Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin N Wireless Router - comments

Options
  • 07-08-2008 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience with this Belkin N Wireless Router?

http://www.dabs4work.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YT2

Wondering if the 300meg N mode is all it's cracked up to be. Whatever I get will need to be able to deliver a decent strength connection through perhaps 3 or 4 walls [not concrete I believe].

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ive got the model up from that and its got no problem getting to my Garage which my old Netgear rangemax couldnt do it even managed to get rid of a dead spot i had with the rangemax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have to set it to work at b/g mode or did the router decide the best channel for you? Assuming your laptop/whatever isn't natively n channel compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ive got a server 3 Laptops and 2 pcs on it all of them except one is b/g and the other is a/b/g/n i just set the router to auto and it sorted everything itself they are really easy to setup just make sure you set it to wpa security and not wep and u should be fine they are simple to configure too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Always remember it is notoriously difficult to predict the performance of wireless equipmenet in any particular situation.

Also to get any benefits of the 'n' standard all the equipment will have to be'n'.

If you have 'g' or 'b' as a mixture it gets dragged down to the lowest standard on the network so you will lost the benefits of the 'n' standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Bought this wireless router about 2 months ago.
    The setup was simple, plenty of options for security etc on the router settings page. I didn't use the supplied CD for the installation, just plugged her in and 30 seconds later my laptops were picking up the signal.

The house I am in does not have concrete walls betweeen floor rooms, so I have perfect reception all over the gaff.

However a few of the neighbours have said they noticed the new network going up. Some of them are up to 50 yards away from our gaff and they are getting a decent signal.

Apart from about 3 reboots of it when it lost connectivity to the internet, I've had no haslle with it. Recommendation here anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes its amazing how far some wireless signals will travel. I live in a terrace house and I can pick up the wireless network from a bt router quite strongly from two houses away and it comes through several brick walls.

When I am out in the back garden with a laptop I can pick up an Eircom network from about 100 yards away across the camac river!

Also if you have an ipod touch (or similar) its amazing to see how many networks you can pick up on a bus trip into town!

Advertisement