Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

sston wrote: »
    Also think I just heard him say "the lad from Kazerbaijan"! Obviously there has been some political turmoil between Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan this morning and a new independent state has emerged.

Himself and Dunne also kept referring to a boxer from Namibia as the "nambian" during the week, classic stuff. Must be where the namby pampy boxing comes from.

At least they're bringing some humour (if not always intended) to proceedings.

Dowling on the other hands is just an arse. If he tells me once more about a boxer he's "had the pleasure of watching from ringside" I'll put my foot through the telly.

Lee's analysis has been excellent (along with his geography!)

Yeah taught i heard that aswell............very funny......have to say though they are very good/funny pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

anyone know why Glaskov gave a walkover to Zhilei in the supers? I had money on Glaskov to win the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sston

Shynaliyev got fooookin beat by Xiaoping!!!!

In my opinion thats a much easier fight for Egan

I wouldn't be soo sure, judges seem very reluctant to score against the chinese and this will probably be even more so the case on Sunday with it being a final.

He's taller than Egan and is long, gangly and awkward. Egan will have to come to him and that won't suit Kenny's style. I'd had preferred the shorter Kazakh (or Kazarbajani!), a better fighter no doubt but Egan would have been more comfortable with his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

TV says 8.51am Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BTW I thought the chinse lad won that semi, so it wasn't just a homer...

Another word how good the Irish performances have been. One guy in the final, 2 bronze medallists, and the two that beat Nevin and Joyce have made the final now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well to be fair to Dowling, and I think somebody had a word in his ear, but he has not been bullying the other lads today.
    Its going to be tough for Egan but he has shown so much class so far, and you just know that he will give it 110% in the final that I don't see anything stopping him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Egan is the man another great performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

T-K-O wrote: »
    Egan is the man another great performance.
    Agreed, he was great and i'm thinking he'll do gold..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well done Kenny. Here's hoping he can do the business on Sunday but even if he doesn't he's still done brilliantly.

I'm with you cowzerp. Gold for Kenny and by the looks of things he deserves it. Our best boxer out there by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Egan boxed superbly, although I was alarmed a tad at his comments after the fight to Marty Morrison, that he can't wait to get home to see his family - granted, but shouldn't an Olympic finalist have only one thing on his mind? I just got a shiver that he may just coast and be happy with the silver -time will tell!

I thought Sutherland let himself down, again I got the impression he was just too happy with a bronze and kept his foot off the gas for his bout, and in his interview you'd swear he boxed the fight of his life, and he didn't.
    Walsh was right to be disappointed with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

BTW - QUOTE OF THE TOURNAMENT -

"he'll have to box his socks of, and he wears small socks so he's grand"

By who? None other...

Jon wrote: »
    Egan boxed superbly, although I was alarmed a tad at his comments after the fight to Marty Morrison, that he can't wait to get home to see his family - granted, but shouldn't an Olympic finalist have only one thing on his mind? I just got a shiver that he may just coast and be happy with the silver -time will tell!

I thought Sutherland let himself down, again I got the impression he was just too happy with a bronze and kept his foot off the gas for his bout, and in his interview you'd swear he boxed the fight of his life, and he didn't.
    Walsh was right to be disappointed with him.

Don't read to much into what these guys are saying directly after the fight.

Egan will be focused on the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

I have no doubt that Egan will be focused, on the GOLD;)

He is too intelligent a boxer to be otherwise:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

What does anyone think of Egans chance for the gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Jon wrote:

Can you blame the guy...he misses his mothers Denny sausages. Wouldn't any man want to get home for that!!! Suppose they are Gold Medal ones too!

creggy wrote: »
    What does anyone think of Egans chance for the gold?

He'd be favourite in my book. He'd be strong favourite if the fight wasn't in China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

egan is 4/7 and the china (cant spell his name :rolleyes:) guy is 5/4 with paddy power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

egan is 4/7 and the china (cant spell his name :rolleyes:) guy is 5/4 with paddy power
    Thats only because all the irish are betting on egan winning, although i think he can do it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

delighted for kenny, always knew he had the tools but I had my doubt before the tournament started that he wouldnt have the bottle, I felt in the past that if he was pressured he would crack but he has shown great maturity in how he has handled himself, has been a worthy captain and credit to both the sport and the irish people.... I hope he gets gold not for national pride but for himself!

