Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college fees

• 06-08-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

im a little bit confused over the college fees from reading in the stickies there free but here is were im worried in 2005 i did 1 year of a course in an I.T failed my maths exams attempt repeats but then offically left, i am now returning will i be eligiable for free fees or will i have to cough up the full fees, if so what kind of figure can i expect, also in 2006 my employer put me through a part time course which also didnt work out and i left it also and also my employment, any help on this would really help beacause i really dont think i can afford to pay the fees

Comments

From the sound of things you'll have to pay for the first year in wherever you're looking to study now - if you were previously pursuing a degree/diploma/cert course and are looking to go back at the same level. The only way you'll get the figure for how much it will cost is to contact the college you'll be going into and ask their admissions office - they should have the figures to hand. Arts courses will be lower (maybe €3,000) Science ones will be higher (maybe €5-6,000). They're horribly rough figures, mind.

If you are planning on going back at a different level and dropped out of a lower course but are now pursuing a higher course than the one you dropped out of, then you may well not have to pay anything (bar the reg fee unless you get a grant). The reason you mightn't have to pay in this circumstance is because based on the NFQ diagram, if you previously dropped out of a level 6 or level 7 course, but are now pursuing a level 8 course, you won't have to repeat at the same level (since you'll be going above the previous level).

NFQ.jpg

I love the way boards.ie is the first thing to come up when I type in NFQ on google image search :)

If I haven't been clear, or if there's something else feel free to ask anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i think i might be ok previsously i applied at level 6 the course ive applied for is level 7, how can they find out if i previsously attended a course, if im stuck for fees thats it i may forget about it i cant get a grant and ive been saving for months just to cover my accom car and food

Well it might be worth contacting the Department of Education (without giving your name if you want) just to find out officially. The have a 'Student Support Unit' which normally deals with grants and stuff but they're quite knowledgeable:

The Student Support Unit
    Department of Education and Science
    Portlaoise Road
    Tullamore
    IRELAND
    Tel: +353 (0)57 9321363 or +353 (0)1 8734700
    Email: StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

thanks myth will try them tomorrow

contacted my college admissions today and got no were was told umm maybe not sure dpends how long i was previosly at college,then told me that there will be advice on the day of registration, this is no good to me because im currently working and dont want to hand my noticein only to find out i cant afford the fees, by the time i got home from work was to late to ring dept of education i will try them tomorrow i just dont know were to turn now

• Advertisement

i seem to be getting nowere, myth do you know if i previously did a level 6 and im now doing a level 7 is it a way around tution fees?

In my opinion, yes you would be eligible for fees paid for you. But there must be someone in the Department of Education willing to give you a clear answer.

well they seem so obsessed with grants it took a while to get through exactly what my question was, i rang admissions in carlow and i think i should be ok also lets hope any way, thanks for your help myth will keep you updated thanks

well registered this morning and only had to pay the reg fee €900 they made a few phone calls and apartently this course is different to the previous course i did but its same level,level 6 any way im not complaining:D

Advertisement