Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Dog Breed????

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We're thinking about getting a Beagle pup, and we have a 1 yr old daughter, have been looking at a few review sites and they conflict with each other, does anyone have any experience of beagles and kids or recommend a breed that would suit?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

I cant see anything wrong with beagles as they are lovely dogs.
    They are not bad dog breed if you know what i mean.
    I dont want to put you off on another breed of dog here as labradors are a lovely breed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

blaze1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

We're thinking about getting a Beagle pup, and we have a 1 yr old daughter, have been looking at a few review sites and they conflict with each other, does anyone have any experience of beagles and kids or recommend a breed that would suit?

Beagles are a working dog and need a lot to entertain them as well as walks so be sure you have the time required to do so or you will find you are left with a very distructive dog on your hands.

Most breaths are quiet safe and a young one should be thought not to nip or chow on the baby as they teethed just like your 1yrs old at about 3 months old thats when the chowing of every thing starts.

So you will have to invest in a lot of toys and things to entertain him so he doesn't chow your shoe's.

I love beagles and am on the look out for one in the rescue centre's but mine will become a working dog at about 11/2 yrs and until then I know my hands will be full to keep him entertained and training for his working life .

You could try a cross breed that looks like the beagle but bred with a much easier going breed. There are a lot of cross collie/labs in most shelters and these breeds are brilliant with kids as well as other crosses a full breed all ways come with demands IE they are working dogs and need lots to entertain them when kept as pets but cross breeds can be cheeky but calm because of the cross breeding and seem to make easier companions as they don't feel as driven to work of energy all the time.

It would be worth contacting a few pounds and shelters to see what they recommend. I got a GS/collie from one and she was great with kids and tuck over six new born pups when mammy couldn't coupe with them when she was only six months and the pups did great under her care she was such a sweet natured dog and everyone loved her but she did grow to to nearly six feet standing on her hind legs but she was so gentle. I've had a few cross breeds that have grown up around my kids and all were great, at the moment the rough collie just keeps going and going and lives up to it's working breed name. But I also have a grey hound who loves babies and kids they only need a sofa and lots of hugs and are very tolerant of children getting a young one from a shelter would be perfect for a young child to grow up with their are lots just dying to show you how good they are and lots of pups to choose from as well.

Good luck in your choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Any dog will be a good family pet if it is trained & socialized properly.

some especially happy-go-lucky breeds though would be staffies, they are known as "nanny dogs" because they are so good with kids. they are very playful and friendly. another quiet breed are greyhounds, there are masses of them looking for homes and they are always very good-tempered and well socialized (due to their racing backgrounds)

you shouldn't get a puppy unless there is somebody at home all/most of the day to look after it, you'll need an older dog. You don't necessarily need a puppy to get it to be a friendly pet, most adult dogs are softies are wouldn't harm anybody even if they haven't had a great background. a lot of gundog breeds are also naturally very gentle tempered (setters, spaniels etc.)

also, depending on what type of dog you get, make sure you have 30 mins - 2 hours spare each day for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

thanks for the posts, very re-assuring!!!

have to start looking around now would sooner go to a shelter, so wish me luck!!

Thanks

Blaze1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Beagles are great a friend of mine has a beagle. What blackcat said is true they need alot of work and simulation. My friends dog once he hits a scent which is quite often he would start making noises. (Its a beagle trait so i believe), she is excercising (courtesy of inline blades) him more now and that he is not doing it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Though this will probably shock you, Staffie's (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) are the nicest dog you'll find, hence the 'nanny dog' nickname. I've got a young one (1.5 years) and he couldn't be friendlier, especially with kids. In saying that, I don't have any kids of my own, but Staffie's are known for their kindness and gentleness around all people, but kids especially. They're best to get from a young age and have them grow up with your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

My friend has a Beagle and she is a lovely dog, her only fault, well its not a fault just cant think of a better word, is that she is not a barker but a howler. Appariently this is the noise they all make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

blaze1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

i've had beagle x harriers(basically big beagle) they are very gentle with kids,very. BUT they need plenty of exercise(work) and can be destructive in the garden.
    i bred a litter of beaglexharrier pups last year and they went through my garden like a swarm of cuddly locists. they'll eat and dig up the garden.
    if you do go for a beagle make sure its not off working stock cos it will need plenty of work/exercise. go for one from a long line of show/pet breeding and you'll be fine i'd say. as far as being good with kids they are gentle as you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I would agree with Kerrygold that "Any dog will be a good family pet if it is trained & socialized properly".

