Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fast commuter bike-maybe this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It's not a bad bike for the money and much fun could be had riding it, but it's not an ideal commuter bike.

For dedicated commuting, especially this winter, I'd recommend, something slightly less sporty with:

A rack to keep a bag with your change of clothes (it's more comfortable than a backpack)
    Mudguards (event partial ones) to keep you dry.
    Lights.
    Rear reflector.
    Maybe less gears, for ease of maintenance.
    Slightly fatter tyres.
    Straight bars.

That said, I ride something like the one you've chosen as I don't have space for a selection of bikes. The roads take a toll out of the lightweight wheels, be prepared to replace them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

TBH it looks a bit crap. You can do a cheapo conversion job to turn a toyota MR2 into a ferrari. It looks the part (almost) but it doesn't really handle like one. I'm not saying you need a ferrari to commute in, but a cheap road bike wouldn't be a lot of fun.

For double that money (yes double, but best buy a good one now rather than realise it later) you can get a nice Specialized Sirrus. Far better for commuting and probably more enjoyable. Important thing is that its a better built bike with better parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't do it, you would be better off with a hybrid. Hybrids become decent at a lower price point than road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Cheap wheels never last

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Have a look at the Giant Escape r2

Got one recently and it's all going well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement