Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choosing between a 1.4 petrol and 1.9 diesel van - please help!

• 06-08-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Several threads later and I am still looking at Citroen Berlingos...

I now have the choice of a 1.4 petrol or 1.9 diesel, same year, roughly same mileage, roughly the same asking price.

At first I didn't even consider the 1.9 diesel as I thought it would be too expensive to run, but I've been told that the diesel car-vans are actually quite economical... Is there a much of a muchness between the two in terms of fuel cost? I do about 20-25,000 miles a year.

If they're both gonna cost the same to run in terms of fuel, I'll have the diesel, please! :D

Comments

What year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oops sorry, they're both 2001 reg. and they're both the passenger models, rather than commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I presume its the Berlingo Multispace your taking about ? No 1.4 in the commercial van.

Go for the diesel every time . Much more economical and a better drive. at 20,000 miles you should save the extra road tax etc.

The Multispace is a really nice, comfortable driver with loads of space. These type of van derived cars are really popular on the continent but we seem to have a snobbish view of them here. Great for lugging kids bikes, sports gear etc.

Yes - it is the Multispace - sorry for not being more specific! I think they're great! I've got two dogs, so they're a very practical choice for me. I haven't ruled out going down the road of buying a commercial yet, but I am fond of the 1.9 diesel that I saw and asking price isn't too bad either - €3500!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have you driven the diesel?

Very few of the diesel Multispaces came with the HDI engine, instead the were fitted with the old 1.9 (I think it's a pre-chamber ?) warhorse.

It is not very enjoyable to drive ..the 1.4 petrol actually has more bhp and feels a lot livelyer. Add to that the difference in tax and it really becomes a difficult decision.

• Advertisement

Yup - drove the diesel about two weeks ago, and hope to take it out again tomorrow now that I'm considering it again... Nice responsive drive, gears easily found, smooth clutch... couldn't fault it, really! (Except for the higher tax and insurance costs, of course.)

Advertisement