I would also second the vote for the staffie...we had one years ago, she came from a brutal background (fighting), but in all the 10+ years we had her she was the friendliest most timid dog you could meet, excellent with all the kids on the road.

One point to mention, that is usually made in all books and websites and you will probably come across, is that no child should ever be left alone with a dog, no matter how friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

Staffies aren't always the best to get as a rescue - as their past sometimes is too much to bear, but same can be said for a lot of rescues, so just be wary, and take time off to help them adjust in your home. beagles bark A LOT - it's their job to, to tell you that someone/thing is there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 imom922

I have mastiffs they are great with kids only thing bit big even a bang of a tail send little people flying. My sister has a collie as in lassie its fantastic with kids takes some amount of general harassment from them a 3yr old and 7yr old twins, it goes nut in the morning when they arrive down, cant stand being away from them, she got him in the shelter on stocking lane loads of great pups there. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Let's look at this the other way round.

No matter what breed of dog you get, it will turn out to be a desaster unless you are fully prepared for the fact that you will now have two toddlers on your hands that will require equal amounts of attention and training and also constant and permanent supervision ...especially when they are together.

Don't under-estimate the task at hand or the work and time involved and you'll be grand ...and so will be the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I'd say don't go for any breed just because you like the looks of that particular breed.

Beagles are a lovely looking dog, but just reading through various sites they do seem to bring a fair share of problems too, although aggression not being one of them. But they do seem like moderate to high maintance dogs.

I'm biased towards the Staffordshire Bull Terrier too. Fantastic with children, extremly friendly and lots of other nice things. But they do carry the stigma of being labelled a 'dangerous dog', and are often mistaken by the ignorant as Pit Bulls (which are great dogs too).

So owning a Staffie (at least in a city) you'll always be prepared to keep it muzzled, on a lead etc etc etc.. Its a pain and very frustrating.

Another idea for you OP is to foster a dog through one of the pounds.

You'll find lots up for fostering on Petsireland@invisionzone.com

The beauty of short term fostering is you'll be taking a dog out of the pound, where it should then never return. Thereby saving it from being killed when its stay is up.

For you OP it mean's that you get to 'test drive' various breeds, see which one suits you and you'll get a taste of the commitment required with dog ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Mairt wrote: »
    Well I'd say don't go for any breed just because you like the looks of that particular breed.

Beagles are a lovely looking dog, but just reading through various sites they do seem to bring a fair share of problems too, although aggression not being one of them. But they do seem like moderate to high maintance dogs.

I'm biased towards the Staffordshire Bull Terrier too. Fantastic with children, extremly friendly and lots of other nice things. But they do carry the stigma of being labelled a 'dangerous dog', and are often mistaken by the ignorant as Pit Bulls (which are great dogs too).

So owning a Staffie (at least in a city) you'll always be prepared to keep it muzzled, on a lead etc etc etc.. Its a pain and very frustrating.

Another idea for you OP is to foster a dog through one of the pounds.

You'll find lots up for fostering on Petsireland@invisionzone.com

The beauty of short term fostering is you'll be taking a dog out of the pound, where it should then never return. Thereby saving it from being killed when its stay is up.

For you OP it mean's that you get to 'test drive' various breeds, see which one suits you and you'll get a taste of the commitment required with dog ownership.

I think thats a brillant idea for the OP,hope they seriously consider it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shazba

from my experiences with dogs i would have to recomend the cavalier king charles with children although i must say that all children should be supervised at all times with any dog... king charles are not great with cars;)

Advertisement