Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest breakfast for coeliac?

• 06-08-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Breakfast is the only problem meal I find in the day. I end up eating toasted gluten free bread with a cappuchino but I am ravenous by 10.30 am or so! I've tried the gluten free porridge and muesli on the market but they are horrible (IMHO). And eggs make me nauseous. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you don't have weird hangups about what time is suitable for certain foods, then why not steak or chicken, or the more acceptable (for reasons I still am trying to figure out!) breakfast animal, pigs, though sausages usually will have grains in them.

I also have pancakes, I presume there is gluten free flour readily available in most places, though I use porridge oats myself, liquidised up. I hear oats are supposed to be suitable but there is some debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Try some of the thin cut steak you can buy in all supermarkets. They fry in a non-stick pan in a couple of minutes, throw in some mushrooms and you have a really quick breakfast that will be keep you going for ages.

Actually, I had a pork chop for breakfast this morning, and didn't even think about food again until 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

You could make the oatmeal more tolerable by adding
    a half-teaspoon of cinnamon, fresh blueberries and
    1 or 2 tablespoons of cold-milled flaxseed (if doing
    this make sure to drink extra water daily to help with
    the 'digestion' of extra fibre). Paired with some suitable
    low-fat cheese this makes for a well-balanced, long
    -lasting breakfast. G'luck :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

And if its the texture of cooked oats that you don't like, why not try having them raw with some fruit and milk/yoghurt? There's a thread somewhere on here about summer porridge recipes that has loads of suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

How about Buckwheat porridge?
    Buckwheat can be safely eaten by people who have celiac disease as it does not contain gluten. Buckwheat can be a good substitute for wheat, oats, rye and barley in a gluten-free diet.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

You might find some ideas on this blog - apparently it came runner up in some blog awards.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2006/10/finally-breakfast-that-does-not.html

Mmm..

cozmik wrote: »

Buckwheat is an acquired taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

what about a fruit salad with some yogurt, you can throw in some seeds and/or nuts as well for a bit of variety.

And do you not like eggs at all? Because an omlette can be great to fill you up for a few hours but isn't as 'eggy' as say scrambled eggs.

Or you could try cheese on rice cakes or a bacon sarnie using rice cakes, works for a bean burger for my lunch so why not with rashers or something....(unless I am being an idiot here and there is gluton in rice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks to all who replied. Def going to try some of those suggestions. I tend to eat something quick and easy in the morning cause I have two children that I have to get up and dressed and fed to bring with me to drop off on the way to work.... so breakfast is a fast affair for me. I really do have to eat before I leave the house though cause if I don't it's really hard to get something to eat after due to the coeliac condition. I'd love to be able to just eat a bowl of porridge like other people with diff things in it cause I have the impression its very filling and healthy. Not sure to be honest that I would have time to make any kind of meat or cooked breakfast but can try.

Advertisement