Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

In Jimmy's defense I would say that he was very nervous for what to say with it being an Irish gold on the line and knowing that so many people were watching at home. Like us, he was nervous for Kenny...I dunno, just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dlofnep wrote: »
    I told you all the judging was going to be shady. Where's the critics now?

I agreed with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

again I don't disagree with the end result, Kenny let the Chinese take the lead and that was difficult to come back. Chinese was clever after taking the lead, every time Kenny scored the Chinaman got a point for little. 2 points in it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Inquitus wrote: »
    I don't know, but alot of the Chinese lads points seemed to be for little or nothing to me, and kenny seemed to land several points scoring punches that were clean and crisp and yet no points. The judges seemed to want to keep him out of reach on the scoreboard.
    Anyways it was a ****ing disgrace, i feel sry for the lad, all that effort and you don't get a fair crack of the whip.

too right, only once came within a point for more than 3 seconds at 6-5... every time kenny'd get close they'd throw another one at zhiang

robo wrote: »
    In Jimmy's defense I would say that he was very nervous for what to say with it being an Irish gold on the line and knowing that so many people were watching at home. Like us, he was nervous for Kenny...I dunno, just my opinion!

well then he shouldn't be commentating, I had to turn it over to BBC to get real commentators and they saw it a mile off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

In fairness, Kenny said himself he was half asleep at the start, and I think I would have had the Chinese guy up after the 1st round. Once he got that lead he was hard to reel in with the awkward style. When Kenny came in the other guy was able to grab him with his longer arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I say rematch them both in the pros! Kenny will take his head clean off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Kenny Egan won that fight.... can't believe the scoring! As Billy Walsh just said Kenny landed 5/6 clear punches that weren't scored and the Chinese wasn't landing them cleanly and somehow was still scoring. There is no glory in that!

Well done Kenny..... you can be proud of your performance!

more from interview for us abroad please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I say stay amateur kenny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

"Having just watched the gold medal clash for the 81kg weight category I'm left wondering if the judges were watching something else. Egan was clearly the winner. There has to be an investigation into the boxing scoring."

Quote from the BBC website.

menoscemo wrote: »
    well then he shouldn't be commentating, I had to turn it over to BBC to get real commentators and they saw it a mile off
    True...

Ah damn, we could be listening to our national anthem now... :(

He will have to defect to turn pro maybe he could defect to the uk in 2012 and we could have a grudge match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

So the BBC are calling it bad judging and its not just Irish bias.
    We all expected some bad scoring and now its happened.

Is it serious bribery and corruption of the judges by the chinese or just some kind of home bias that has caused this?

"Having just watched the gold medal clash for the 81kg weight category I'm left wondering if the judges were watching something else. Egan was clearly the winner. There has to be an investigation into the boxing scoring."

Quote from the BBC website.

In fairness, the people wo write those pages aren't experts in any field, and just comment on all sports. Not saying they're wrong either, just wouldn't be basing anything on it.

FOr the record the judges were

Judge 1 KASSYMKANOV Berikbol Kazakhstan
    Judge 2 DORKO Peter Hungary
    Judge 3 SOMCHAI Artit Thailand
    Judge 4 APA Enrico Italy
    Judge 5 PONCE Juan Cuba

these judges are stayin in hotels havin their food made by home supporters, gettin driven around by home taxis etc etc they've got thousands of home supporters cheerin every time zhang punches egans guard, its not corruption i dont think, but everythin around them is uppin china so very hard to avoid bias.

They just showed the last 30 seconds of the 3rd round and Kenny landed 4 clean and obvious punches unscored while the chinese got a point for throwing 6 inches above his head.

Dodge wrote: »
    In fairness, the people wo write those pages aren't experts in any field, and just comment on all sports. Not saying they're wrong either, just wouldn't be basing anything on it.

Judge 4 APA Enrico Italy
    Judge 5 PONCE Juan Cuba

it wasnt the journo that wrote it he just typed out a text from some london fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It was shady scoring. That's exactly what it was. Kenny was the better boxer in the fight. He's a gold medalist in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dodge wrote: »

Judge 4 APA Enrico Italy
    Judge 5 PONCE Juan Cuba

Looking at those nations listed I reckon it was out and out bribery like the South Koreans did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Another BBC viewer:

"Just watched the Irish lad box. It seemed every time he hit the Chinese boxer they gave the point to the wrong boxer. The Irish should protest."
    L Leach, Fareham via text on 81111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

whats the real likleyhood of a dispute ? low ? just take it on the chin ?

Yeh agree, we should move on from this. They also said that the chinese guy missed a few points that he should have been given!

Bernard makes an excellant point "Are we not White collar enough?" Kenny should be all over the ads next year endorsing things. Hopefully we can keep Kenny for 2012. Then again Michael as Olympic Gold Medalist gets less coverage than an athletic Silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Time to hit the bed here.

Just like to say a big congratulations to the Irish boxers and well done. They did us proud and are great ambassadors for Ireland. Here's to London 2012. Three medals from five boxers is a damn good return, and it's just a pity they weren't yellowish in colour.

