Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New games on PS3.

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just something thats bugging me lately with games for the PS3.
    I'm not a mad gamer or anything ,but I've had most consoles down through the years or at least played on them. Commodore 64 ,Spectrum etc.

What I've noticed lately is that ,games seem to be going back in time where everything had to load up in segments. I've never had a 360 xbox ,so maybe thats the way things have been for a while.

Am I mad to expect a fluid ,uninterrupted game on a console ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

what do ya mean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Do you mean no loading screens? Its the one downside of optical media but the pay-off is huge in return. Depending on the game and developer, the loading can be reduced or hidden in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

ongarite wrote: »
    Do you mean no loading screens? Its the one downside of optical media but the pay-off is huge in return. Depending on the game and developer, the loading can be reduced or hidden in the background.

Yeah thats what I was talking about ,so maybe more can be expected from the ps3 as more game engines are available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

311 wrote: »
    ...but I've had most consoles down through the years or at least played on them. Commodore 64 ,Spectrum etc.

<pedant>
    Grrrrrrr. These are not consoles.........
    <\pedant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

IrishTLR wrote: »
    <pedant>
    Grrrrrrr. These are not consoles.........
    <\pedant>

Its a travesty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

311 wrote: »
    Hello ,just something thats bugging me lately with games for the PS3.
    I'm not a mad gamer or anything ,but I've had most consoles down through the years or at least played on them. Commodore 64 ,Spectrum etc.

What I've noticed lately is that games seem to be going back in time where everything had to load up in segments. I've never had a 360 xbox ,so maybe thats the way things have been for a while.

Am I mad to expect a fluid ,uninterrupted game on a console ?

It's to do with Installation time vs Loading time. The PS3 is capable of 'Installing everything' on the hard drive but it would mean using masses amount of Hard Drive space, and seriously long installation times. Most PS3 users would moan, and cry at this, so developers opt to have loading times instead. It kinda makes sense with the low storage space on the PS3 and the fact you have to have the disk in anyway to play the game. The best example of no loading times is GTA IV and Midnight Club LA, both created by Rockstar. Obviously these have initial loading times when starting, but once the game is up and running that's it.

I think most games should be available to download anyways. But I suppose this can only be done when people have endless amounts of HD space to store very large games. And unlimited broadband because one game would push me over my monthly limit.

Advertisement