Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing paint from steel?.

Options
  • 07-08-2008 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭

hi am trying to remove a plastic like black paint from steel sections,have done the old elbow grease with scraper,wire brush and hammer but its slow as hell.

also tryed one of those wire brush heads you put on a drill but it became very hard and clogged after awhile.

anyone good any good idea to removing this plastic coated paint?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nitromors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

It could be powder coating. Try wet sand blasting or just high pressure steam from an industrial pressure washer. If it's indoors, then paint stripper and lots of elbow grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

If it's outdoors, you could always try a blow torch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bassy

its outdoors and when i hit it with the hammer as in tapping it comes off easy enough,some times cracks in pieces.but its to slow a process that way and damn noisey.

can you hire a sandblaster?,would a good powerwasher with 2500-3000 psi power remove it?.

also any idea on the paint i should use when all stripped?,was gonna go with redlead then hammerite for the finish coat.

but been told redlead is no longer available,how about red oxide and hammerite for finish coat?.

rang my local hardware store and asked them about hiring a powerwasher,i mentioned i was looking for one with 2500-3000 psi and ball bearing head.but the sais all the have are 13 horsepower heavey duty power washers.

wonder would there powerwasher remove the paint from the steel?.

• Advertisement

wondering should i go for the blowtorch or powerwasher?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ask if your local hire shop has a compressor and a needle scaling gun.
    These are awesome for removing rust and paint from uneven surfaces.
    I would use Triflow rather than hammerite, doesn't need special thinners and is better finish IMO.
    Triflow primer + triflow Top coat= good finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'd be hesitant to ue a blow torch as it could seriously impact the strength of the steel.

It'd be well worth trying Nitromors as CJhaughey mentioned. It's seriously noxious stuff, but it'll burn the paint right off.

ok what size can does Nitromors come in?,as i have quite a bit of paint to remove.

also is it a liquid or is it a paste on job?.i persume i just use a scraper afterwards to remove the paint?.

bassy wrote: »
    ok what size can does Nitromors come in?,as i have quite a bit of paint to remove.

also is it a liquid or is it a paste on job?.i persume i just use a scraper afterwards to remove the paint?.
    It comes in small tins of a few hundred mls up to big yokes. Probably best to by a small one to test first just in case it doesn't work or whatever. Yea a scraper will take it off then.

The green one is probably what you're looking for.

Wear gloves and goggles. Cover up all your skin (including face as much as possible). Work outside. The stuff is fairly strong and will burn.

/edit:
    Big container
    NitromorsGreen.jpg

Small container:
    pvremovers.jpg
    and there's sizes in between as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement

got 7 of these section to do,i already done 2 sections the hard way with tapping a hammer on it and wirebrush,scraper and drill with brush attachment,bloody torture.

secondsection.jpg?t=1218240156

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

got 7 of these section to do,i already done 2 sections the hard way with tapping a hammer on it and wirebrush,scraper and drill with brush attachment,bloody torture.

secondsection.jpg?t=1218240156
    You are wasting your time mate. Get Nitromors. Seriously.

lads just got a small 500ml can of nitromors (the green can) all purpose paint remover.
    will let you know how i get on with it,only got the small 500ml can to try out and see if it will do the job first,before jumping for the big can of it.

lads just got a small 500ml can of nitromors (the green can) all purpose paint remover.
    will let you know how i get on with it,only got the small 500ml can to try out and see if it will do the job first,before jumping for the big can of it.

You want to stick it on nice and thick and let it sit a while.

You'll know it's working if the paint starts to bubble off.

hey lads anyone recommend a good primer + finish for this?,as it will be along long time before it ever see,s paint again,thanks.

going with triflo primer and triflo top coat finish,i have 4 sections done.
    5 more to go :rolleyes:

going with triflo primer and triflo top coat finish,i have 4 sections done.
    5 more to go :rolleyes:

Is the nitromors working ok for ya?

hi sean ye its working,but i gotta get a new can of it,cause all the small can went on 1 section.
    it bubbles up the paint,i use a good sharp wood chisel and it slides the paint of the steel,i then run a wire brush head on the stripped steel to clean it better,and it looks good.

i was using a scraper,but found it not as good as a sharp wood chisel.
    i have 4 sections clean now,so i got to prime them with triflo primer.
    as i have noticed with the sections when there cleaned and left for a few days the develope surface rust from rain etc.

also yesterday i put some petrol on one part and lit it,then i came along with the wood chisel and it lifted off in big patchs of paint.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Is the nitromors working ok for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I hope you're neutralising the nitromors before you apply any fresh coatings...

will a rub down of white spirits neutralise the nitromors?,before applying the triflo primer?.

this the one i used and says its water washable here http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=127947

Wertz wrote: »
    I hope you're neutralising the nitromors before you apply any fresh coatings...

• Advertisement

Depends on the can colour, green one is water washable, yellow is with spirits ( or is it the other way round? says on the can anyhow). Shouldn't really matter on steel, it'd be on more porous surfaces where it could really react with paint, but after putting the effort in to strip it, better safe than sorry...

hi wertz its the green can of nitromors i used,and i chucked the can off in the bin:rolleyes:

Depends on the can colour, green one is water washable, yellow is with spirits ( or is it the other way round? says on the can anyhow). Shouldn't really matter on steel, it'd be on more porous surfaces where it could really react with paint, but after putting the effort in to strip it, better safe than sorry...

I think that's the water washable one. Put some wash up liquid in the water too.

will do,cheers wert.

will get some pics up when i prime them.
    I think that's the water washable one. Put some wash up liquid in the water too.

just managed to get this section primed with triflow primer,must say it does look a lot better,but theres a hell of a lot of stripping gone in to it.
    am going to use triflow top coat as the finish.what you all think?.

towerprimed1.jpg?t=1219268412

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It might be too late for you now but if you're using paint strippers I'd recommend you paint on the stuff good and thick, then cover the treated areas with cling film or bin liners- it stops the stripper evaporating too quickly and you'll find that you get more value out of a can. For the steel you're stripping it might have made a more sense (time and labour wise) to have had it sand blasted in a commercial blasting booth; not sure how much they'd charge but anything would beat that hard work! It's cleaned up well though...

believe me m8 i got a sandblasting quote over the phone and i can tell you it was not pretty,talking almost 200 euros a section and i got 9 sections = 1800 euros.i would rather use a tooth brush on it that part with that kind of crazy money,do peeps know theres a so called resession on :)

It might be too late for you now but if you're using paint strippers I'd recommend you paint on the stuff good and thick, then cover the treated areas with cling film or bin liners- it stops the stripper evaporating too quickly and you'll find that you get more value out of a can. For the steel you're stripping it might have made a more sense (time and labour wise) to have had it sand blasted in a commercial blasting booth; not sure how much they'd charge but anything would beat that hard work! It's cleaned up well though...

Fair enough, I wouldn't stomach a quote like that myself! Not being nosey ;) but what is it anyway, looks like some sort of crane boom?

its a tower for radio antennas m8,but ye i think it originated from a building site.

Fair enough, I wouldn't stomach a quote like that myself! Not being nosey ;) but what is it anyway, looks like some sort of crane boom?

• Advertisement

its a tower for radio antennas m8,but ye i think it originated from a building site.

It won't blow down anyway, good luck with it!

Advertisement