Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

walshb wrote: »
    On a complete separate note, did anyone happen to catch Usain Bolt in the 200m yesterday?
    My god, what a performance and his 100 m last week. He is without doubt the Olympic TOP DOG!

Michael Phelps????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Give him a break there's 30 feckin pages
    12 pages for me.
    And it's been answered on at least 3 of them....

So it's just plain lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

03mcgs0 wrote: »
    Michael Phelps????

Phelps a close second. Another fantastic athlete, but Bolt's fashion of victory was the
    difference for me. Unreal!

The question on the bronze has been answered a little too much IMO, but we'll let it
    go.

The other thing is the schedule which I linked on the first page of the thread, use it please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Poacher

Dodge wrote: »
    A breakdown of the medals

8 medals
    Cuba

4 medals
    China

3 medals
    Ireland
    Italy
    GB
    Russia
    France

2 medals
    Kazakhstan
    Thailand
    Mongolia
    Ukraine

1 medal
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Dominican Republic
    India
    Korea
    Mauritius
    Moldova
    Turkey
    USA

And a breakdown by continent

Europe - 21
    Asia - 12
    Americas - 10
    Africa - 1

None from Oceanasia

Thats brilliant. Only two countries have qualified more boxers for the semis than Ireland - plus only Cuba from the whole world has qualified more boxers than these two islands combined.

Some achievement by the lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Thats brilliant. Only two countries have qualified more boxers for the semis than Ireland - plus only Cuba from the whole world has qualified more boxers than these two islands combined.

Some achievement by the lads!

for what is supposed to be a pretty poor "experimental" Cuban team they still are the nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yep, and from having watched a good deal of them, most won't be getting bronze...

Also, I really really hope Darren doesn't get Gold:pac:

I see you're back so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So....I really really hope Darren beats DeGayle.

Also, I really really hope Darren doesn't get Gold:pac: The chap is all gob at the best of times. Imagine him with Gold:eek::eek::eek:

J/K

don't you just hate people like that...

And if he wins Gold he'll finally be able to justifiably gloat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 numerocinco

I would love to see Darren win gold, and I think he will come through tomorrow, I even think Paddy Barnes might do it comfortably but I'm nervous about Egans fight, I think some people have put Jeffries down a bit too much.I think he can be boring but effective , a bit old school with a strong straight punches. Cant wait though, its going to brillant.

So....I really really hope Darren beats DeGayle.

Also, I really really hope Darren doesn't get Gold:pac: The chap is all gob at the best of times. Imagine him with Gold:eek::eek::eek:

J/K

You're now sounding like that muddled drunk Dunphy on RTE when he used to be cheering against the Irish team:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Smash him, Dazzler! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Round 1 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

1-1 rd 1

so cagey

1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Up at 3am in Canada for this - pretty cagey so far.

DeGale spoiling alot, has been cautioned Sutherland getting frustrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

english done their hw too. darren's game hard when your behind. darren robbed of at least one clear (30 secs behind on i-net)

round 3---- 2-8

excellant round by DeGale there, atleast Darren got a point at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Oh dear. We need a Dazzlin' knockout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

DeGale picked him off a few times there in round 2 & 3, and was happy to let Darren chase him around the ring. He might be a bit disappointed with the fight. 10-3 in the end.

Still, a bronze medal won. Well done.

Well beaten but I enjoyed the journey, thank you Darren:)

Well done team GB done their homework, hopefully Kenny can even it up!

10-3
    TO DEGALE
    Great Medal for darren but I am sooo disappointed , Degale deserved the win much cleaner throughout, Feel Darren left that one behind him . The plan just was not working from the start ,maybe should have been changed a bit quickier. Also without sounding biased and bitter but one for two of Darren's shots where not scored early in the fight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    10-3
    TO DEGALE
    Great Medal for darren but I am sooo disappointed , Degale deserved the win much cleaner throughout, Feel Darren left that one behind him . The plan just was not working from the start ,maybe should have been changed a bit quickier. Also without sounding biased and bitter but one for two of Darren's shots where not scored early in the fight .

Yeh shots didn't score but one of them wasn't that clear, regardless he was well beaten. Disappointed for Darren but well beaten on the day.

DeGale spoiled early on and obviously frustrated Darren. He wasn't two points better off at half way and when Darren chased the fight he was picked off way too easily. Disappointing performance

Dodge wrote: »
    DeGale spoiled early on and obviously frustrated Darren. He wasn't two points better off at half way and when Darren chased the fight he was picked off way too easily. Disappointing performance

He fought the smart fight! It's very difficult to pull back that lead he picked Darren of with ease.

the shots have to clear to be counted, can't say I've an issue with the scoring. V difficult to score shots on the inside. Hard luck Darren, come on Paddy and Kenny. Agree with above Ireland should have looked at their tactics after the first few rounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

wow degale really outclassed him there.

sutherland looked so one dimensional. same thing over and over, thats not going to work against degale any more.

degale found that very easy indeed.

i also think darren should have actually cared more. i know its important to be positive but hes basically said hes happy with his performance. why be happy with being outclassed and outboxed easily?

however, darren was VERY gracious in defeat which was nice and he has a bronze which nobody can take away from him!

