Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to router

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Conar

Don't worry about the DHCP/STatic debate, this is only relevant if you can actually get a wireless connection.
    Again I am not at hom but on my laptop I was able to go to the advanced properties and select the speed there.
    I would seriously suggest setting the card to 11b or 11g and setting the router to the same and seeing if it can get a stable connection.
    Also have you tried another channel as mentioned by others?

What about the wireless card in your other PC, can you install that in the PC and just use it instead of the inbuilt one?
    Don't worry about the warranty. Unless there is a void if removed sticker blocking you from opening the chassis then they'll never know you were installing 3rd party cards.
    Thats if they'd even give a damn which most manufacturers don't.

Last but not least, as the PC a Medion PC why not just ring their tech support.
    I had to contact them twice before over firmware related issues on a medion wireless router and they were pretty helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Conar wrote: »
    Don't worry about the DHCP/STatic debate, this is only relevant if you can actually get a wireless connection.

If you bother looking at the screen captures, he HAS a connection....

No, built in wireless card

Ok. Just wondering why it shows up as a USB adaptor in your device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

OK i think the best thing to do is ask you guys what screenshots you want to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

The first question to be answered for me is how the wireless acts ?

Does it just connect up once or do you see the "connected to...." pop up time and time again ?

• Advertisement

OK i think the best thing to do is ask you guys what screenshots you want to see?

In your connection status window (capture2), click on "details" and post up a grab of that.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    If you bother looking at the screen captures, he HAS a connection....

Fuzzy I think he has said that he's getting these screen captures from his old desktop which is able to connect.

Fighting Irish, can you please confirm this again so we can move by this confusion.

Conar wrote: »
    Fuzzy I think he has said that he's getting these screen captures from his old desktop which is able to connect.

Fighting Irish, can you please confirm this again so we can move by this confusion.

All screenshots are from the new PC that can't connect to internet

The router details were screenshoted from my old PC because i can't log into the router via internet explorer with the new PC

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    In your connection status window (capture2), click on "details" and post up a grab of that.

noted, will be swapping PCs now soon, only have one monitor etc so can only have one PC going at the one time :o

macrubicon wrote: »
    The first question to be answered for me is how the wireless acts ?

Does it just connect up once or do you see the "connected to...." pop up time and time again ?

It always finds the router and connects but it always says "limited connection"

It doesn't keep losing connection and reconnecting

• Advertisement

Sorry, I think I've been adding confusion to this more than anything.

Have you tried updating the drivers for the wireless controller?
    If you go to the Medion site and enter the serial number of the PC it should show you the available drivers:
    http://www.medion.co.uk/

Also its very unlikely but there is a slightly newer version of firmware for the router that may improve things:
    http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5462
    I don't see any release notes stating what changes were made but maybe it will help.

Are there any other wireless networks in your range?
    Perhaps a neighbor has wifi. If so you can try connecting to theirs.
    If they're on Eircom then its possible to look up their default WEP password and try logging on.

It always finds the router and connects but it always says "limited connection"

Thats good, sort of.

In the router settings, find out what range is set aside for DHCP ip addys. 192.168.x.x to 192.168.x.x While your at it, check if there is a setting that allows both dynamic and static addresses.
    Input a number in this range into the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) of the wireless card. Don't use a number thats in use by another pc.

If you can't access the router settings after that then I'm beat.:confused:

Also according to the router screenshot you currently have (or had) 5 DHCP clients attached.
    Are any of those MAC addresses the one from the wireless card in question?

Following from what Fuzzy said, try set the IP manually using the following:

IP 192.168.2.200
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.2.1

Advertisement