Felt really sorry for Barnes, he was clearly dejected after his bout and was very honest in how he spoke but its clear that he is truly passionate about winning and feels he let himself down (I think the scoring just made the defeat even harder to swallow). He obviously cant gauge the level of support for his achievements and once he comes home I am sure what he achieved will sink in, he was up against a really class opponent and he will have better days, his attitude will stand him no end!!!!!!

As for sutherland, i really have mixed opinions, I was rooting for him to do well but I always had this thing in the back of my head, if this guy wins gold we will have to listen to him for years on end, he really could do with being just a little more humble, I was disappointed with his comments at the end and felt he should have shown Degale a little more respect.

Cmonnnnnn Kenny

• Advertisement

I really think he can do it but, the whole home advantage thing aghh. The panel wore talking about how the judges wore would tend to go in favour for the host nation. Basically they wore saying if Zou Shiming (boxer who beat Barnes) doesn't win gold against the Mongolian, the judges will definite go in favour of of Zhang Xiaoping when Egan fights him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

while its fantastic that kenny egan has made the final and the boy has dont absolutly nothing wrong in any fight , i think its fair to say he hasnt faced one real quality fighter along the way , that guy jeffires he beat today was clearly no great shakes

as for barnes , his outrageous post match rant aside , he was beaten by possibly the best fighter in the tournament , sutherland on the other hand gave an awfull performance , swinging punches but never connecting , his trademark of holding his 2 arms like a wall in front of his opponent untill the other guy tires didnt work this time , hes a bit of a one trick pony and not a particulary exciting fighter

p.s , he looks like mike tyson with the helmet on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

irish_bob wrote: »
    while its fantastic that kenny egan has made the final and the boy has dont absolutly nothing wrong in any fight , i think its fair to say he hasnt faced one real quality fighter along the way , that guy jeffires he beat today was clearly no great shakes

Irish_bob, you are a gas man, do you even realise what is required to be one fight away from an Olympic gold. I think it was Pheredykes said in another forum that yes there are thousands of world class athletes and sportpeople in Ireland but unfortunately none of them are doing the sports as they are all sitting on barstools in pubs or else lurking on the internet:)

When we weren't winning medals you were spouting muck, now we have 2 bronze and potential gold and you are still having the sneery little gombeen man digs. Humour me and give some unqualified credit to an Irish sportsperson for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Tingle wrote: »
    I think it was Pheredykes said in another forum that yes there are thousands of world class athletes and sportpeople in Ireland but unfortunately none of them are doing the sports as they are all sitting on barstools in pubs or else lurking on the internet:)

Class.
    :D

Tingle wrote: »
    Irish_bob, you are a gas man, do you even realise what is required to be one fight away from an Olympic gold. I think it was Pheredykes said in another forum that yes there are thousands of world class athletes and sportpeople in Ireland but unfortunately none of them are doing the sports as they are all sitting on barstools in pubs or else lurking on the internet:)

When we weren't winning medals you were spouting muck, now we have 2 bronze and potential gold and you are still having the sneery little gombeen man digs. Humour me and give some unqualified credit to an Irish sportsperson for once.

im a gaa man , am i , youve certainly pigeonholed me , more of a soccer man to be honest but i might borrow a gaa phrase , play the ball , not the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Irish Bob was banned from the sports forum for trolling on this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348202

It appears he is now taking his Irish olympic trolling onto the boxing forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

lads bbc now have first lot of final , BUT behind I 'm watching RTE LIVECAST, BBC also jumping between sports.

Will I post results ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

BBC have multi-screen options.

If you can get them, you can watch the boxing right through.

Just about to see the best boxer in the games - Lomachenko, feather from Ukraine. Have a few bob on him from a long way out.

megadodge wrote: »
    BBC have multi-screen options.

