Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS Office 2007: Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence)[£49.60@Amazon]

• 06-08-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Link here. Not too bad of a price. Includes VAT+delivery.

41MRo3skm8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

* This product can be installed on three computers
    * Contains: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote
    * Create great-looking documents faster and easier using improved picture, charting and graphics tools with Smart Graphics.
    * Create eye-catching spreadsheets and charts with shading and colour in Excel 2007
    * Give documents, spreadsheets and presentations a consistent look automatically with Themes
    * See formatting changes in one click using Live Preview.
    * Get better results fast, with improved user interface, menus and toolbars.
    * Gather, organize and search your notes and information in one place with Office OneNote 2007
    * Remove comments, hidden text and personal information from documents with Document Inspector
    * Recover documents lost while working during inopportune system problems through the Document Recovery Tool

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you actually are a student, or have a student in your family, you can get a better version from here for much cheaper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just remembered that you get 3 licences with ruu's one, whereas you only get one with the software4student one. Depends on your needs really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

If you use MS Office in your place of work, you are sometimes entitled to a free copy of MS Office to install on your home PC, "as long as you continue to work with the same employer". You just pay for the p&p - approx €20

Check with your employer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thanks lads.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Still way overpriced imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

OpenOffice.org - http://www.openoffice.org - is free and fully MS Office compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

OpenOffice.org - http://www.openoffice.org - is free and fully MS Office compatible.

its dodgy and looks like its been created 10 years ago

btw:
    the same version in Poland is about e50

Here comes the open office brigade... I'm surprised Oracle wasnt first in there with the Oo comment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

Oh come on...

It is not dodgy. This is a well known piece of software with a long history which is still partially sponsored by Sun Microsystems.

It's not as polished or featured as MS Office, but it is constantly updated and will read all Office files. I have found that occasionally it interprets formatting slightly differently to Office, so I might be wary of using it in a customer facing role, but for home use, for free, this is unbeatable software.

PS: For opening Office 2007 documents you will need OpenOffice 3, which is still in beta, but available for everyone.

Ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

As above, it is not dodgy in the slightest. Don't want to hijack a thread with an Open Office debate but there is no call to post misleading information about Open Office. And given it is completely free, with no strings attached, people should be encouraged to test it for themselves first before paying a high premium to get Microsoft's version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Nearly fullly office compatible.

Forgetting about xlsx, docx, pptx ect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I believe I read somewhere that you can install the software4students version on 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop, so it's not a bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Details on the Microsoft HUP are available here:

https://hup.microsoft.com/

Please Note:

"The Home Use Program is only available to employees of Microsoft® Volume Licensing Software Assurance customers. Only employees who received eligibility notification directly from their employers are authorized to use this site."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

And if you use the Microsoft HUP site be aware that it doesn't like apostrophes in your name (O'Driscoll, etc.)
    I thought I'd seen the last of those sites in 1996!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Here comes the open office brigade... I'm surprised Oracle wasnt first in there with the Oo comment :pac:

Hi Jmccrohan, I can see you don't like OpenOffice, although yesterday you were suggesting someone use Linux: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56810260&postcount=4 I'm glad you can see the benefits of free software. :D

Oracle wrote: »
    Hi Jmccrohan, I can see you don't like OpenOffice, although yesterday you were suggesting someone use Linux: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56810260&postcount=4 I'm glad you can see the benefits of free software. :D
    Notice how I said the openoffice brigade and not the opensource brigade? ;)

I'm all for open source software :D

And yes i realised utorrent is not opensource after i posted it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nearly fullly office compatible.

Forgetting about xlsx, docx, pptx ect...
    Let's not forget that those on dial up with legitimate but older versions of office would have to download a 25MB patch to read the new format and another 25 MB security patch to be safe. And users of third party office products can't read the new format natively either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

I got the same package from Dabs.ie for 104.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This product is now £49.60 (not incl. vat+delivery).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it's £39.99 if you buy certain electronics as well Use promotional code OFFICED4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000167303
    choose networking hardware and get a cheapest usb hub at £3.89 :D
    Not sure if shipping would go up though.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/HA101655301033.aspx FAQ
    Are there license restrictions to Office Home and Student 2007?
    Yes Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households. It cannot be used in commercial (business) situations.

Do I need to have a student in my household in order to qualify to purchase and use Office Home and Student 2007?
    No.

You could download Office2007HNS_MSLT_EN.EXE and run it to extract the license terms in .pdf / .xps :rolleyes:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7467D5C4-FA3A-4F9F-82B6-CBCD6108A980&displaylang=en

BTW www.openoffice.org 3 now reads the office 2007 format files like .docx and .xlsx ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

....BTW www.openoffice.org 3 now reads the office 2007 format files like .docx and .xlsx ;)

... and now with this OpenOffice Extension you can also import and edit PDF files! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ruu wrote: »
    This product is now £49.60 (not incl. vat+delivery).

Did Tesco in Ireland not have it at that price, I was holding a copy of the 3 PC Student version and it was 49 euro. This would have been December 23rd, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

jayteecork wrote: »
    Still way overpriced imo.

How is this overpriced?

It is, by far, the best work processor (Word) and spreadsheet (Excel) that you can get for a computer. I'll admit that it takes a while to get used to the "ribbon" interface in this version

I have tried openoffice on a few occasions and find it pretty terrible. One would have to be pretty badly off to be willing to put up with the vastly inferior openoffice rather than pay the approx. 30euro (16.33 with this deal) per computer that this program costs.

What you would believe to be a fair price for such a great product? Bearing in mind that it is very expensive for Microsoft to develop and support.

I have always used Office in work and I believe that it is worth far more more Microsoft actually charge for the full version due to the increase in productivity that it provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

it's £39.99 if you buy certain electronics as well Use promotional code OFFICED4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000167303
    choose networking hardware and get a cheapest usb hub at £3.89 :D

Mmmm. I don't think that's what the offer is. If you spend at least £39.99 in electronics THEN Office is reduced to £39.99 with that discount code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

btw:
    the same version in Poland is about e50
    For the record ...Open Office is not dodgy. There are about 40 million users of this program. It works well with most versions of Linux and reads 'word' docs too
    jmccrohan wrote:
    Just remembered that you get 3 licences with ruu's one, whereas you only get one with the software4student one. Depends on your needs really.
    Well it says actually 2 computer at software4student here for €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Looks like a good deal Gonna buy one for the kids.

After all they are students all be they very young ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I think i read somewhere on the amazon uk site that they don't ship electronics or software to ROI.

Binka wrote: »
    I think i read somewhere on the amazon uk site that they don't ship electronics or software to ROI.
    send it to a friend in the UK , to save postage, they could then send you a copy of the DVD / serial or what have you

shame it only allows the discount if you buy €40 of electronics :(

Advertisement