I think Darren is putting on a brave face and is really gutted. He didn't sparkle and lacked the zip from the Blanco bout. That bout was Darren's final and Darren's peak.
    DeGale is classy, but nothing amazing. He was just too slick and fleet footed.
    He was too wild I thought and predictable. Well done on the bronze

Darren beat this guy the first 4 times; but I suspect it was DeGale's youth up
    against Darren's maturity that was the major difference. DeGale has now matured and is that bit
    older. This tells!

I can't see Darren beating DeGale agin to be honest. I know he is turning pro
    and wish him good luck in the pro game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

walshb wrote: »
    I think Darren is putting on a brave face and is really gutted. He didn't sparkle and lacked the zip from the Blanco bout. That bout was Darren's final and Darren's peak.
    DeGale is classy, but nothing amazing. He was just too slick and fleet footed.
    He was too wild I thought and predictable. Well done on the bronze

Darren beat this guy the first 4 times; but I suspect it was DeGale's youth up
    against Darren's maturity that was the major difference. DeGale has now matured and is that bit
    older. This tells!

I can't see Darren beating DeGale agin to be honest. I know he is turning pro
    and wish him good luck in the pro game

Agreed.

She should avoid Degale at all costs in the pros.

He'll get KO'd if they were to fight over 12 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Fought a very one dimensional fight and looked very tense. Constantly moved forward in straight lines just throwing the right hand lead. Far too one dimensional.

Disappointed in his attitude after the fight as well. I hope its putting on a brave face but it really seemed like he was just happy with the bronze and anything else was a bonus. He was well capable of beating degal today and he should be gutted that he is not going home with a silver or even a gold.

I have said previously in this thread that none of our fighters should be content with Bronze and they should all be aiming for the gold medal so hopefully we see a more hungry, composed and relaxed display from Barnes and Egan later (even though Barnes will be really up against it).

Still a nice achievement but its just tainted for me by feelings of "if he really wanted it more could he have taken it?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Babybing wrote: »
    Fought a very one dimensional fight and looked very tense. Constantly moved forward in straight lines just throwing the right hand lead. Far too one dimensional.

Disappointed in his attitude after the fight as well. I hope its putting on a brave face but it really seemed like he was just happy with the bronze and anything else was a bonus. He was well capable of beating degal today and he should be gutted that he is not going home with a silver or even a gold.

I have said previously in this thread that none of our fighters should be content with Bronze and they should all be aiming for the gold medal so hopefully we see a more hungry, composed and relaxed display from Barnes and Egan later (even though Barnes will be really up against it).

Still a nice achievement but its just tainted for me by feelings of "if he really wanted it more could he have taken it?".

yea unfortunately agree, seemed too happy after quarters - he'd achieved what he wanted - to get a medal - so didnt really get up for the fight. his eyes were prob on pro and ya could see he'd already left the olympics behind when shakin hands with the british team.

but still, lets no knock him today - he's got an olympic bronze incredible achievement so fair play to ya darren good luck to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

I FEEL LIKE GETTING SICK.:(

• Advertisement

akindoc wrote: »
    Agreed.

You cannot be serious. The pro game is completely different, Degale fought well but he was on the back foot picking Darren of with jabs. That **** dont fly in the pro ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

jaysus lads give him a break,so what that he didnt win,he got himself a bronze medal and im sure every hurler on the ditch here would be delighted with one aswell.Fair play to him and best of luck to the rest

T-K-O wrote: »
    You cannot be serious. The pro game is completely different, Degale fought well but he was on the back foot picking Darren of with jabs. That **** dont fly in the pro ranks.

they don't stand toe to toe in the pros (Gatti and Ward excepted). He really needs to improve his movement and pick up a few more tricks, you won't always get a chance to flatten the guy. I'm sure we'll see him on RTE with Brian Peters, can't see the bigger UK or US promoters being too interested.

But well done on the medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

I saw sutherland fight degale last summer in the stadium.
    Sutherland won a close decision and I was delighted along with everyone else but I actually would have given the fight to degale.

I felt then that he had sutherland's number and I wasn't confident of an Irish win this morning at all. Sometimes that just happens; a boxer gets another guy's number and that's it. I think blanco would beat degale for example but sutherland beat him easily .....

As someone else said I couldn't see sutherland ever beating degale again in the amateurs, but a ten round pro fight would be a different matter altogether ......

efb wrote: »
    they don't stand toe to toe in the pros (Gatti and Ward excepted). He really needs to improve his movement and pick up a few more tricks, you won't always get a chance to flatten the guy. I'm sure we'll see him on RTE with Brian Peters, can't see the bigger UK or US promoters being too interested.

