Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao points jump

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Ugh, lads this is my 2nd time doing this CAO crap...this time last year i was sitting guessing at points too....really didnt think id be doing it again this year!!

Praying for Irish/History in Trinity to stay put this year....please please please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 x-xLouisex-x

commerce international with german in nuig went from 375 in 2005 to 235 in 2006 to 425 in 2007 im really worried it will go up again as theres only 15 places :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

The average course fluctuates 10 points a year, either way, which is a bloody good thing cos i got 390 the year i did mine, my course was 400, and i dropped to exactly 390!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

ya its normal between 5-15 either way..the course i wanted was 455 in 2006,i got 460 last year...it then jumped to 465! was gutted but it was the best thing that ever happened to me..so everything really does happen for a reason guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Now thinking of going into medicine and automaticly thought that a doctor would be a brilliant job to have, naive young soul that I am, so I decided to look it up, even though Im still awaiting my Junior Cert results, and anyway I thougt somewhere local would be the best so Im thinking of UCC.
    So on this big calander my brother brought home from there one day I decided to look for "Doctor".
    Not far did I have to look before my future ambitions were torn apart, stood on, stepped on and harshly buried under a thousand broken dreams when it came to be that the doctor course at this particular college was 580 points.
    Now be being a "not bad" student at the best of times this seemed impossile for me at the time but that anger soon turned to anger at the amount of points one has to get to do this course...
    This is a stupid amount of points for a course, in fact, the highest amount of points got in our school was 580 and the girl got a scholorship for it also...
    I have alternatives though, going into Transition Year now and have two main careers in mind, Financing and Medical to give the catagories...
    Looking forward to TY and hoping it will prepare me for the Junor Cert.
    Also to finish this novel, I will congratulate all Leaving Cert students, tres bonne =]
    Dont celebrate too hard :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

Hahaha thats like telling them not too breath....impossible and stupid :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

At least someone shares my point of view, a petition I reckong towards them and the extortional amounts of points needed to access particular courses!! >=]

At least someone shares my point of view, a petition I reckong towards them and the extortional amounts of points needed to access particular courses!! >=]

Points are influenced by supply & demand, so it's not people setting arbitrary point levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hm doesn anybody have any ideas about Actuary and Financial studies in UCD? Any of you applying there? I wonder if the points will go up this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

it is unusual but it does happen - cao points are all about demand and it can happen that demeand for a couse increases/decreases - it happened to me (the points went up on me by over 100 points & had to wait for the 3rd round to get the couse i wanted - i was signed up to repeat when i got the acceptance) BUT its very very rare & i wouldnt be beating myself up worrieng about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I got 340 and am hoping to do arts in UCD but last year it was 345, do you think there is a possibility that it will drop or is it more likely to go up?

Of course there's a possibility. There's also a possibility that someday I'll be dictator of the world. You're asking a question that no-one anywhere can answer with authority, so the only thing (as tough as it is) is to wait and get up early on Monday morning.

By the by, know any countries that need some oppression saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Im in the exact same position thatone it sucks I know.

Some colleges can keep the points for certain courses artificailly high by reducing the places availible, by 5 lets say, each year. My friend's dad is a lecturer at a certain cough-is-for-winners college and the amount of students in his class would change depending on the points of the previous year. It's a silly prestige thing. I'm sure it;s rare enough though *trying not to scare people*

Advertisement