Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen Replacement Problem

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have 4 halogen down lights in the kitchen and tried to replace the 12V 35W bulb, with 12V 18 LED MR16.

Problem is when switched on they barely flicker for a split second and then nothing, same thing happens in my brothers house.

I know it's not the bulb cause it works fine in my sisters house.

Here's a pic of 1 of the 4 transformer. Any ideas why they won't work.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i think whats happening is led lamps need an led driver which is similar to a traffo, allthough some traffos do work with them. as far as i know standard wirewound traffos work and if the existing lights are on a dimmer this could also cause a problem.
    ps this is a semi educated guess:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the IBL traffo is a good unit, its electronic, but wirewound is the way to go for a lot of LED fittings (according to the sellers) so I'd say northdublin has hit the nail on the head. I dont know why it makes a difference, 12V DC should be 12V DC, I must look into it more, must have something to do with the initial switch on conditions, but they do recommend wirewound traffos over electronic.

the guys here http://www.loweleds.com

should sell and advise (their site says to call em with questions) having said that wire wound traffos are not that difficult to get many wholesalers stock them.

Advertisement