But well done on the medal.
    That's true but guys like

Cotto
    Marquez
    Ponce
    Vazquez

fight in a more aggressive style.

So throwing the jab/on the bike style doesn't work or win fights. Even when it does work you may not get the decision. I watched Cory Spinks fight last year and he totally out boxed the other guy but lost the decision.

Darren is suited to the pro game.

• Advertisement

I think Cotto and the guys are a little more then aggressive fighters, they have that and more besides, I think Lee is a good example when he wore the vest he boxed a style very suited to the amateurs, not suitable for the pros, when he turned pro he turned the power on,

We can't say how the guys who box as amateurs in the amateurs will be as pro, they may be clever enough to know how and when to change their style.

raven136 wrote: »
    jaysus lads give him a break,so what that he didnt win,he got himself a bronze medal and im sure every hurler on the ditch here would be delighted with one aswell.Fair play to him and best of luck to the rest

Yes the bronze is a great result , And I am delight for him.
    It's just that I feel as the boxing saying goes " He left that one behind him " compare to " He left nothing behind him.". I feel Darren just never got up for the fight, It became clear very early in the fight that the game plan was not and would not work, at that stage a full committed Darren would have changed and busted a gut trying to get back into the fight , I just never seen it happen or be tried even .
    How maybe like other posters have stated and I'm wrong and that Degale just had his number , and he would have handled anything Darren came up with and Darren would and could have done nothing about it .Maybe.
    But when I seen the two interviews after the fight, Darren's attitude ,outlook and the reaction to the result. I just got the feeling that MAYBE JUST MAYBE he had settled for the Bronze (in his own mind ) before the fight.
    Now if you compare that to Walsh interview there was a man that was upset and felt that it was left behind , His comments about not being able to get the " spark " going where very telling IMO.

Again I am not knocking Darren or his Result ,Fantastic , great achievement and he will deserve any praise and honour heaped upon him .
    I cannot help but feel that when the dust settles , maybe Darren may look back at this morning with a small bit of regret.

efb wrote: »
    I think Cotto and the guys are a little more then aggressive fighters, they have that and more besides, I think Lee is a good example when he wore the vest he boxed a style very suited to the amateurs, not suitable for the pros, when he turned pro he turned the power on,

We can't say how the guys who box as amateurs in the amateurs will be as pro, they may be clever enough to know how and when to change their style.

Thats all well and good for but I don't think Darren is capable of that.

Edit: to the say extent as lee..

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Yes the bronze is a great result , And I am delight for him.
    It's just that I feel as the boxing saying goes " He left that one behind him " compare to " He left nothing behind him.". I feel Darren just never got up for the fight, It became clear very early in the fight that the game plan was not and would not work, at that stage a full committed Darren would have changed and busted a gut trying to get back into the fight , I just never seen it happen or be tried even .
    How maybe like other posters have stated and I'm wrong and that Degale just had his number , and he would have handled anything Darren came up with and Darren would and could have done nothing about it .Maybe.
    But when I seen the two interviews after the fight, Darren's attitude ,outlook and the reaction to the result. I just got the feeling that MAYBE JUST MAYBE he had settled for the Bronze (in his own mind ) before the fight.
    Now if you compare that to Walsh interview there was a man that was upset and felt that it was left behind , His comments about on being able to get the " spark " going where very telling IMO.

Again I am not knocking Darren or his Result ,Fantastic , great achievement and he will deserve any praise and honour heaped upon him .
    I cannot help but feel that when the dust settles , maybe Darren may look back at this morning with a small bit of regret.

Very fair post!

I feel similar; but I think Darren is playing it down and wants to sound optimistic and not sore. He is sore and I believe will be for some time. He did indeed lack the spark and sharpness to win and was just not up to it. Still, he did the country proud and IMO, he beat the best MW in the tournament in Blanco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

akindoc wrote: »
    Agreed.

eh... did no one else see Degale get awarded 3/4 points for slaps?.. not punches?.. fight was a bit of a joke

twinytwo wrote: »
    eh... did no one else see Degale get awarded 3/4 points for slaps?.. not punches?.. fight was a bit of a joke

I did see DeGale getting awarded some dubious points, but either way, it didn't matter; as Darren still didn't do enough to earn the win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

twinytwo wrote: »

check the sour grapes in at reception - beaten fair and square - now, come on Kenny - got money on with guys in the office on this one!!

Got odds of 5.9 for Paddy to win this fight, sure why not, it seems to be the olympics of the underdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Anyway of watching these two fights online (outside of Ireland)?

the lads posted a link for people in the EBU up earlier in the post

• Advertisement
Advertisement