Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get two upc subscriptions in the one house?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

My house mate and I are thinking of signing up to UPC's new offer of 20mb cable broadband. I have a 3mb eircom sub (hoping for the big upgrade this weekend!!). Given the better speeds on offer, I am hoping to migrate to UPC's service now. Both my house mate and I are heavy users so we were hoping to get two entirely separate subscriptions for the one house. Is this possible? We live in Ranelagh so UPC is easily available in the locality.

I appreciate any help with this.

Face....

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi all,

My house mate and I are thinking of signing up to UPC's new offer of 20mb cable broadband. I have a 3mb eircom sub (hoping for the big upgrade this weekend!!). Given the better speeds on offer, I am hoping to migrate to UPC's service now. Both my house mate and I are heavy users so we were hoping to get two entirely separate subscriptions for the one house. Is this possible? We live in Ranelagh so UPC is easily available in the locality.

I appreciate any help with this.

Face....

You'd need two separate modems, since they're only allowed onto the UPC network and provisioned based on their MAC addresses. So you'd need to register each at UPC capable addresses. I'm sure it wouldn't last long if you're both running two 20 meg connections and killing the bandwidth on an already fairly well contended network.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If they are provisioned correctly then they will be on seperate frequencies and both will get 20mb speeds. Years ago I worked in an office with 3 Chorus cable modems on the same cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

it 20mb share that

its enough for two people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

em if any house needs two 20mb connections.
    You would do better with a leased line lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

em if any house needs two 20mb connections.
    You would do better with a leased line lol

It would still prob be cheaper to get two 20mb connections and just use a load balancing router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Just share one 20Meg connection and don't be silly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As others have said, just get one 20mb connection and try it out for a month.

If you find that isn't enough, then sure, get a second. However I'm fairly certain that you will find 20mb to be enough.

Advertisement