Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao points jump

Options
  • 06-08-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

apologies for the distressing headline. just wondering whats the most any course has jumped from one year to the next. low or high points doesnt matter. could be 150 to 300 or 350 to 500. is a 150 point jump possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

150 is certainly possible but very very unlikely.

Is there a way to check up previous points needed for courses?

I know a physics course in TCD (can't remember the full name) jumped about 70 points in 2004.

My own course (Science in UCD) jumped I think 45 points in that year too.

Yeah I think one year one course 'jumped' around 105 points. Really the smaller the intake of students the more 'jumpy' the points will be!

tribulus I can only assume that's the (infamous) Theoretical Physics course in Trinity. Goes on cycles around 530 and then down again to 470 (was 500 in Round 1 and ended up as 495* when I started it if I recall correctly).

That's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah great, that's my first choice. And I spent 6th year thinking I was gonna be doing maths, which sits somewhere in the low 400s. So long as it's not above 550 I should be grand, assuming I go up from the mocks. >.>

Theoretical Physics in Trinity jumped 80 points from 2003-2004!

http://www2.cao.ie/points/DEG03.HTM
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/DEG04.HTM

Look for TR035

There may be bigger jumps if people are bothered to look for them, I just know that one as a friend of mine missed it due to the massive jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I've got a feeling TR031 will drop by 100 points this year and they'll just say '**** the irish requirement'.

I've got a feeling TR031 will drop by 100 points this year and they'll just say '**** the irish requirement'.

Irish isn't specified as being required at Trinity anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I never thought about the points going up...I really need the points to go down for my course psychology in UCD because I doubt I got 495 but all I can do is pray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

commerce with german went from 255 points to 520 i belive

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Judging by the amount of people with TP as their first choice, me including, its looks likes gonna stay the same as last year or go up:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

toxick wrote: »
    commerce with german went from 255 points to 520 i belive

where and when was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

pathway33 wrote: »
    where and when was that?
    Not in UCD or UCC anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Are you positive it wasn't UCC? I remember commerce and German there going up a huge amount a few years ago - it mightn't be as much as that but I know it was >100 points.

Maybe 100 points but certainly not 250 or so as stated, ill look into it and get back to ya.

Edit:
    ya checked it, only small changes in UCC
    Year Points
    2007 325
    2006 310
    2005 350

http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=361&CSH_ID=18

you can go back further on cao website.

commerce german in UCC

year points
    2001 300
    2002 395

but it came from a base of 425 in 2000 so 'a bit jumpy'!!!

but what about commerce italian in UCC

year points
    1998 AQA (= 140 points)
    1999 430

a jump of 290 points. holy mololy!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

My course went up by about 70 or 80 last year. It was like 220 and it went up but 70 or 80. I was safe enough but I was surprised at how much of a jump there was.

you can go back further on cao website.

commerce german in UCC

year points
    2001 300
    2002 395

but it came from a base of 425 in 2000 so 'a bit jumpy'!!!

but what about commerce italian in UCC

year points
    1998 AQA (= 140 points)
    1999 430

a jump of 290 points. holy mololy!!!!!!!
    Well the german course seems to of leveled off in recent years thankfully, as for the italien course maybe that was the 1st year it was introduced and didnt have any numbers the 1st year and the 2nd year interest jumped.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well the german course seems to of leveled off in recent years thankfully, as for the italien course maybe that was the 1st year it was introduced and didnt have any numbers the 1st year and the 2nd year interest jumped.

that would make sense o huge one. imagine sitting there in 1999 with 400 points in your pocket and then.....no too horrific.....life does imitate art :D

on another note, it was said on rte that this year had the highest ever number of applications to the cao (68,000 I believe), At first I thought this was terrible ness but the more I tihnk about it, it isnt too bad as most of those extra applications would generally be for ''lower'' courses.

on another note, it was said on rte that this year had the highest ever number of applications to the cao (68,000 I believe), At first I thought this was terrible ness but the more I tihnk about it, it isnt too bad as most of those extra applications would generally be for ''lower'' courses.

