Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

DubCul wrote: »
    Kenny's next bout is next Tuesday v Silva (Brazil)

No time as yet.

didnt think much of the Brazilian tbh - Egan can beat him imo - hope he gets Jeffries then and then we COULD have a finalist - get fooooking in!!

yes yes I know I am getting ahead of myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great result,Very decent performance,
    As to be expected the opposition is/will get harder , Silva with be another step up , Think Egan can win it but it will be no walk in the park,
    Silva look pretty good and sound and even managed the impossible in round 1 (scored a body shot :eek::eek:) Has a good defence,
    Having said that he seems to carry his defence on the high side and is open to rights hooks to the body, Also his age (32) seemed to catch up with him in the last round and finished a very tired fighter (his fitness was not helped by amount of body shots he had to soak up )
    Having said this I expect Egan to be a hell of alot more accurate ,focused , restrained and professional that his opponent today, And should be enough to see him through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

he,s getting hit on the break every time, ref should be breaking it up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

he has not broke them us once, joyce will catch him up i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

great round 3 by joyce so far

• Advertisement

that was a very heavy hit joyce took

9-8 up now. After been 5 to 1 down. :)

joyce leads by 1 but a very messy fight

he,s getting hit on the break every time, ref should be breaking it up.

countback, prick of a ref.

• Advertisement

lost, hard luck johnjoe. Robbed by that ****e reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Beaten on countback, unlucky, but think correct result:(

that ref was fluckin disgraceful like cowz said everytime they broke up joyce got a slap and the judges scored it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

How does countback work? Is it just whoever won the last round?

How does countback work? Is it just whoever won the last round?

Whoever got the most presses of buttons including the non scoring ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

no it's all the points awarded by the middle three of the judges. not just the ones that registered, where three need ot press the button within second, but every time they pressed it added together. no word on the official site of the score on countback.

ref was poor, and should have warned diaz. but he didn't, and the right man, unfortunately, won. he can be positive for 2012 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Missed the Joyce fight. Hard luck to him.

I saw Egan this morning who did very well and looked very composed, accurate and neat.

His only problem is he seems to be falling in lazily after he throws the big left cross and this could be very dangerous against a heavy hitter with a good counter hook.

He has the beatings of the Brazilian I feel who had a very tough win against that ROCK of a Gahanian. The Ghanian threw some real heavy hopks throughout, lovely powerful and compact hitter he was. I'm glad the Brazilian got thru and not him, as I think he could do serious damage to Egan if he landed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭dbrady01

the ref was a bit quick to issue the warning imop. I would blame the judges more than the ref they are the ones who were pressing the buttons after the ref said break but the ref was poxy. JJ can still hold his head high tho so well done to him. Hopefully he will stay amature till 2012 and with the experiance will stand to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

more bad news for joyce

the romanian, Gheorge, who won bronze in athens lost to his iranian opponent in the next fight. he could have got a nice quarter final had it gone the other way. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

BRADLEY SAUNDERS OF UK ON NEXT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Missed the fight but hard luck on Joyce.

Egan was impressive this morning, Looking forward to his next bout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Joyce was keeping his hands down when stepping away from Diaz. That cost him his 2 points against Kate and cost him again here. My heart goes out to him after coming from 1-5 down to lead 11-10 with seconds to go. Ref should have given Diaz a warning but it's all meaningless now.

Best of luck to Nevin tomorrow.

Tw good fights after Joyce's. The Mongolian looked very good in beating the Bulgarian and Vastine from France is one tricky classy fighter. He beat Britains
    Bradley Saunders in a good, but often scrappy contest. The French fighter IMO will be hard to beat from here on in. I have seen him twice no and he really is good. The world champ at 64kg also got thru, another brillian figher, Sapiyev I think is the name, from KAZ

fatgav wrote: »
    no it's all the points awarded by the middle three of the judges. not just the ones that registered, where three need ot press the button within second, but every time they pressed it added together. no word on the official site of the score on countback.

ref was poor, and should have warned diaz. but he didn't, and the right man, unfortunately, won. he can be positive for 2012 though

thats correct

walshb wrote: »
    Missed the Joyce fight. Hard luck to him.

I saw Egan this morning who did very well and looked very composed, accurate and neat.

His only problem is he seems to be falling in lazily after he throws the big left cross and this could be very dangerous against a heavy hitter with a good counter hook.

He has the beatings of the Brazilian I feel who had a very tough win against that ROCK of a Gahanian. The Ghanian threw some real heavy hopks throughout, lovely powerful and compact hitter he was. I'm glad the Brazilian got thru and not him, as I think he could do serious damage to Egan if he landed

I was actually thinkin the opposite Bren - I thought that the Ghanian's style would have suits Egans counter punching. The Ghanian was awesomely crude but very effective against someone that is static - thats not Egan.

