Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland Membership

Options
  • 06-08-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Just to clarify the CI fees mentioned earlier in the Tour of Kildare thread below is a link to the 2008 CI fees.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/si...?doc=252&cat=3

The €30 licence fee mentioned is really just intended for non cycling club members who volunteer to marshall etc at events.

Cycling membership is €35 if you are a member of an affiliated club or €65 if not. Most members in my club who do not race in open events take out a club competition licence.(€50/€80 non club) this allows them race in local/club events and in leisure events. If they want to race in an open event listed on the CI calendar they still have to purchase a one day licence.

Riders who race regularily wil take out a full competition licence (€115)/€145 non club) which covers all events.

Benefits are 24/7 public liability cover, personal accident cover, legal cover and a copy of the CI handbook which will list all the racing and leisure events for the year and contact details etc.

From my experience in reality the level of cover is pretty low but l'd rather have it then not.

If you take part in a few leisure events in the year you won't be long recovering the €50 club competition licence.

(BTW I'm not an apologist for Cycling Ireland having had various run ins with them in the recent past as they seem to be well meaning but disorganised with very few resources but they are the national body)

I would HIGHLY recommend all cyclists join a cycling club though. The extra €20/€30 euro for club membership you will recover on the cost of the licence but more to the point you will be supporting the people who organize the events, coach the youngsters and generally keep cycling going in Ireland. Cycling clubs are the back bone of the sport and get zero support from Cycling Ireland. Its also a invaluable source of information for the type of questions that regularily pop up here about gear,training, equipment etc.

Comments

Advertisement