All the best. . .

• Advertisement

Looking at those nations listed I reckon it was out and out bribery like the South Koreans did.

They're 5 of the most respected boxing countries in the world.

Absolutely no point in protesting IMO.

Shame, but we'll have to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

menoscemo wrote: »
    They just showed the last 30 seconds of the 3rd round and Kenny landed 4 clean and obvious punches unscored while the chinese got a point for throwing 6 inches above his head.

Aye the more you watch it the worse it looks :(

I decided not to watch any of the Olympics in protest at it being awarded to the People's Republic of China. How we can think that such a country will be "democatic" and fair in awarding points is a mystery. I know the judges weren't Chinese but punsihment of death for not throwing the fight might have persuaded them.

BTW the Italian Cammarelle is beating the Chinese superheavy weight 11-3 after 2 rounds

Alany wrote: »
    whats the real likleyhood of a dispute ? low ? just take it on the chin ?

for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Really angry about the scoring.Oh so predictable as well-was evident after the Barnes-Shining fight.Disgusting...

As an aside,Jimmy McGee should be put out to pasture.I always tolerated and even enjoyed some of his eccentricities in the past but this was terrible.Twee,patronising,no incisive comments.As an other poster on another forum said he's a "knows the price of things but the value of nothing" sort of fellow....talking about how many Irish had won such-and-such a medal in the past.Let the excellent Dowling commentate for London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Watching the Italian/Chinese bout to see if same stuff goes on...Brilliant quote from BBC's Adrian Chile's just now..."if i was boxing for China, I'd win a gold"...nuff said really

Cammarelle wins well

Silver for China

Again Italian has to do more to get points but result beyond doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Just over a second after the Chinese fighter got his first point I knew what was happening here. Egan landed a lovely left uppercut straight afterwards and there was no score.

Even in the short replays they showed on RTÉ, they only showed 3 but one clearly hit the gloves, another was landed with the palm and not even powerfully and the final the second one they showed looked like a bit of a slap aswell.

They then showed a short clip where Egan should of been awarded 3/4 points and got none.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/2008/0823/boxing.html
    Just thought it was relevant to post that again.

Btw China isn't really a proper communist country, they allow fighters to turn pro. There has been 15 pro cards in China this year. There has been 93 active Chinese fighters that have fought in the last year.

But Xiaoping probably won't turn pro, it's an odd thing but in many of the Asian countries their good amateurs stay amateur. Even in Thailand who always has a lot of World Champions in the lower weights.

Xiaoping will never win another Olympics and he'll never win a World Championships(outside of China), he's not a bad fighter but he's just not good enough to do it.

RSC4 Chinese Italian relations won't be good.

Kenny interview on BBC1 now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

All the results for the Olympic Finals

48 Kg (Light -Fly )

Shiming ( China ) (beat Barnes)
    Beat
    Purevdorj ( MGL )
    RSC RD2
    51 kg (Fly )

Jongjohor ( THA )
    Beat
    Hernandeiz ( Cuba )
    8 - 2
    54 Kg ( Bantam )

Ebkhbat ( MGL) (beat Nevin)
    Beat
    Alarcon ( Cuba )
    16 - 5
    57 Kg

Lomachenko (UKR )
    Beat
    Djelkhir ( FRA )
    Stopped Rd 1 (3 ten counts )
    Just have to say WOW an unreal performance , pure class
    60 Kg

Tishchenko ( RUS)
    Beat
    Sow ( FRA)
    11 - 9
    64 Kg (Light-welter )

Diaz ( DOM ) (beat joyce)
    Beat
    Bonnjumnong (THA)
    12 - 4
    69 Kg ( Welter )

Sarsekbayev ( KAZ )
    Beat
    Banteaux Suarez ( Cuba )
    18 - 9
    75 Kg ( Middle)

Degale ( GBR ) (Beat Sutherland)
    Beat
    Bayeaux ( CUBA)
    16 - 14
    81 Kg ( Light - Heavy)

Xiaoping ( China)
    Beat
    Egan ( IRL ):(:(
    11 - 7

91 Kg ( Heavy )

Chakhkiev ( RUS )
    Beat
    Russo ( ITA )
    4 - 2
    +91 Kg ( Super-Heavy )

Cammerelle ( ITA )
    Beat
    Zhang ( China )
    RSC Rd 4

Just watched an Egan Interview on BBC and he sounds quite bitter about the scoring now. He says on one occasion the chinese landed a punch on his elbow and the crowd went wild, so He knew it had scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great weekend of boxing and hard luck to Kenny who gave it everything I felt. Close
    fight, but I think the Chinaman was just a little to tricky and fast for Kenny. Some
    dubious scoring too.

I hear the pro game is being mentioned. I feel Egan is just not suited at all and it would IMO be a bad idea to go pro.