Anyway we'll never know now and I still think that Egan can beat the Brazilian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So if Egan wins the quarter final, is he gaurenteed at least a bronze?

FatherTed wrote: »
    So if Egan wins the quarter final, is he gaurenteed at least a bronze?

sure is

I was actually thinkin the opposite Bren - I thought that the Ghanian's style would have suits Egans counter punching. The Ghanian was awesomely crude but very effective against someone that is static - thats not Egan.

Anyway we'll never know now and I still think that Egan can beat the Brazilian

Egan definitely has the skills to beat him, but the Gahanian was pretty vicious I thought. A real heavy hard hitter. I didn't think he was crude at all. Super strong and fit. He had a PRO style. Did you think Egan's stamina was a little suspect?
    I did and I hope it doesn't let him down in the next out

walshb wrote: »
    Egan definitely has the skills to beat him, but the Gahanian was pretty vicious I thought. A real heavy hard hitter. I didn't think he was crude at all. Super strong and fit. He had a PRO style. Did you think Egan's stamina was a little suspect?
    I did and I hope it doesn't let him down in the next out

Well I actually was thinkin to myself that someone will snap the Ghanian up for the pro game. I thought he was crude to be honest, but that may have been because he had to rush his game because of the 2 minute rounds.

Kenny definately appeared it fade a end but he has 5 day til his next fight so he has plenty of time to recover. Do you reckon he have overtrained? There isnt really any reason that he should be fading - he's not that old and the fights he's had have been "wars"

• Advertisement

Over trained I don't think is Egan's problem. I would say it's years making 81 kgs, and as you mentioned, he is still relatively young. I just hope it doesn't let him down in his next bout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A good performance from Egan today, he's got a very good chance of picking up a medal now.....better than Bronze too.

One of the favourites at Light-Heavyweight in Beterbiyev was knocked out today, I didn't see the fight myself but apparently he was robbed badly against the hometown fighter.

Hard luck to John Joe Joyce, he battled back brilliantly after a bad start and just couldn't hold on in the end. I felt that 2 point warning was pretty harsh though, especially considering what the Dominican was doing during the contest.

Unfortunately I think Nevin could go tomorrow aswell but we can hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really hope it goes well for Egan. He deserves a bit of luck for a change.

I have been watching the boxing in the Olympics and its been quite a while since I watched amateur boxing but some of the bouts have been scored terribly, cannot remember the names of the boxers but there was one shocking result today involving a french boxer and two days ago with a Ukranian boxer I think it was.

I thought Joyce was unlucky today even though he found it very difficult to handle the constant diving forward of his opponent. He got severely punished in the first round by the referee unfairly imo and his opponent got a lot of warnings and should have been penalised and was not. It should never have went to countback.
    As mentioned above he got nabbed twice with his hands down and it looked like he didn't have a good game plan or else he didn't fight to the gameplan if he had one. Billy Walsh was on his back after every round and obviously during the rounds as well, but he fell in to the trap too many times, otherwise he would have won this comfortably. The ref giving him a count was ridiculous as well, he actually threw a better punch than his opponent when the ref gave him the count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

John Joe, why didn't you keep your head up?

I did think the warning was rather harsh (at the time) but he would have got it later as he wouldn't keep his head up, his dragging and holding was awful in the first. Diaz was very strong and very good at spoiling legally. He infringed but not as illegally (and blatently as Joyce)

Diaz scored well, as an R/J I think his KO was correct, it was a hard blow clean to the head, it jerked right back, thats a count, Joyce did come back with a shot but the ref had shouted stop at this point.

Wasn't impressed with Joyce today. Bernard Dunne is awful on RTE btw, not really analysing the fight sounding rather like a mate of the boxer in the pub after the fight.

If I was in Diaz's corner and he didn't get the decision I'd be rightly miffed, his scoring was better, his attitude was better and boxed far more cleverly.

Ken meanwhile is boxing an excellent amateur contest, the one thing I like about Kenny ( and Lee previously) they know what amateur boxing is about, hitting cleanly and not being hit. When he scores, all 5 judges can see the shot, straight jabs ftw at amateur, body shots, are good but by their nature and how their thrown, its hard for all 5 (or even 3) to see that they landed clearly, the excepting being (again) a good straight to the torso. As I say to the lads a good hook to the body is alot like a cross in soccer, it may not be worth anything on its own, but it can lead to some scores if you follow it up. A crippling body shot, even partially blocked (no score) can leave your opponent open for a succession of straight punches to the head and open torso which are easily scored.

