Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dlofnep wrote: »
    Barnes scored way more than one point. Rewatch the fight.
    But it's really irrelevant when there's such a winning margin. I can understand complaining about it if the margin was tight but he was well beaten.

Because of the way the scoring system is calculated there will always be points missed ( on both sides ) but when you're claiming that you should've gotten points for the two times you actually connected when your opponent connected many many more times it just smacks of sour grapes.

I understand Barnes is hurting and understandably so but he was well beaten and he knows it. He just feels embarrassed about the 15-0 score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He was beaten, that's not the point I was making. I was trying to defend him stating that he had won the fight. My point was that they didn't give him ONE point, when he clearly scored many points.

It doesn't matter in Barnes' fight - But what happens if Egan is caught up in an even fight against the man from China? Do you think the point scoring system will come into effect then? Absolutely. We've all seen what happen RJJ. If you don't think there is a possibility of it happening Egan, you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have 1 point remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Barnes should have had at least 3 points, but if those three are scoring shots, then Shimming should have had 25. Then Barnes would have lost on the 20 point rule!

As has been said, nobody has lost a fight in this competition due to the judging and that is the main thing.

Looking forward to Kenny's fight in the morning, will be on the edge of the bed watching it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

On a side note. Did anyone see what happened today in taekwondo today?
    Britain's Sarah Stevenson took Olympic bronze in the women's +67kg taekwondo after a rollercoaster day of emotions.

Stevenson had lost her quarter-final to China's Chen Zhong, but a successful appeal against a controversial judging decision gave her a second chance.
    source

I saw this today and I couldn't believe they didn't catch this first around. I'm no taekwondo expert but, it was clearly obvious she made contact. Granted, she got the second chance but still, it makes me wonder how leinent judges are to Chinese competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

irishbob is now cat banned from Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Draupnir wrote: »
    As has been said, nobody has lost a fight in this competition due to the judging and that is the main thing.

I wouldn't be certain about that. I felt the Ghanaian beat Washington Silva and that is an opinion I have only seen shared(both here and by panellists on RTÉ)

and although I have missed the fights I have heard Beterbiyev was robbed against the Chinese fighter earlier in the tournament.

I have also heard Li Yang was lucky to beat Luis Porrozo, Georgiev was unlucky against a Mongolian opponent, and Vodyapanov was robbed against the Indian Kumar.

I have also heard Americans claiming of robberies against Demetrius Andrade and Raynell Williams.

I have seen a preference towards Asian fighters in this tournament, maybe it hasn't made that many robberies but it's there and if the fight is anyway close tomorrow I think Xiaoping will get it. We should be rooting for Zou Shiming to win tomorrow aswell, cause if he doesn't Xiaopins' chances are greatly increased.

On an unrelated note :rolleyes: http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/2008/0823/boxing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 handyscore

Dodge wrote: »
    I#ve watched it twice. Not going to do it again. If he was given 2 points he'd have done well. Look at it from Zou Shiming's point of view and be as generous. And I'll repeat, the correct decision was made, so waht real difference does it make?

Lads I am new on here and next to you guys know next to nothing about boxing, however I am not blind and I am not a fool. Paddy Barnes landed 5 or 6 big obvious shots during that fight that should have scored points. If I was going to be pernickety I could say a lot more.

It did not change the result of the fight? I have to disagree with that point. In the early stages of the fight Barnes was competitive however he did not get the scores this meant he had to chase the Chinese fighter a lot in the last 2 rounds and was easily picked off. We will never know what the final result might have been had the fight been scored correctly. I do accept that the winner would most likely have been the Chinese fighter even with fair scoring. That does not change the fact that Paddy Barnes was not given a fair chance by the judges and he was right to react as he did.

There seems to be an acceptance in amateur boxing of poor point scoring on the basis that it always happens with home town fighters and it will work in your favour on another occasion, this is not a sporting attitude, this is anti sportsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Good luck Kenny and bring home the Gold medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

handyscore wrote: »
    Lads I am new on here and next to you guys know next to nothing about boxing, however I am not blind and I am not a fool. Paddy Barnes landed 5 or 6 big obvious shots during that fight that should have scored points

Listen, I'd love for Paddy to have scored the points, and I'd have loved for him to have won, but there is no way in hell he landed "5 or 6 obvious big shots"

We're just kidding oursleves if we think that.

Anyway, its not going to change so can we agree to move on, Hopefully Kenny does the job tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 handyscore

quote]

Does refereeing count. JJ Joyce lost out on a possible gold medal because a ref gave him a warning that was not in accordance with the rules according to the lads on the rte panel. This fight was decided on countback, it just goes to show that one point not awarded due to bad refereeing can have a massive impact. Are you going to say ah sure he was knocked out in an earlier round and would not have won the gold in any event.

quote]

Does refereeing count. JJ Joyce lost out on a possible gold medal because a ref gave him a warning that was not in accordance with the rules according to the lads on the rte panel. This fight was decided on countback, it just goes to show that one point not awarded due to bad refereeing can have a massive impact. Are you going to say ah sure he was knocked out in an earlier round and would not have won the gold in any event.

I think you'll find he was well within the rule book to warn him, he was not correct to then caution him for the same offence, he must warn him again, then disqualify him if he has to interviene again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

efb wrote: »

I think you'll find he was well within the rule book to warn him, he was not correct to then caution him for the same offence, he must warn him again, then disqualify him if he has to interviene again.