If you can get them, you can watch the boxing right through.

Just about to see the best boxer in the games - Lomachenko, feather from Ukraine. Have a few bob on him from a long way out.[/QUOTE[/B

WOW that was special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just about to see the best boxer in the games - Lomachenko, feather from Ukraine. Have a few bob on him from a long way out.

Val Barker wrapped up !

1st round stoppage.

If this guy stays amateur, he'll continue to win and get Best Boxer awards.

If he turns pro..... Jaysus promoters all over the world will be queing up for him. He has it all !!

Again WOW

That was some display by Lomachenko , Well done DODGE
    Something special , PURE CLASS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

irish_bob wrote: »
    im a gaa man ,

GAS I said not GAA (reread my post), says it all really, jump to conclusions without reading properly.

Diaz who beat Joyce has taken the gold , Adding even more strength to the Irish teams performance , if we even needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Degale fighting on BBC now, really frustrating the Cuban who's had a warning. Degale 10-4 up after round 2. Degale complained the Correa bit him in 1st round.

Degale wins gold. Had a warning and the Cuban got within 2 points, but Degale deserved it - the Cuban got frustrated and ended up losing the head really. Looked shattered as well

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    Degale wins gold. Had a warning and the Cuban got within 2 points, but Degale deserved it - the Cuban got frustrated and ended up losing the head really. Looked shattered as well

Adding even more weight to your Irish Team performances

Darren just got his bronze - looks very happy. Patrick Hickey from the Irish IOC presenting the medals. On channel 4 here

joker77 wrote: »

As bad an Olympic final as I've seen. terrible bout. Tactics win fights though

BTW Diaz won his final either so thats two gold medallist that Irish boxers lost to

Results of the first lot of Finals

51 kg (Fly )

Jongjohor ( THA )
    Beat
    Hernandeiz ( Cuba )
    8 - 2
    57 Kg

Lomachenko (UKR )
    Beat
    Djelkhir ( FRA )
    Stopped Rd 1 (3 ten counts )
    Just have to say WOW an unreal performance , pure class
    64 Kg (Light-welter )

Diaz ( DOM ) (beat joyce)
    Beat
    Bonnjumnong (THA)
    12 - 4
    75 Kg ( Middle)

Degale ( GBR ) (Beat Sutherland)
    Beat
    Bayeaux ( CUBA)
    16 - 14
    91 Kg ( Heavy )

Chakhkiev ( RUS )
    Beat
    Russo ( ITA )
    4 - 2

KevIRL wrote: »
    Irish Bob was banned from the sports forum for trolling on this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348202

It appears he is now taking his Irish olympic trolling onto the boxing forum.

dont be a tell tale , besides the humour deficent moderator who banned me was lambasted by all in sundry afterwards

• Advertisement

Can we stick the boxing lads. I'm sure we can all ignore the once inn four years posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is anyone concerned about the judging for Egan's fight, given the Barnes spectacle?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned about the judging for Egan's fight, given the Barnes spectacle?

Not really. I've yet to see the wrong fighter win, and I/ve watched most of the boxing.

I am :(. I said all in my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dodge wrote: »
    Not really. I've yet to see the wrong fighter win, and I/ve watched most of the boxing.

I concur, I don't have any problem with the scoring in these olympics, unlike the WC in Chicago. Scoring has been very consistant throughout.

Dodge wrote: »

It's not the wrong fighter, it's the points scored (or lack of) against Barnes. There is no way any case can be made for him not scoring 1 point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

well I only had him score 1. So that's well within my margin of error.

It's not the wrong fighter, it's the points scored (or lack of) against Barnes. There is no way any case can be made for him not scoring 1 point.

14-1, 15-0, 15-1, 16-1

No real difference

Barnes scored way more than one point. Rewatch the fight.

Barnes scored way more than one point. Rewatch the fight.

I#ve watched it twice. Not going to do it again. If he was given 2 points he'd have done well. Look at it from Zou Shiming's point of view and be as generous. And I'll repeat, the correct decision was made, so waht real difference does it make?

• Advertisement
Advertisement