Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday mishaps

Options
  • 06-08-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

So, it's 3:30am here in Japan, and in spite of being madly exhausted yesterday I can't sleep. So far on this holiday, (which is going great in spit of this thread and my inability to sleep :p), I've lost a lense from my glasses (drunken debauchery) and I managed to leave a bag with my passport in the last hostel (drunken morning rousal!).

So let's hear the holiday nightmare stories!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Was accosted by two dodgy ticket inspectors with very little english in Hungary after 'forgetting' to purchase a ticket on the subway.

They started asking us for bribes to make the fine go away.

Not a nightmare really but was in spain few years ago and my Aunt asked some spanish homeless man with no arms for directions:D

Pissed my self

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In lanzarote, looks at the plug socket! "Oh whats this button sticking out". Volts and watts shoot down my finger through my body. Something metal stuck to the live part! Wanted to do it again for ages :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I'm going on my first ever holiday next year. I wanted to go this year but I don't really think I'll be able to realistically get the required funds together in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Neesa wrote: »
    I'm going on my first ever holiday next year. I wanted to go this year but I don't really think I'll be able to realistically get the required funds together in time.

So you'll be bumping this thread next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

In Morocco a couple of years ago I was walking towards the beach when an army of red ants decided they liked me and proceeded to follow me everywhere I went. I don't just mean for a few mins, I mean the entire day. I thought I lost them in the stalls but they were still there (growing in numbers I might add). Finally at the evening meal in the hotel I looked on the ground under my table and there were hundreds of them. The waiter finally asked me how did they get there. Suffice to say I told him the story of my days excursion and told him they were now my official fan club. I received many confused looks for the duration of my stay there. By the way this happened on Day 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

DenMan wrote: »
    In Morocco a couple of years ago I was walking towards the beach when an army of red ants decided they liked me and proceeded to follow me everywhere I went. I don't just mean for a few mins, I mean the entire day. I thought I lost them in the stalls but they were still there (growing in numbers I might add). Finally at the evening meal in the hotel I looked on the ground under my table and there were hundreds of them. The waiter finally asked me how did they get there. Suffice to say I told him the story of my days excursion and told him they were now my official fan club. I received many confused looks for the duration of my stay there. By the way this happened on Day 2.

Very similar thing happened to me, only with young nubile girls not ants. Fact.

I know which one I would prefer crawling up my legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

So you'll be bumping this thread next year?

Well, I hope not, it's about holiday mishaps. Fingers crossed my first one will go without emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Neesa wrote: »
    Well, I hope not, it's about holiday mishaps. Fingers crossed my first one will go without emergencies.
    Ah the innocence. You'll lose your luggage, get molested on a bus/train, get mugged during the day or all of the above.

Couple of weeks ago I was in Berlin. I was on the toilet taking a dump when I heard someone at the door, I should probably mention that there was no door lock. After hearing the person enter and root around the room they opened the door. It was the maid who stared at me for about a minute (while I was dropping a load) trying to figure out what my rapid rambling was. She didn't have the brains to think 'perhaps he wants me to close the door'. Only person I met in Germany who didn't speak English happens to be the one who walks in on me taking a sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I hate that when the cleaning staff walk in on you doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Was on a bus from Dubrovnik to Split, all in Croatia so I left passport at hotel. Little did I know about the bus going into Bosnia & Herzgovina. The bus stopped at border and security came on.
    Guard didn't even let me finish my sentence he just walked off, obviously I looked like a tourist, and Croatian police are very casual anway. Although he took another youth off the bus who never came back on...

Same holiday, on the way to airport on way home, I got a taxi. Pulled up at airport to find I had only half the fare!!! He was annoyed but still let me send the rest to him by post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I mumbled a girls name in my sleep on holidays. Not the girlfriends name, but I'm with the "mumbled name" now 8 months! Does that count???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Had a sunbed mishap.
    As it was busy at the pool,and i was situated at the edge of the pool with my sunbed and laying comfortably and going to sleep.
    Bam! next thing i was in the pool!
    i thought wtf happened.
    At the time there was a water polo match in the pool.
    A stray football hit the sunbed hood and caused it to drop and in i went to the pool!
    funny times!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Got cornered by crack dealers in Amsterdam. Wasn't funny at all. Had to push my way past them but still scary.

In Denmark, got so drunk one night that I missed the last bus to where I was staying. Wouldn't be another one till later next morning. The good aul people in the Irish bar let me stay in a bed upstairs :D. Man what a night!!

Advertisement