i'm sure that will be a great comfort to all the people loooking for lower courses :D

holy ssmoly....but theres only 58,000 doin the leaving. where have the other 10,000 come from? they didnt just fall out of the sky

this is very serious.........i think 68,000 deserves a thread of its own and you're the man to start it o huge one....i think we all nneed to be psychologically prepared for 9 days 10 hours and 34 minnutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Really, you only need to prepare for two possibilities:

1: You get what you want. Happy days!
    2: You don't get what you want. What do you do now? Accept anyway? Repeat? Other route?

That's all you need to worry about really. You could spend ages trying to guess what'll happen by looking at statistics and stuff, but at the end of the day, you don't really know. It'll be a tiring exercise and will probably stress you out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The exact news none of us wanted, right at the start of the 6:1.

Like a cow in a slaughterhouse now, god!

Anyone know roughly speaking whats the average amount of points people take from the LC? I know plenty of lads who filled it out but realistically won't walk in the doors of a college on the back of their eh......study levels.

PrivateEye wrote: »

Anyone know roughly speaking whats the average amount of points people take from the LC? I know plenty of lads who filled it out but realistically won't walk in the doors of a college on the back of their eh......study levels.

Don't know about the average but www.cao.ie give statistics for how many got from 600 down to less than 100 for the past 12 years. On the left Click 'points' on cao page. Next page click dropdown list 'leaving certificate points statistics'

i'm sure that will be a great comfort to all the people loooking for lower courses :D

holy ssmoly....but theres only 58,000 doin the leaving. where have the other 10,000 come from? they didnt just fall out of the sky

this is very serious.........i think 68,000 deserves a thread of its own and you're the man to start it o huge one....i think we all nneed to be psychologically prepared for 9 days 10 hours and 34 minnutes
    Well ya know a lot of mature students and the likes. I heard Fetac mentioned aswel though I'm not entirely sure what that is, maybe foreign students?

But I have to agree with PurpleFistMixer just be prepared for those 2 possibilities and well there's not much else you can do.

Oh and pathway why do you keep calling me ''o huge one''? Though it is better than the terrible nickname I chose... maybe it'll catch on :D

Well ya know a lot of mature students and the likes. I heard Fetac mentioned aswel though I'm not entirely sure what that is, maybe foreign students?

But I have to agree with PurpleFistMixer just be prepared for those 2 possibilities and well there's not much else you can do.

Oh and pathway why do you keep calling me ''o huge one''? Though it is better than the terrible nickname I chose... maybe it'll catch on :D

re: 'o huge one' - have you not seen the limerick full-forwards? huge
    limerick for the all-irelands

re fetac.....dunnno

Foreign
    Europeans
    Tripping
    And
    Cao-ing

PrivateEye wrote: »

the most popular bracket based on 50 point brackets is 350 points to 399. its been the same for the last 13 years!!!!!!!

re: 'o huge one' - have you not seen the limerick full-forwards? huge
    limerick for the all-irelands
    Nicely put, well that settles that then.
    the most popular bracket based on 50 point brackets is 350 points to 399. its been the same for the last 13 years!!!!!!!

And id say that most courses are withing that bracket aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

WHY WHY can't we all just go to college..i promise I'll study..burn the midnight oil even :D Gosh I hope geography and sociology in trinity doesn't jump up past 450...people anyway we will all get something :) all this stress..up at 11 on a saturday morning :confused: its not natural :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Well..my course is new,so I can't gauge changes in points..but it only has 5 places!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

tribulus wrote: »
    150 is certainly possible but very very unlikely.

Is there a way to check up previous points needed for courses?

I know a physics course in TCD (can't remember the full name) jumped about 70 points in 2004.

My own course (Science in UCD) jumped I think 45 points in that year too.

Theoretical Physics in TCD is very volatile in terms of points, and regularly varies by 100 plus points, seems to have settled down recently around 500 mark.

Advertisement