Its not Pro Boxing, the rules and scoring is different, use it to your advantage. You don't expect to win a game of snooker playing it like a game of pool, even if the basic premise is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Was watching the boxing again today. They were saying how the irish had 100% so far with the 5 boxers (before joyce fight). But ive only seen 3 lads and 3 lads that were all the names mentioned? Can someone tell me why the other two irish lads arent being mentioned and who are they and how they getting on?

The ones ive heard so much about is Ken egan,john joe nevin and john joe joyce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

joe123 wrote: »
    Was watching the boxing again today. They were saying how the irish had 100% so far with the 5 boxers (before joyce fight). But ive only seen 3 lads and 3 lads that were all the names mentioned? Can someone tell me why the other two irish lads arent being mentioned and who are they and how they getting on?

The ones ive heard so much about is Ken egan,john joe nevin and john joe joyce?

Paddy Barnes(Light-Flyweight) and Darren Sutherland(Middleweight) both got a bye in the first round, they will fight on Saturday in the last 16 of their weight classes.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Just to confirm the last 16 fights and times. Going waway to Sweden, probably won't get to catch the Thursday and Friday flights.

Thursday: (14/8)
    Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey) 9.15am
    Joyce v (Manuel Félix Díaz (Dominican Republic) 1pm

Friday: (15/8)
    Nevin v Badar-Ungan Enkhbat (Mongolia) 1.45pm

Saturday: (16/8)
    Darren Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria) 8.45am
    Paddy Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador) 12pm

looking forward to nevin today, big ask for him, but there has been alot of suprise victories so far so lets wait and see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Diaz scored well, as an R/J I think his KO was correct, it was a hard blow clean to the head, it jerked right back, thats a count, Joyce did come back with a shot but the ref had shouted stop at this point.

Wasn't impressed with Joyce today. Bernard Dunne is awful on RTE btw, not really analysing the fight sounding rather like a mate of the boxer in the pub after the fight.

I presume by "KO" you mean "count".
    Anyway, I have to disagree with your sentiments as a count should be given to a boxer when he's hurt ! Just because your head is snapped back doesn't mean you're hurt ! It's that kind of fussy over-officiating that often makes amateur boxing infuriating to watch.

I think Bernard Dunne is doing an excellent job as analyst. He's very articulate and comfortable in the job, knows his stuff and obviously he does know the lads, he would have trained with most of them surely, so why pretend otherwise ?

What time is Nevin's fight scheduled for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Dodge wrote: »
    Just to confirm the last 16 fights and times. Going waway to Sweden, probably won't get to catch the Thursday and Friday flights.

Thursday: (14/8)
    Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey) 9.15am
    Joyce v (Manuel Félix Díaz (Dominican Republic) 1pm

Friday: (15/8)
    Nevin v Badar-Ungan Enkhbat (Mongolia) 1.45pm

Saturday: (16/8)
    Darren Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria) 8.45am
    Paddy Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador) 12pm
    Read the last page megadodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

megadodge wrote: »
    I think Bernard Dunne is doing an excellent job as analyst.QUOTE]

+1, as is Carruth but Dowling I find is getting very irritating, comes across as slightly arrogant and needs to chill out a little, overall RTE i think are doing a fine job

• Advertisement

What time is Nevin's fight scheduled for ?

Nevin fights at 1345 hrs Irish time today.

See page 1 of this thread. I linked a schedule in my first post for all the sports and their
    times tec

Did anyone see the Ukranian featherweight Lomachenko this morning ?

Definitely the most impressive boxer I've seen so far.

Beautiful upper body movement, with very tight defence, very fast hands and a lovely array of punches. He beat the Russian world champ (I think) in the first bout and beat a very high quality Uzbek (Olympic bronze I think) this morning with ease.

Keep an eye out for him, well worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

alanceltic wrote: »
    I think Bernard Dunne is doing an excellent job as analyst.QUOTE]

+1, as is Carruth but Dowling I find is getting very irritating, comes across as slightly arrogant and needs to chill out a little, overall RTE i think are doing a fine job

I think there all doing a great job, Carruth, Dowling, Lee and to a lesser extent Dunne, but he's new to it so we'll forgive him.

I must admit RTE are up there with bbc and sky and the likes with coverage on some sporting events.

On a boxing note COME ON NEVIN!!!!

nevin just about to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

The winner of the Nevin vs Enkhbat will fight Ikgopoleng(BOTSWANIA).
    After his opponent who was 8:3 up was stopped in last round with a cut nose!

dwn by 1 after rnd1

down 4-1 after rnd 2 :( come on John Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

not good...two standing counts against Nevin 3rd rnd 7:2

had two standing 8 counts in rnd 3 dwn 7-2
    need a big BIG round now John Joe :(

minute left in the last and its not going good at all........8-2

• Advertisement