Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wipers won't stop when I turn them off:

Options
  • 06-08-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

When I turn my wipers off, they don't stop for at least 5 minutes. Do I need to get the motor replaced? How much will this cost? Any garage or the dealership? It's a 2002 renault clio.
    Thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As they keep on running, I'd say the motor is working fine.

The switch on the other hand might need inspection for bad contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

A friend of mine had the same problem with an Ibiza, turned out to be the switch .

If there anoying you just take out the fuse and that will stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barr wrote: »
    A friend of mine had the same problem with an Ibiza, turned out to be the switch .

If there anoying you just take out the fuse and that will stop them

It'll also stop you using them when it is raining!

Could it also be a dodgy rain sensor? Not sure if Clio's had them that long ago or even do now though.

MYOB wrote: »
    It'll also stop you using them when it is raining!

Could it also be a dodgy rain sensor? Not sure if Clio's had them that long ago or even do now though.

Am ...putting back the fuse is as quick as turning a switch if rain comes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

do they still go even with key removed??

• Advertisement

taking out the fuse will stop them completely , no matter if the key is in or out

My fuse box is accessible under the bonnet and only under the bonnet. My wiper stalk is under my right hand...

MYOB wrote: »
    My fuse box is accessible under the bonnet and only under the bonnet. My wiper stalk is under my right hand...

I would have thought most cars have a fuse box on the inside of the car . The fuse box in the engine bay usually relates to the engine

I would have thought most cars have a fuse box on the inside of the car . The fuse box in the engine bay usually relates to the engine

Last time I checked, I only have the one. Nothings gone electrically wrong on my car (which has to be a first, as its Italian) in the time I've owned it so I've only ever found the one fusebox.

Either way, even if there was an internal fusebox also its generally behind a panel. Pulling over, removing panel, inserting fuse, replacing panel and driving off isn't quite ideal is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine the switch in the wiper stalk is iffey. The little tab that clicks with the steering wheel turning can break over time. The whole stalk can be got cheap enough on ebay. It's a simple swap job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

The wipers stop when I turn the engine off. They stop up to 7 minutes after I have turned them off sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Fuse box in the clio is on the side of the dash, youll have to open the door to get at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I had wipers do something similar and particularly with the intermittant which just became another 'on'. It was traced back to the wiper relay and timing block both of which are in the fuse board in the dash under the steering wheel in my car. The relay was realtively cheap, the timing block wasn't.

Advertisement