Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista and IE probs

• 06-08-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Hi, Used XP for years no problems got new vista laptop and still getting used to it. Just wondering is there a problem with vista and IE?
    IE keeps shutting down for no apparent reason, sometimes won't open a site then shuts down when i keep trying to open that site.
    Don't know much about computers, but done couple of scans and cleared browsing history etc, no joy.
    Also have safari on same laptop never any trouble so mainly use that.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try running internet explorer in safe mode (go into start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Addons), this will load up IE without any addons and possibly fix fix it if its a conflicting addon thats the problem

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi again.
    Just tried as you said and got "Internet explorer is currently running without add-ons"
    Any other idea's? Please?
    It's not a constant problem but quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

this isnt the first IE problem ive heard about recently but i never read too much into it. Frankly if you can, download FF3 and see if that doesnt crash on you as well.

Think I'll just stick to safari, been reading old threads and they're making me nervous.
    Have firefox never use it, i'll try it. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i find lots of programs crash without reason in vista.

ff2 used to crash all the time on my. ff3 fixed that.

i think every program i have at the moment has just crashed without cause

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

i find lots of programs crash without reason in vista.

ff2 used to crash all the time on my. ff3 fixed that.

i think every program i have at the moment has just crashed without cause

Firefox 2 never used to crash on me that much though i do admit it did have it's "funny" moments.
    mymo wrote: »
    Think I'll just stick to safari, been reading old threads and they're making me nervous.
    Have firefox never use it, i'll try it. thanks.

I'd be wary of Safari, apart from the fact that the first time i downloaded it it crashed 3 times within 5 mins but this article also makes some interesting reading:

http://www.technibble.com/ditch-safari/

Personally i think firefox 3 is about the best there is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FF2 and the FF3 betas crashed frequently. no such issues after 3's official launch. Main culprit of the crashes was gmail though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Overheal wrote: »
    FF2 and the FF3 betas crashed frequently. no such issues after 3's official launch. Main culprit of the crashes was gmail though.

Never used Gmail so that'd explain why i didn't have the frequent crashes

Thanks mod for moving this, and sorry i posted in wrong place:o.
    Tried out ff and did crash few times and froze up then crashed, I got rid and downloaded ff3 and so far so good.
    As for safari, Used that because have a Macbook i mainly use and am familiar with it, never had any problems. Have anti phishing and loads of other stuff updated daily(not paranoid honest,well maybe a bit) so not really worried.
    Mainly daughter uses this machine and thinks she's jinxed, so I've been trying it out. And yes lots of stuff just goes transparent then dies. Was alittle worried it might be laptop but seems like OS. Not impressed.:mad:
    Thanks for help i'll experiment with ff3 see how it goes.
    Mymo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Vista. Try reinstalling Internet Explorer as if this really was a Vista and IE only problem a lot more people would be experiencing it. Don't just install it over the old installation though as this probably wouldn't fix it.

IE running fine (as does Vista) on my machine for two years now. That said i switched to firefox for most things but some work software requires IE.

Well firefox3 just shut down on me. Twice.
    Had been working fine up until now, used alot last couple of days. First time got a message, second it just went pale and disappeared.
    Will try to reinstall IE again(tried this after first week) maybe did something wrong. If it keeps up I'll have to get it looked at. Really winding me up now.
    Also mail is a nightmare, have completely given up on it.
    Only things haven't crashed are safari and google earth.

Well it sounds like you have a bigger issue than IE crashing. I'm not sure what's causing all your software to crash but that obviously isn't right.

I'm not sure what could cause it but here some general advice. Someone else may have some more specific help to give.
    You should run memcheck on your ram to ensure no problems there and perhaps a clean reinstall/repair. Sounds like something could be corrupt somewhere. Perhaps run a chkdsk and a defrag too.

I'm not that good with computers just know the basics. Starting an advanced course next month. So not sure how to do some of what you suggest, Did look on microsoft site and used something(can't remember name off top of head) which checked everything and did defrag. Results said all fine, defrag results 11% and 0%. I presume it meant all well, but I'm getting it looked at at weekend. googled memcheck, Oh my god!http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif which one to choose, this may take a while. I'll let you know how i get on.
    Thanks.:)

Is it only Internet broswers that crash or do other programs also crash?

Memtest86 is the name of the software but you can probably avoid that for now. It's more a general troubleshooting step.

Did memtest, no problems detected.
    ^Have had probs with several things crashing. Check above.
    Giving up, have someone taking a look at weekend so hopefully i'll get sorted.
    Thanks guys and girls.

Sorry didn't see that you other programmes other than internet browsers crashing (infact i still don't see where but that aint important :p ).

Good luck getting it sorted.

Sorry was rushing and annoyed(ff3 shut down in middle of answer and had to start again) last answer.
    list of things that have crashed:
    IE,FF2,FF3,MS Office,couple of daughters games, Media player, All stuff for (phone Bluetooth exchange file, pic edit, SE software),Mail died and can't get it to work right at all i may have to start from scratch there,and couple more.
    Didn't crash:
    Google earth, safari, itunes,paintshop pro (not used much yet) and printer suite.
    That's all i can think of off hand.

Advertisement