He would also have been well within in the rules to warn the Dominican fighter for coming in with his head down consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

quote]

also, what about the French fighter, he was level on points with the Chinese fighter, when he was docked two points with 15 seconds to go in the final round. That seemed a bit dodgy to me. i hope to God Egan is well ahead, because if its close, and Zhou hasn't won gold in his bout, i fear skulldugery taking place in favour of Xiaoping

Big Ears wrote: »
    He would also have been well within in the rules to warn the Dominican fighter for coming in with his head down consistently.

I'd agree with that. Forgot about the referee's performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dlofnep wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned about the judging for Egan's fight, given the Barnes spectacle?

Yeah, I am definately worried about this. I think Kenny has to win really well, but I think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

We'll be getting up at 3.45am here in Canada to cheer on Kenny - no matter what happens in the final he's a hero already, and well done to him. Here's to gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Unreal Shiming (beat barnes ) and Ebkhbat (beat Nevin ) have just won Gold each , So every Irish fighter has lost to a the Gold medalist. wow Some record and shows how good and strong the Irish where and are . Now lets cap it with a Gold ourselves
    Come on KENNY

Barnes' victor wins RSC2. Didn't like the way Zou ran against him in the first. You knew his shoulder was f*cked after R1.

efb wrote: »
    Barnes' victor wins RSC2. Didn't like the way Zou ran against him in the first. You knew his shoulder was f*cked after R1.

I know and if like Dowling thinks he gets BEST BOXER award it will be a joke , He only had one great fight (perfromance) and sadly it was against Barnes

• Advertisement

also, what about the French fighter, he was level on points with the Chinese fighter, when he was docked two points with 15 seconds to go in the final round. That seemed a bit dodgy to me. i hope to God Egan is well ahead, because if its close, and Zhou hasn't won gold in his bout, i fear skulldugery taking place in favour of Xiaoping

It was Diaz from Dom Rep that got the decision off the Frenchman.

Shevchenco(sp?) Rus double weight Olympic champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Good bout, Russian was too cute for the Frenchman.

Tishchenko Double weight Gold medalist ,first time done by a fighter moving up in weights , WELL DONE , and the cork lads would say "A CUTE WHORE"

Got my Alex the Lion Teddy, come on Kenny!

Brought the dog for a walk to take the pressure off:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

cmon kenny bring home the bacon....

ps the lads doing the commentary on rte seem to be havin some craic did u see the wig on carruthback n his hay day :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

C'mon Kenny!

Come on Kenny!

Up here in Canada - thank God they're streaming it.

Great support in the crowd - is this in the Stadium!? :D

2-0 China after 1st.

Very cagey opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Different start and boxing than his previous fights...COME ON EGAN!!!
    3-5!!

5-3 after 2nd. Much better.

Well I'm not going to defend scorers anymore...

Congrats on silver Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Scoring is an absolute disgrace....Egan's got to fight the judges as well as the chinese dude..he's landing shot after shot and getting no score, disgraceful, a total fix/shambles..the outcome of this bout was decided before either guy got in the ring....outrageous

This is pure bull sh*t. Like Dlofnep predicted, the chinese is getting points for swinging his arms and egan is landing but no points.

Edit: I can't believe that clown magee is not picking up on it, the guys on the BBC are crying foul

Great effort Kenny, you did us proud:D

Great stuff from Egan, but I think there were other factors outside the ring that made it a bridge too far.

I'm no expert but some of the scoring was all over the place :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

That scoring is a bit dubious...

Well done Kenny!! He did us proud!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fair play Kenny. The BBC guys are not happy about the scoring.

• Advertisement

Lads can you post the reaction from the RTÉ panel for the expats here?

Cheers. . . .

As expected, SHADY scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Very very unlucky not to win gold.

Judging is very suspect to say the least.

Wish Jimmy would stop talking crap....darts ffs. What next ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I dont understand Olympic scoring ..is it much different from the usual amature c'hsips. if that was a normal match it would have been a draw at least. Eagan's the better boxer IMO. well dont kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They are not happy, bemused by the scoring....as am I....some quotes

"The Chinese man got a point for shadow boxing."

"He seemed to be getting points for nothing."

"Kenny was landing crisp punches and not getting the point"

I don't know, but alot of the Chinese lads points seemed to be for little or nothing to me, and kenny seemed to land several points scoring punches that were clean and crisp and yet no points. The judges seemed to want to keep him out of reach on the scoreboard.

Anyways it was a ****ing disgrace, i feel sry for the lad, all that effort and you don't get a fair crack of the whip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

menoscemo wrote: »

Edit: I can't believe that clown magee is not picking up on it, the guys on the BBC are crying foul

Yeah fair play to the Beeb for fighting the Irishman's corner and highlighting the obvious fix/farce that fight so clearly was...some of the American channels also going tonto, partic NBC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

robbed. feel gutted for him. scorin got farcical in last 2 rounds especially.

but nothin doin now. maith thu kenny, well proud of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Sounds dodgy from reaction here thats unfortunate. Hell be ragin about the result.

COngrats but that sounds sh1y house with regard ti the scoring.

juvenal wrote: »
    Lads can you post the reaction from the RTÉ panel for the expats here?

Cheers. . . .

The panellists are crying foul, unfortunately our live comentator the senile Jimmy McGee didn't notice anything at the time.

BBC's live text had plenty to say about the scoring

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/live_action/7579347.stm

I told you all the judging was going to be shady. Where's the critics now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement