Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic light failure

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

This is something that really gets me angry whenever it happens. Where I come from, if the lights fail, by law you treat them as a stop sign. In the case of large intersections it's simply a four way stop (first come first served).

Whenever I encounter failed traffic lights it seems it's every man for themselves here in Ireland. Kinda a "close your eyes and floor it" mentality takes over.

Does anyone know what, if any, the actual rules are here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I love it when they fail, the traffic usually flows much smoother and there's no tailbacks!
    Didn't notice anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Yeah, you're supposed to give way to traffic on your right so the junction should be approached as if it was a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mena wrote: »
    Does anyone know what, if any, the actual rules are here?
    As robbie99 says. By the way, the Rules of the Road would also have answered your question.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Anan1 wrote: »
    As robbie99 says. By the way, the Rules of the Road would also have answered your question.;)

The RotR answer many questions, yet the Irish carry on their merry way. Every time I encounter this it's like I've been transported to India... It's sheer lunacy.

Well maybe not exactly like a roundabout. At a roundabout you yield to to traffic and don't have to stop. If the traffic lights fails you should stop.

Rules for Junctions are here...

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html

I think the key rules are that
    1. Traffic on the Major route has priority.
    2. Where roads have equal priority you give way to traffic from the right (like you would approaching a roundabout).
    3. If two cars want to turn into the same road, the one going straight ahead has priority and a car that is turning left has priority over a car that turning right.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    The RotR answer many questions, yet the Irish carry on their merry way. Every time I encounter this it's like I've been transported to India... It's sheer lunacy.

Oh, that was a retorical question :D. I don't know either :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Theres a junction by charlestown shopping centre in finglas beside where I live. So far the lights have gone on that junction 5 times and so far there each time they've gone theres been at least 1 serious crash (once on a sunday there was 2)

Why people aren't more cautious when lights are out I'll never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There should be a nationwide number you can call when you encounter lights out, something like 991 or something thats used just to report lights out. I think alot of the time everyone assumes that someone else will report the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Considerign the amount of people that stop on roundabouts to let people on or stop before they enter small roundabouts to give way to traffic entering from their left I'm surpries junctions move at all without lights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

robbie99 wrote: »
    I think the key rules are that
    1. Traffic on the Major route has priority.
    2. Where roads have equal priority you give way to traffic from the right (like you would approaching a roundabout).
    3. If two cars want to turn into the same road, the one going straight ahead has priority and a car that is turning left has priority over a car that turning right.
    I'm pretty sure that you are wrong on No. 1, and that both roads are considered equal.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

When driving in Rome a while back, at night a lot of the traffic lights change to flashing amber. This means that you can cross lanes when it is safe to do so.
    It worked very well and the traffic at night flowed quickly.

It is rubbish here in Ireland driving at night sitting at a red traffic light when there is no traffic at all.
    Bit of a Nanny state isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

esel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you are wrong on No. 1, and that both roads are considered equal.

think he coverd that with rule 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    There should be a nationwide number you can call when you encounter lights out, something like 991 or something thats used just to report lights out. I think alot of the time everyone assumes that someone else will report the problem.

If its a major junction then the guards could assist ?

I'm pretty sure I'm right too! Traffic on a minor road has to give way to traffic on a major road at junctions (unless there are traffic lights that work of course!) What makes you believe that they are considered equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

One of the problems I find when trying to cross or turn from a road isn't considered equal is that the traffic on the main road just has no consideration for the traffic on the road of less importance. This can have the consequence of a driver having to inch out in the hope that someone will slow down enough to let them out or the driver forcing their way out leading to an accident.
    It also causes problems and delays on the roads of minor importance. A bit of courtesy would be nice now and again :)

JoeySully wrote: »
    think he coverd that with rule 2 :)
    No, 2 bears no relation to 1.
    robbie99 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm right too! Traffic on a minor road has to give way to traffic on a major road at junctions (unless there are traffic lights that work of course!) What makes you believe that they are considered equal?
    I definitely read it on an official publication years ago.

Not your ornery onager

No, 2 bears no relation to 1.

I definitely read it on an official publication years ago.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html
    Right of way
    • Traffic travelling straight ahead in either direction along a major road has right of way at all times.
    • If you are at a junction where the roads are of equal importance, the traffic on your right has right of way. You must let that traffic pass before moving on. It is important to understand that the right of way is not an absolute right. You must proceed with caution while showing regard for other users of the road.
    [/snip]
    • If you are approaching a junction with a major road, you must yield to other traffic. This means giving right of way or letting them pass before you enter the road you are joining.

^ Your quote does not refer to the scenario of u/s traffic lights. I am definite that I did read that in this situation, all roads become of equal importance, and none has automatic right of way.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

^ Your quote does not refer to the scenario of u/s traffic lights. I am definite that I did read that in this situation, all roads become of equal importance, and none has automatic right of way.
    I was always under that impression too esel. (i.e. give way to the vehicle on one's right).

It gets really interesting when all the lights are stuck on green! :eek: (I would have thought that that was not possible but it was reported on the traffic news one morning!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It gets really interesting when all the lights are stuck on green! :eek:
    I always though of a green light in legal terms as 'proceed with caution' rather than 'I have right of way'..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SteveC wrote: »
    I always though of a green light in legal terms as 'proceed with caution' rather than 'I have right of way'..
    Indeed, one is only permitted to proceed if the way is clear and it is safe to do so but how many motorists consider that?

I was always under that impression too esel. (i.e. give way to the vehicle on one's right).

I was under that impression too hence why I initially said that you just simply treat the junction as a rounabout but I havn't found anything in the ROTR that says this.

If the traffic lights are out then what I think makes sense is the rules governing junctions (that don't have traffic lights) are applied. The first thing there is that traffic on a major road has priority over traffic from a minor road.

If this is not the case then where does it say so? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think the major road rule applies, but what is a major road? (in some cases).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Indeed, one is only permitted to proceed if the way is clear and it is safe to do so but how many motorists consider that?
    Driving in other countries where right on red is permitted (LHD cars) conditions you to scan junctions as you approach them even if you have a green light. What you say is true though and is indicative of the poor driving skills present here.

Advertisement