Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to router

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

So i am just getting around to setting up my PC
    http://www.medion.de/ms/aldi/md8393/ie/flash.html

And i can't connect to the internet.

My PC is located upstairs in my house and usually connects wirelessly to the internet
    The new PC sees the wireless router and keeps failing to connect

Anyone got any ideas?

I've had two different wireless connections before and both were easily able to connect, is there any chance the wireless in the aldi PC is too far away to pick up the signal properly?

THANKS ALMIGHTYCUSHION FOR MAKING ME A NEW THREAD ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

some quick help would be greatly appreciated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is there a password on the router. If so have you entered that

Is there a password on the router. If so have you entered that

nope, router is totally unsecured :o

i think it might be the signal isn't strong enough(the wireless in this aldi PC doesn't reach as far as others i've used)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Conar

Best to move the router up beside the PC and see if it can connect.
    If it can then you know its just out of that cards range where it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I get a similar problem with my pc yet my phone connects so it isn't signal strength

• Advertisement

OK the last wireless card i had was a "Vivanco 802.11b/g 2,4GHz 54Mbps WLAN PCI Card" and it worked great from anywhere in the house

the one in the new aldi machine is
    Integrated WLAN IEEE 802.11n Draft

with up to 300MBit/s, IEEE 802.11b/g compatible

and from my room it won't connect to the internet but can find and connect to the wireless router downstairs, in my room it was giving me 1/5 or 2/5 signal strength

i just moved the PC to the kitchen which is about 5m from the router(through walls) and the signal strength is going from 2/5 to 3/5 and it will connect to the internet

i presume if i open the PC and put in a diff wireless card it will void the warrenty, could the wireless card in the aldi PC really be this crap?

the wireless router is a "US Robotics xx5462" if that matters

Perhaps the card isn't able to autonegotiate the speed correctly with the router.
    Try setting the card to 11g mode and do the same on the router.

Conar wrote: »
    Perhaps the card isn't able to autonegotiate the speed correctly with the router.

Thanks i'll have to try that, will be 2moro before i get a chance though :o

OK for some reason its working now, the wireless is getting 3/5 to 4/5 signal strenght and its letting me connect to the net, hopefully it stays like this and yesterday was just a freak

• Advertisement

Sounds like the aliens might have been scanning your house last night.
    I'd quickly make a hat out of tinfoil to stop them from reading your thoughts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Cordless phones and other "wireless" kit can cause interferance as they use the same frequencies in some cases.

You could also try and move the wireless channel you are on, just in case you are getting swamped out by another wireless source.

Conar wrote: »

Couldnt figure out how to do the bold part, went into devices and properties of the wireless but it said nothing about 11g?

macrubicon wrote: »
    Cordless phones and other "wireless" kit can cause interferance as they use the same frequencies in some cases.

You could also try and move the wireless channel you are on, just in case you are getting swamped out by another wireless source.

the only wireless stuff we have in the house are laptops that are rarely on and the wireless router

Couldnt figure out how to do the bold part, went into devices and properties of the wireless but it said nothing about 11g?

Generally wireless cards have their own software which allows you to change it.
    I'm not beside a machine with wireless at the moment so I'm not sure if this works only for ethernet NICs but try going to Network Connections, then right clicking the wireless card, go to properties, click Configure, Advanced, and then is there a speed setting which you can change?

OK it worked for one day and now its back not connecting prooperly, i took screenshots of the wireless card in the PC and the wireless router downstairs

ps i have my old PC sitting right next to the new one here in my room and the old one is connecting perfectly(i'm using it now)

more..

Any chance i could get this moved back to "Computers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

So i am just getting around to setting up my PC
    http://www.medion.de/ms/aldi/md8393/ie/flash.html

And i can't connect to the internet.

My PC is located upstairs in my house and usually connects wirelessly to the internet
    The new PC sees the wireless router and keeps failing to connect

Anyone got any ideas?

