Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike!?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What riding are you intending on doing and what do you like about these particular ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What kind of cycling you intend to do would be a good place to start the questions I guess.

Also, any reason you have singled out these two bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why do you need full suspension? On bikes that price, it's not worth it.
    Do you plan to ride off road on it or purely on road?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If looking in Halfords, the Carrera and Boardman bikes are meant to be good, Apollo not so much.

I would not buy a full suspension bike at that sort of price.

If it is for going off road, spend a bit more and get a decent entry-level hardtail.

If it is for on road, get a hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

They're both crap, essentially..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 davehalligan

Raam wrote: »
    Why do you need full suspension? On bikes that price, it's not worth it.
    Do you plan to ride off road on it or purely on road?
    it would be for mainly on road

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

There are two options that most on here would agree with.
    A: Spend more, you'll be glad, comfort, better quality meaning less problems etc.
    B: Go for that price second hand, you will get a decent bike for a pretty good price.

As someone else said, the two you linked are a bit rubbishy. And if its for road use buy a road bike or a hybrid, no point lugging mtb weight over tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 davehalligan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

You'd be mad to go with a mountain bike for road use - you'll go much slower than a hybrid or road bike but probably be putting more energy into it.

Why people default to opting for mountain bikes is beyond me. I think it's because there's some myth out there that any wheels that aren't absolutely massive will buckle really easily on our roads, but that's not the case.

Go for a hybrid/cruiser and you'll be getting a bike much more suited to your needs. For example, a quick look shows this would be more suitable.

What Frank said although I'd drop the suspension fork on the 3.0 CRS and go for the one without it for €60 cheaper.

If you must have a suspension fork and don't want to listen as to how it is unnecessary, heavy and will sap your pedalling power, Frank's link above is still better than anything you have linked to so far.

If you are set on a "MTB" type bike regardless the Giant you linked _would_ likely be better than the two you linked initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh I just had a quick scan and didn't notice it had suspension on it - the cheaper one Blorg posts with no suspension is defo the way to go.

I now commute on my road bike but still have my old Lappiere hybrid which was actually a lovely bike but I never used the suspension on it so was just carrying dead weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

Do you think the Giant CRS or Dawes 20Four would be a better buy?

Colm

Giant CRS is a better bike, Dawes 20Four is a hell of a lot cheaper. The CRS is likely to be a fair bit sportier although the Dawes is probably fine as a commuter/hack (I have a Dawes myself for this purpose.)

Advertisement