I think the man who should feel the most disappointed is Sutherland. DeGale is classy, but from the final, he showed nothing special and was lucky to win.
    I watched the Sutherland fight again and was disappointed with Darren's lack
    of spark and hunger. I think he just wanted that Bronze. Egan was interviewed after
    his win in the semis and he said he was 'disappointed IN Darren,' and that if Darren was happy to settle for the bronze, then so be it and that he (Egan) was here for the GOLD. Was there something simmering there between the camp. I think Darren may have simply settled for the bronze and the lads knew this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While there was dubious scoring i felt the Chinese fighter was the better man on the day. His reach caused Egan no end of trouble. Combined with his decent handspeed it enabled him to land effective counter punches as Egan tried to get inside.
    Obviously when Egan got that far there is diappointment he didn't win gold but if we think back to a few weeks ago where there was a thread about our boxers chances of winning medals most people were saying it was unlikely any of them would win medals, so it's a phenomenal achievement he got a silver and that the five all lost to the eventual winners in their respective weight divisions. Also, think of how many young lads will take up boxing now on the back of this i feel it augurs well for future success in Olympic Boxing.

While there was dubious scoring i felt the Chinese fighter was the better man on the day. His reach caused Egan no end of trouble. Combined with his decent handspeed it enabled him to land effective counter punches as Egan tried to get inside.
    Obviously when Egan got that far there is diappointment he didn't win gold but if we think back to a few weeks ago where there was a thread about our boxers chances of winning medals most people were saying it was unlikely any of them would win medals, so it's a phenomenal achievement he got a silver and that the five all lost to the eventual winners in their respective weight divisions. Also, think of how many young lads will take up boxing now on the back of this i feel it augurs well for future success in Olympic Boxing.

Man, I heard Darren O'Neill beat this guy in a tournament. They never said when which I thought was silly. Anyone know when?

Anyway, your points are good. The Chinese guy was tall and rangy and big. Kenny didn't have any significant physical advantage, which was a problem. The Chinese guy also boxed so clever and let Kenny lead; which is not Kenny's style really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did Cuba really not win any golds?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thats a little ott from you tbf. Its just after the bout, he went into that ring believing he could win the bout, he admitted that he was beaten by a better boxer. He was disgusted with the judging and the fact that he did not get a score. It was not all about losing although that would not have helped. His annoyance and comments were more aimed at the judging than at the loss.
    He might have came across as a sore loser to some people but that is not what it was about imo after listening to his interview.
    After listening to his interview?

Did you listen to the same interview I listened to?

The one immediately following his loss?

He showed nothing but sour grapes and the whole 'it was just after the fight' doesn't wash with me. Marty Morrissey asked him to repeat what he said and Barnes was direct and deliberate in what he said. Plenty of great athletes have lost a potential GOLD in the games, but I haven't heard any whine like Barnes. The medal should have been withheld if that's the way he felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Shame about Egan.
    How much of the credit should go to Billy Walsh & co for the boxers' performance?
    To my uneducated eyes they really seem to have done the business, their preparation must have been spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i think he was robbed, loads of his punches did not count and every flick your man done did, i'd have reversed the scores. I think he was great in his inter view

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

From Corriere della Sera newspaper website: "Le sei ragazze della ritmica in lacrime: «Giuria scandalosa»"

Italian gymnastic team saying scandalous judging in their event also so we're not the only one's complaining.

I think it was a close close fight that neither can really say the WON it. I can't really claim a robbery, yes, Egan wasn't scored for several shots, but I also saw the Chinaman not get a few as well. Had this bout been a scorecard affair, I think Egan gets the nod. I was impressed by the Chinaman who was very slick and tricky and big. He has obviously improved immensely since Darren O'Neill beat him, no disrespect to O'Neill by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Did Cuba really not win any golds?

YES ONLY 4 silvers and 4 bronzes
    Mikel wrote: »
    Shame about Egan.
    How much of the credit should go to Billy Walsh & co for the boxers' performance?
    To my uneducated eyes they really seem to have done the business, their preparation must have been spot on.

A Hell of alot of credit should go to the whole Irish Coaching Team the same as great credit must go to their Coaches and clubs at home.
    In all the fights I think they got the game plan and tactics right And in two fights Sutherland v Blanco and Egan v Silva and think they where fantastic and spot on , I said it at the time they should take a bow, magnificent behind the sences work.
    The only time the game plan seem to come un-stuck was Sutherland v Degale but the corner can only do so much, Think that was more down to Darren's attitude

Irish BOXING TEAM 5 boxers I SILVER ,2 BRONZES, all lost to GOLD MEDALIST

RTE Sportperson of the Year EGAN 2nd to a golfer :(

RTE Team of the YEAR (Including Coaches ) 100% hell Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 handyscore

Steroids are the curse of a lot of other olympic sports but bad judging is the curse of amateur boxing. I didn't see the first round but Egan was on top for the rest of the fight and was let down by the point scoring of the judges. The fight should have been tied or better going into the final round and would have given Egan a good chance of winning. Is this ever going to change lads. Team GB will win a tonne of boxing gold medals in 4 years time because they are the home team.

Advertisement