I've had two different wireless connections before and both were easily able to connect, is there any chance the wireless in the aldi PC is too far away to pick up the signal properly?

what make model wireless router? did you looksee if there are any settings on the router that would boost the signal strength? the firmware on my router allows setting of brodacst range and TX rate, see if you can see anything referring to those settings on you router. Maplin have signal deflectors for about twenty euro which would most likely be the cheapest quickest fix imo;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You have no problem connecting to the router.
    In the internet connection settings, can you change the DNS address?
    Try putting this in. 217.159.0.17 instead of 192.168.1.1

If it doesn't work just change it back.

• Advertisement

CSU wrote: »
    what make model wireless router? did you looksee if there are any settings on the router that would boost the signal strength? the firmware on my router allows setting of brodacst range and TX rate, see if you can see anything referring to those settings on you router. Maplin have signal deflectors for about twenty euro which would most likely be the cheapest quickest fix imo;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=61125&d=1218377881

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You have no problem connecting to the router.
    In the internet connection settings, can you change the DNS address?
    Try putting this in. 217.159.0.17 instead of 192.168.1.1

If it doesn't work just change it back.

????

Internet Explorer > Tools > Options > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings

???

Or is it the internet connection settings of the router or wireless card?

Remember this has connected before with the same settings it is using now :o

????

Or is it the internet connection settings of the router or wireless card?

Remember this has connected before with the same settings it is using now :o

Sorry. I wasn't very clear. In the router settings.

I don't understand why it was working before..

In my router I put in the dns address as given by my isp.

Its a long shot but may be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do a scan and see if there are other networks around, are there houses nearby? Sounds most likely like a conflict between the routers standard and the wireless cards standard, look again for a way to limit the card to 11b/g but saying that it all depends on the driver and if they wrote that ability into it! Failing that swop the wifi cards on the old pc with the new and hey presto should be fixed!

MC

Do a scan and see if there are other networks around, are there houses nearby? Sounds most likely like a conflict between the routers standard and the wireless cards standard, look again for a way to limit the card to 11b/g but saying that it all depends on the driver and if they wrote that ability into it! Failing that swop the wifi cards on the old pc with the new and hey presto should be fixed!

MC

I think the wireless card is set to 11g/11b, i could swap the cards but i'm afraid that will void the warranty(anyone know if this is true)?

Someone on another forum said the router is giving me an IP address of 169.xxx.x.x when it should be giving me a 192.168.1.x

He said to give myself a static IP because the dhcp is giving me the wrong IP

???

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

a 169.x.x.x address is an automatic assignement which basically means that the machine cannot contact a DHCP Server - not surprising if the wireless is up and down...

Might be no harm downloading Netstumbler or similar to scan for other wireless signals on you channel

macrubicon wrote: »
    a 169.x.x.x address is an automatic assignement which basically means that the machine cannot contact a DHCP Server - not surprising if the wireless is up and down...

Might be no harm downloading Netstumbler or similar to scan for other wireless signals on you channel

What about inputting all the info IP DNS etc instead of letting DHCP do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Someone on another forum said the router is giving me an IP address of 169.xxx.x.x when it should be giving me a 192.168.1.x

He said to give myself a static IP because the dhcp is giving me the wrong IP

???

There is nothing wrong with the DHCP.

Your PC is getting an auto asigned IP address by Windows as it can't reach it's DHCP server.

Putting in static details will not change this.

It seems by the screen grabs that you can access the router ok. You can check this by entering the address of the router into your browser and if you can connect to the router then DHCP is NOT the problem. Capture 1 shows that you CAN connect to the router but NOT to the internet. If this is the case you can rule out interference from other networks.

Your PC will connect to the router with a fixed address even if the router is dynamicly (sp?) assigning addresses PROVIDING its in the same range.

Are you using a USB adapter?

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It seems by the screen grabs that you can access the router ok. You can check this by entering the address of the router into your browser and if you can connect to the router then DHCP is NOT the problem. Capture 1 shows that you CAN connect to the router but NOT to the internet. If this is the case you can rule out interference from other networks.

Your PC will connect to the router with a fixed address even if the router is dynamicly (sp?) assigning addresses PROVIDING its in the same range.

Are you using a USB adapter?

No, built in wireless card

Last time i checked i could not connect to the router via the web browser

All other PCs or laptops that are connecting are being given a 192. IP address, my PC is being given a 169. IP address

Advertisement