Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with alternate tuning

• 06-08-2008 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey, I'm trying to learn Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez, great song and looks quite easy but I have no idea how to get the tuning right. It's D-A-D-F#-B-E
    with a capo on the 1st.Can anyone help me out here, couldnt find a thing on google.

I've played in a different tuning before with The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin but I knew how to do this with a tuner, or by ear even but I havent a clue here with this one.What I'd like is to know how to use relative tuning to get here,from standard.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

From standard tuning (EADGBe). Tune the 3rd string down half a step from G to F#. Tune the 6th string down a whole step from E to D. That's pretty much it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Sorry I should have been more specific, I need to know what string and fret to hold to compare to what I need to change.

Ie for the rain song I hold the 7th fret on the D string to get the G to be what I need it changed to.So how would I go about doing the same thing for this tuning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

To drop to D, the note will be the same as the open D, the 3rd string, as well as the 5th fret of the A string.

To get the F#. It will be the same as the 4th fret on the D string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Thanks for the help, think I've got it.

Quick question though, I'm told the E string is dropping a whole tone,would it be fair to say that if I drop down and hold the 2nd fret on the E string and use a tuner to get it to be E, that it is in fact at the d?To me that is easier than trying to match up the d with the E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Anam wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, think I've got it.

Quick question though, I'm told the E string is dropping a whole tone,would it be fair to say that if I drop down and hold the 2nd fret on the E string and use a tuner to get it to be E, that it is in fact at the d?To me that is easier than trying to match up the d with the E

Yes, if you drop it a whole tone and fret at the 2nd fret you will have E again, provided the intonation on your guitar is correct. ;):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement