Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing CDs?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I recently bought Drakengard for the Ps2 from Gamestop. Turns out the CD was polished as it was already scratched, but they did a pretty bad job of it. I have gotten CDs repaired before, where they skim a tiny layer of the surface off or something, and I think it would be worth doing it this time, as I've lost my receipt. Does anyone know anywhere in the city centre that can resurface CDs?

And also, do any of you guys know any home methods to repair CDs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Toothpaste trick.

Put a pea sized amount on a sock. Find the scratch on the disc. Rub a bit. Wash disc. dry. Put in console.

Repeat until it works :)

Edit - make sure you rub from the middle toward the edge and not around in a circle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Toothpaste I have. Clean Sock I don't :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You can get CD repair kits in shops, I have one and its worked all the time! You could try the home methods too.

Master of the Universe

I'd say use toothpaste first. Has worked on quite a few ps2 games for me. Actually only recently enough on a second hand copy of Crisis Zone.

(Then I found out lightguns don't work with LCDs and it was all pointless. Grr)

The thing is with this game is that someone has polished the disc already with some machine but it was a poor finish. My Machine recognises there is a disc in the tray but won't boot it up. I'll give the toothpaste a try, what's the worst that could happen...

Also, sorry about your Crisis Zone O1s1n, I wanted to get that game but I haven't got a light gun so I didn't bother. It looked cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I always buy pre owned games and i always ask to have a look at the disc surface before i buy it, Most of the time its just unwanted gifts traded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Will the toothpaste trick work with laser burn as well?
    My brothers rock band disk has a laser burn in it because the console was moved slightly by accident when the disk was spinning. Game have told him that they have a machine to fix it but it was away getting repaired. This was about 4-5 weeks ago and its still the same story from them so if it could be fixed with toothpaste he would be very happy.

Normally I do the same, but I really wanted to try out Drakengard because Square made it and I thought it might be a little bit like Panzer Dragoon. I hadn't seen a copy of it in ages and had sort of given up hope.

Master of the Universe

BFassassin wrote: »
    Will the toothpaste trick work with laser burn as well?
    My brothers rock band disk has a laser burn in it because the console was moved slightly by accident when the disk was spinning. Game have told him that they have a machine to fix it but it was away getting repaired. This was about 4-5 weeks ago and its still the same story from them so if it could be fixed with toothpaste he would be very happy.

What kind of damage does laser burn do? If it's physical damage to the surface of the disc like a scratch and the layer with the data isn't effected then toothpaste will work.

It's just a mild abrasive. When you're rubbing the scratch with it, you're basically taking off tiny pieces of the disc. Eventually the laser will be able to get to the data.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Normally I do the same, but I really wanted to try out Drakengard because Square made it and I thought it might be a little bit like Panzer Dragoon. I hadn't seen a copy of it in ages and had sort of given up hope.

It is very like PAnzer Dragoon except the Panzer Dragoon games are some of the greatest games ever made and Drakengard is a steaming pile of shit. Remember kids never trust a Square game that was released after Final Fantasy X and especially one thats so shit Square wouldn't even publish it themselves.

My advice is not to repair, trade it in or better still break the game so that you don't inflict it on some other sorry soul.

• Advertisement

Oh feck :/ Oh why didn't I ask you first oh wise Retro? ;)

Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Oh feck :/ Oh why didn't I ask you first oh wise Retro? ;)

Then again, he likes FFX...can you really trust his opinion? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Who doesn't?
    Best battle system, excellent story, complex development system and the best (IMO) minigame ever in Blitzball.

And Auron FTW...."Enough!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No need to consult me, just check out the reviews, although it suffers a bit from crazy score inflation that square enix games undeservedly get at times.

As for FFX, I'll never have a bad word said about it!

Smyth's in town just off Parnell Street. They have a machine that repairs CDs very well. Costs you 4 yoyo's mind.

How much to buy a machine tho?

Who can recommend a model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I think Game do a cd repair service for about a fiver.

Id rather own the machine tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

The machine in Game works wonders. I got my Rockband fixed after a lazer burn. It works like a charm now! Woo!

It's €5 for one Disk, €9 for three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I went to game with a disc to see if it would work
    It was Arma, the disc wasn't that badly scratched, more guffed then anything.

Alas, no luck. It cleaned most the crap off but it still didn't work

• Advertisement
Advertisement