Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Connemara for weekend

Options
  • 06-08-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

I know someone taking their family to connemara for a weekend. Is there any places they can visit things to do etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Sweet fa mate.

It depends on the weather, if its nice you can just do some sightseeing, but otherwise there isnt a hell of a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

Dog's bay by roundstone
    white sand and a little penincula to stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know someone taking their family to connemara for a weekend. Is there any places they can visit things to do etc.
    • Kylemore Abbey maybe.
    • Killary Harbour for a cruise.
    • Leenane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Day trip to Aran islands perhaps??

Clifden??

Ballyconneely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Day trip to Aran islands perhaps??

Clifden??

Ballyconneely??

what's Clifden like. Thinking of staying a few days there myself (with the family). do a bit of pony trekking, fishing, maybe a boat trip to some deserted place that sort of thing.

would Clifden be a good place to use as a base?

I've also seen a good hotel in Oughtered, but that looks a bit err in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Clifden is a really good base - the Abbeyglen Hotel is lovely to stay in (wel the food is FAB anyway!)

At night, there is trad music in the local pubs too which is usualyl top notch and not the contrived "tourist" trad.

Kylemore Abbely is a must, as is Dogs Bay and Roundstone - stop for lunch in O'Dowds, really good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Clifden is lovely!

Probably nicer midweek tho, as it tends to be invaded by the 'urban chic' types at the weekend!!

It'd be a very good base really, better than Oughterard, even though Oughterard is closer to Galway, also im not aware of any particularly nice hotels in Oughterard, so it might be best avoided!!

Plenty to do in and around Clifden also, but be warned, the road out to it is atrocious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

35notout wrote: »
    Clifden is a really good base - the Abbeyglen Hotel is lovely to stay in (wel the food is FAB anyway!)

At night, there is trad music in the local pubs too which is usualyl top notch and not the contrived "tourist" trad.

Kylemore Abbely is a must, as is Dogs Bay and Roundstone - stop for lunch in O'Dowds, really good!!

Thanks, I'll make a note of that. I was looking at the Station House Hotel which looks nice.
    Clifden is lovely!

Probably nicer midweek tho, as it tends to be invaded by the 'urban chic' types at the weekend!!

It'd be a very good base really, better than Oughterard, even though Oughterard is closer to Galway, also im not aware of any particularly nice hotels in Oughterard, so it might be best avoided!!

Plenty to do in and around Clifden also, but be warned, the road out to it is atrocious!!!

Not sure we are "Chic" but that would be us :D

I can't remember the name of the hotel I looked at, it is on the edge of the Lough and is an old manor house. it looked quite nice but i think with a family Clifden is the best bet.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement