Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

2-0 rd1 against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Barnes 2 nil down after round 1. Thought he was very very unlucky not to get at least 1 point, especially at the end

He's hit him at least 3 times and not scored, WTF!!!

Ah here, where did that 5th point come from...

8-0 rd2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Classy stuff by the Chinese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Chinese kid is a different class indeed, still think Barnes has landed at least 3 scoring shots here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

would have pushed for Barnes at end of 1st, wouldn't have given him Jimmys point in the second, Chinaman picking his punches perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the chinese is fantastic but whats with the scoring,he still wouldnt beat him but it would be nice if clean punches were counted:mad:

• Advertisement

The Chinese guy is winning, but Paddy has scored at least 4 times and it's not registered. Leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth

I'm sure Bernard Dunne will let us know what he thinks about the scores not counting, then Dowling will say Barnes didnt deserve them and finally Carruth will say that he was robbed of a few scores in his Semi in Barcelona, but he pulled through to win gold. Just in case someone has forgotten he won gold that time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

It's as you were before the fight. Paddy was always going to need to knock the Chinaman out to win. Let's have a K.O. in R4!

11 -0 rd3

THE " 0 " is questionable .

lads I really can't see where your getting all these barnes' scores 1st round punch excepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

What the heck like, its all coming apart

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    lads I really can't see where your getting all these barnes' scores 1st round punch excepted

I would give him any scores in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th but definitely at least 2 in the first, in my opinion.

What the heck like, its all coming apart

What is? Did anyone think this fight was going to be different?

Finished 15-0

About 15 points in the difference arlight

Well done Paddy, outclassed on the day but you can hold your head high! Congrats on the bronze medal, you've done us proud.

15-0
    result not in question , Just the no score for barnes,
    Shiming is top top class

Well done PADDY , great tournament, fantastic result,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

"serious, nothin?" his comment at end, he well knew he'd scored a few. tops to zou tho.

watch hernandez now, watchye reckon

lads Zou didn't score with his guiding opening jabs that landed and didn't score (rightly). Little clean scoring punches landed with force by Paddy, most of his shots landed were glancing blows

Anyway well done Paddy ,all the best for 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

raven136 wrote: »
    the chinese is fantastic but whats with the scoring,he still wouldnt beat him but it would be nice if clean punches were counted:mad:

my thoughts exactly.

Stunning performance for the Chinese lad, really amazing. But no way Barnes should've ended with 0 points. I conservatively counted 3 for him.

Still though, this can't overshadow a great bronze medal for Barnes. Congratulations Paddy! You've done Ireland proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

for the first time iv seen a two punch combo score two points, his straight right left uppercut in the 3rd got 2 points, usually its been one point for combos up to this point by the judgen in the olympics this year, questionable system but f*ck it, we knew when they touched gloves shiming would score a point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Scoring was more the generous but Paddy was totally outclassed. The chinese dude looked class in there.

Congrats Paddy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Paddy Barnes is an absolute legend!

I dont care if he lost the desire and hunger he had was that of a winner.

"Bronze is for losers"...fair play to him he wanted the gold. I hope he gets the head down and stays amateur because he will win gold at 2012!

Paddy just being interview now

"I'm being drug tested, the judges should be drug tested"

"You can keep the bronze medal, don't want it."

"Bronze is for losers"

The young lad is gutted

like Paddy's reaction, not happy with bronze Get gold in 2012!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I counted 3 points as well.

• Advertisement

shoulda seen the french lad earlier, lost 12-10, tough as well. ballin his eyes screamin at the judges, vastine i think his name was - instead of havin 5 judges have 6 - but have 3 for each boxer - 2 out of 3 scores.

if a boxer feels hard done by, whether true or not you have to deal with the perception - boxers are feelin that way so system has to be looked at.

fook, hernandez lost on countback, ah well...!

I prefer the judging here that in Chicago where every pitted patter shot counted. Sure it may have been (slightly) generous to the Chinaman but a 15 point difference looked about right to me.

French guy lost because of two warnings (4 points) from the ref. The judges had fcuk
    all to do with it.

French guy lost because of two warnings (4 points) from the ref. The judges had fcuk
    all to do with it.

ah right just caught the last round, cheers.

either way, there are a lot of questions over the judgin (as seen through all posts interviews etc etc) ... even french guy might've thought he won by 6! he did look bitter tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Babybing wrote: »
    Paddy Barnes is an absolute legend!

I dont care if he lost the desire and hunger he had was that of a winner.

"Bronze is for losers"...fair play to him he wanted the gold. I hope he gets the head down and stays amateur because he will win gold at 2012!
    Hey, I'm all for the winners attitude etc, but Barnes was a little OTT IMO. Ok, he lost and he was totally outclassed, but the attitude and fame I think went to his head. What if he had have met Zou in RD 1. He wouldn't have even got a medal. He won a couple of bouts and suddenly it's GOLD or nothing?:rolleyes:

He still could have got across his disappointment and said 'I'm upset, as I wanted GOLD'; but to be basically slating the whole Olympics and saying they can keep their medal', get over yourself Paddy, you were thoroughly outclassed and you are lucky to be a bronze medal winner. He was a sore loser and nobody likes a sore loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

walshb wrote: »
    Hey, I'm all for the winners attitude etc, but Barnes was a little OTT IMO. Ok, he lost and he was totally outclassed, but the attitude and fame I think went to his head. What if he had have met Zou in RD 1. He wouldn't have even got a medal. He won a couple of bouts and suddenly it's GOLD or nothing?:rolleyes:

He still could have got across his disappointment and said 'I'm upset, as I wanted GOLD'; but to be basically slating the whole Olympics and saying they can keep their medal', get over yourself Paddy, you were thoroughly outclassed and you are lucky to be a bronze medal winner. He was a sore loser and nobody likes a sore loser.

