Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone as USB/Wireless 3G modem

• 06-08-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Ok lads i've had a USB 3g Heawui modem thing for a while i know u can use a Nokia E51 as a 3G modem via Bluetooth with a program installed on the host laptop Nokia PC suite i think

My question is can u use the modem function on the phone via a USB cable and secondly the USB modem i had previously could be used on any machine desktop/laptop etc. becuase it could install the drivers/software from itself. Is there a way for the Nokia e51 to be able to do the same thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

In the nokia pc suite it'll give you an option to set up connection from the cable instead of usb. You need to have the pc suite installed on any pc you want to do this with. You could save a copy of the pc suite if it's small enough onto the phone as an external hard drive and that way you'll always have what you need on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Should work fine as a modem over USB.
    Or you could download JoikuSpot. it's a free application that you install on your phone - it allows the phone to act as a WiFi hotspot so that you can use your 3G/HSDPA phone signal from any wireless enabled laptop or PC.
    The only thing to watch is that the phone tends to become a bit hot after, say, about 30 minutes.
    It's hard on the battery, but I find it's a nice wire-free solution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My question is can u use the modem function on the phone via a USB cable and secondly the USB modem i had previously could be used on any machine desktop/laptop etc. becuase it could install the drivers/software from itself. Is there a way for the Nokia e51 to be able to do the same thing
    matchthis wrote: »
    In the nokia pc suite it'll give you an option to set up connection from the cable instead of usb. You need to have the pc suite installed on any pc you want to do this with. You could save a copy of the pc suite if it's small enough onto the phone as an external hard drive and that way you'll always have what you need on the phone

PC Suite is not required at all.... Most business class nokia phones have modems built in. Simply pair the phone via bluetooth or usb. It will install the modem automatically (on windows anyways.. i cant talk for those dreaded apple yokes).

Simply dial *99#
    +CGDCONT=,,"xxxxxxx"

as the modem initialization strings, where xxxxxxx is the access point for your mobile network

Username: depends on network
    Password: depends on network

You wont be able to reach the theoretical max speed of your broadband using bluetooth, you must use usb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

jmccrohan wrote: »
    PC Suite is not required at all.... Most business class nokia phones have modems built in. Simply pair the phone via bluetooth or usb. It will install the modem automatically (on windows anyways.. i cant talk for those dreaded apple yokes).

Simply dial *99#
    +CGDCONT=,,"xxxxxxx"

as the modem initialization strings, where xxxxxxx is the access point for your mobile network

Username: depends on network
    Password: depends on network

You wont be able to reach the theoretical max speed of your broadband using bluetooth, you must use usb.

Could not be simpler on a Mac; takes me exactly 29 seconds to create a new Bluetooth profile to any modern phone from any of my Macs. In addition, in the case of say a 6120 0r 6220 Classic you will get phenomenal speeds owing to the Bluetooth 2.1 profile (on O2 IRL for example).

long_b wrote: »
    Should work fine as a modem over USB.
    Or you could download JoikuSpot. it's a free application that you install on your phone - it allows the phone to act as a WiFi hotspot so that you can use your 3G/HSDPA phone signal from any wireless enabled laptop or PC.
    The only thing to watch is that the phone tends to become a bit hot after, say, about 30 minutes.
    It's hard on the battery, but I find it's a nice wire-free solution.

Does an e51 have wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

culabula wrote: »
    Does an e51 have wifi?
    It does indeed.

It does indeed.

Oh, spiffing. That's good to know. I lost my E61 and my N95 exploded (thanks to WalkingHotSpot).

culabula wrote: »
    my N95 exploded (thanks to WalkingHotSpot).
    I'm intrigued...

I'm intrigued...

is not the word I used.......:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

could anybody explain or help how id go about setting up an htc touch diamond to use as a modem connected via usb? and use the internet addon (which works when using a 3 huawei modem) instead of every kb or something (making sure that's not used,but rather the bundle?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement