Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safes and alarms

Options
  • 06-08-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Went into the Garda station and renewed my shotgun licenses and submitted my application for a new .223(first rifle), the Guard took my application and told me that the crime prevention officer(Portlaoise area) would be out to inspect my house and that he would insist on a safe and an alarm (even though there was no mention of this when I talked to the firearms officer before putting the deposit on the rifle). The safe I have no problem with but as I am in the middle of building the house there is no way I can afford to install an alarm yet, is it a legal requirement to fit an alarm or is it just recommended and where do I stand if I can't fit the alarm:confused:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The Super can require an alarm. If you can't fit the alarm, your choices are:
    • Ask the Super to drop the requirement, explain why you can't get the alarm and hope that he/she lets you have the certificate.
    • Not get the rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just to cheer the OP up a bit :)

Your FO said the crime prevention officer would require it. It may be the case that the FO has seen the CPO requiring alarms for other firearms for example where there are maybe three or more firearms or where there is a pistol. He may not know the actual requirement and its best to talk to the CPO first.

He's the guy who will make the recommendation and he's the guy you'll have to persuade that your security is sufficient without the alarm. As you're building, he may suggest some things that would improve your security without costing an arm and a leg and which you could incorporate whilst building.

Don't panic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Went into the Garda station and renewed my shotgun licenses and submitted my application for a new .223(first rifle), the Guard took my application and told me that the crime prevention officer(Portlaoise area) would be out to inspect my house and that he would insist on a safe and an alarm (even though there was no mention of this when I talked to the firearms officer before putting the deposit on the rifle). The safe I have no problem with but as I am in the middle of building the house there is no way I can afford to install an alarm yet, is it a legal requirement to fit an alarm or is it just recommended and where do I stand if I can't fit the alarm:confused:

To be fair to the CPO in Laois, he's dead sound. The same was said to me when I went for my centrefire, and I had no choice in the matter.

But the one thing that bugs me is the fact that people that got centrefires prior to this "no alarm - no rifle" policy, do not have to install one to gain a renewed firearms cert. What makes my house more interesting to a burglar than Johnny down the roads house who got his 270 5 years ago and no mention of an alarm???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Jonty wrote: »

But the one thing that bugs me is the fact that people that got centrefires prior to this "no alarm - no rifle" policy, do not have to install one to gain a renewed firearms cert. What makes my house more interesting to a burglar than Johnny down the roads house who got his 270 5 years ago and no mention of an alarm???

It's the old "saver clause" so well known in Social Welfare. If you came in under the old rules, the old rules still apply. Until somebody grows a pair and says the new rules apply for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You can fit a DIY alarm for about €150-€200. Real easy and it could get you out of a spot.
    Yale do one and I have fitted it to my house. Check in local hardware store or B&Q or Yale online cheapest is £99 + post, includes front and back door sensors, and 2 motion detectors. All wire free and radio linked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As others have already said, the CPO in Laois is a sound man and won't be looking for ludicrous facilities for modest numbers of firearms.
    It might be no harm to give the station in Portlaoise a shout and ask for him to call you back; tell him what you're applying for and that you're currently building, and he'll give you his thoughts and recommendations at this early stage that you can bear in mind as the building work progresses.
    Even if you're not immediately planning to install an alarm system, it's an awful lot easier to string wires around the place during the build than after it.

Also, consider making a 'strong room' (solid concrete floors, walls, and ceiling) or at least the structure of one without the steel door, somewhere in the building if it's not too late; it's a useful thing in any house even if you never have firearms, and CPOs are deeply impressed by them.
    It doesn't have to be big, a generous walk-in wardrobe or box room would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Rovi wrote: »
    As others have already said, the CPO in Laois is a sound man and won't be looking for ludicrous facilities for modest numbers of firearms.
    It might be no harm to give the station in Portlaoise a shout and ask for him to call you back; tell him what you're applying for and that you're currently building, and he'll give you his thoughts and recommendations at this early stage that you can bear in mind as the building work progresses.
    Even if you're not immediately planning to install an alarm system, it's an awful lot easier to string wires around the place during the build than after it.

Also, consider making a 'strong room' (solid concrete floors, walls, and ceiling) or at least the structure of one without the steel door, somewhere in the building if it's not too late; it's a useful thing in any house even if you never have firearms, and CPOs are deeply impressed by them.
    It doesn't have to be big, a generous walk-in wardrobe or box room would be ideal.

Good idea that Rovi

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I have no problem with the guards insisting on the fitting of a safe and an alarm but I do have a problem with the fact that the FAO did not mention anything about it when I went in to discuss with him about getting a rifle in the first place, he said a rifle license would be no problem at all.

Rovi wrote: »

I can see herself being very happy with this "why do I need a vault door on my walk in wardrobe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I can see herself being very happy with this "why do I need a vault door on my walk in wardrobe"
    Tell her you place great value on her shoe and handbag collection. :D

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    You can fit a DIY alarm for about €150-€200. Real easy and it could get you out of a spot.
    Yale do one and I have fitted it to my house. Check in local hardware store or B&Q or Yale online cheapest is £99 + post, includes front and back door sensors, and 2 motion detectors. All wire free and radio linked.

The Spec that the Laois CPO looked for was "IS EN" Spec for monitored alarms. Had to install Passive infra red sensors in each room/hall, panic button in bedroom, inertia sensors on gunsafe. It wasn't cheap

It'd be like Mission Impossible breaking into my place, and If you got by all that, you'd have to contend with Cyril the dog, and me and my hurley :pac:

Roughly what price are you looking at for the alarm ??

look up eircom phone watch to get an idea of the cost of a monitored system. There price will be at the high end of the spectrum. Give Boxer alarms in Portlaoise a shout for a more realistic quote.

You should really contact the Crime prevention officer in Portlaoise and find out what he wants exactly. He mighn't want a monitored system. My case was different as there are multiple firearms in my house belonging to me, my dad and brother and I was applying for a .308

I'd like to add that it is cheaper to put in an alarm now than after your house is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fenster18

An IS EN alarm is only a standard to which any alarm must be installed nothing to do with what equiptment should be included any PSA registered installer can do it for you, Eircom phonewatch is way too expensive , it is up to your CPO to specify what he requires, then contact one of the many registered companys

dresden8 wrote: »
    It's the old "saver clause" so well known in Social Welfare. If you came in under the old rules, the old rules still apply. Until somebody grows a pair and says the new rules apply for everyone.

thats not very fair now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Whats annoying me:mad:I thought that minimum storage requirments was all sorted throught the FCP, Sparks mentioned it on previousl posts and I posted an excerpt from the briefing sent by Des Crofton to NARGC members.

It's good to here that the CPO is fair

Regarding this section of the post weren't you silly not to refer to the "walk in gun room" in the bedroom during construction and then comment, this is too big for me you can put some of your stuff in here as well, if you like;):D

Regarding this section of the post weren't you silly not to refer to the "walk in gun room" in the bedroom during construction and then comment, this is too big for me you can put some of your stuff in here as well, if you like;):D

If I told her that I'd end up having to build another gun room :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Whats annoying me:mad:I thought that minimum storage requirments was all sorted throught the FCP, Sparks mentioned it on previousl posts and I posted an excerpt from the briefing sent by Des Crofton to NARGC members.
    Not quite - there aren't any minimum storage requirement. What there are, are recommendations from the NCPU which the CPO is most likely to ask for - but the decision is still down to the Super.

Advertisement