No but everyone respects a winner which he will be some day because of his attitude. I respect Paddy for what he said a lot more than Sutherland this morning basically settling for the Bronze and being all proud of himself!

You have to absolutely detest losing to excel at the highest level....you have to see it as the worst thing in the world, the only difference is Paddy is young and maybe does not have the restraint that comes with experience and he found it hard to hide his true emotion.

So refreshing to hear such an attitude from an Irish athlete though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

"We're in China so what do you expect" - Paddy Barnes

:D

makl wrote: »
    ah right just caught the last round, cheers.

either way, there are a lot of questions over the judgin (as seen through all posts interviews etc etc) ... even french guy might've thought he won by 6! he did look bitter tho

I haven't had a issue with any of the decisions of the fights I've seen , and I can only comment on the fights Ive seen.

There's a way of going about it. That's the issue here. Paddy went about it all wrong and I don't accept that. He showed a real sore loser attitude.

Listen to the likes of Idowu yesterday in the triple jump final. He was world number 1 and only got the silver, yet he wasn't bitter. Yes, he was really disappointed, but he expressed it in a sportsmanlike manner.

Barnes was a nobody really before the tournament, he won two bouts, avoided the cream in both and lost to a class class act easily. Now he's making out that it was GOLD or nothing and that they can stuff their medal? That's a plain bad loser!!

As to the fight, did Barnes throw one single jab at all. He was always looking for the big shots and never used the basic lead jab at all. I can't understand this, and Dunne touched on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

0 points shows whats wrong with amateur scoring system-that would make you feel he got pummelled out of it, he was beaten fair and square but that has to be disheartening, also his attitude annoyed me tbh, he devalued every one elses bronze with his crap talk.

Sutherland boxed awful technically and tactically today, and barnes was just in a different league to his counterpart!

Well done on the medals lads and hopefully Egan can bump us up the medals now...still proud of the boys..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Spot on Paul on all accounts!

Surely Cowzerp RSC would indicate he got pummled out it? A ref can't let a boxer take unnecessary punishment. To me 15-0 indicates a fight where one boxer picked off his shots and didn't allow the other guy a chance to score.

I haven't had a issue with any of the decisions of the fights I've seen , and I can only comment on the fights Ive seen.

fair enough but it's not about that, its not about what you or me see, or what we count - if someone thinks paddy didnt deserve a point thats fine - but its about the boxers in the ring, and if they feel theres an issue then it should be looked. and there is an issue, that seems to be the general consensus here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Surely Cowzerp RSC would indicate he got pummled out it? A ref can't let a boxer take unnecessary punishment. To me 15-0 indicates a fight where one boxer picked off his shots and didn't allow the other guy a chance to score.

But thats the thing to me it looked like he scored about 4/5 points in the fight..........if paddy was 2-2 (which he should have been) after the 1st round the 2nd round on would have been totatlly different........it seemed to me that zou was gettin points easily from the judges but they didnt want to award paddy any?

I wouldnt read to much into his interview afterwards..........the young guy was only out of the ring and obviously very disappointed......not only to lose but manly not to score a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    0 also his attitude annoyed me tbh, he devalued every one elses bronze with his crap talk.

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Barnes was a nobody really before the tournament, he won two bouts, avoided the cream in both and lost to a class class act easily. Now he's making out that it was GOLD or nothing and that they can stuff their medal? That's a plain bad loser!!

Perhaps Walsh had Barnes psyched up before the fight telling him you can beat this guy, you're this, you're that. Don't coaches do that? Barnes comments were made not too long after the fight so maybe he's still got the blinkers on. I'm sure on mature reflection he'll see the fight, and his own performance differently.

I think they were talking about bringing in a system where the five judges scores all counted independly of one another and the best and worst for each were discounted, leaving a 3-0 or 2-1 decision at the end, this may be fairer as what scores remains the same, but the need for 3 judges to to press within 1 second of each other would be gone. It would however allow blatent cheating to come back in as once you have allowed the judges to give whatever decision they wanted irrespective of what happened in the fight. I know there would be monitoring of the judges and when they register their scores but it's that kind of Judging that allows decisions to become more questioable. Right now I think it's not the decisions that are in question but rather points awarded to a boxer. I think the scoring was fine in Barnes' fight, I'd have given him one point close to the end of round one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats a little ott from you tbf. Its just after the bout, he went into that ring believing he could win the bout, he admitted that he was beaten by a better boxer. He was disgusted with the judging and the fact that he did not get a score. It was not all about losing although that would not have helped. His annoyance and comments were more aimed at the judging than at the loss.
    He might have came across as a sore loser to some people but that is not what it was about imo after listening to his interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Correct me if i am wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Barnes who I saw being interviewed after his QF win saying that he is delighted to be just taking part in the Olympics and to have gotten to this stage....and that bronze was a v good achievement!??? (para-phrasing there).

Slight change of tune if it he did say that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's ironic that he discounts a Bronze medal yet feels that he should've scored at least one point, a point that would've been a token point when you're beaten by such a large margin.

Anyway hard luck to the lad, nobody likes loosing in a semi final. Hopefully Egan can come good later on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement