Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying to be on a compilation

Options
  • 07-08-2008 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever get any benefit from something like this? I have been approached on a few occasions now (most recent was last week) by small independent labels putting out compilations. They basically charge you (I have seen it go between 300euro to a grand) to be on a compilation that they send out to their 'contacts' (usually DJs,radio stations and clubs) and they usually send you cd and vinyl copies (again the number of copies vary) to do with what you like. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever gone ahead and done it and gotten anything out of it?
    Obviously the first instinct is this is a scam but a couple of the labels that approached me are legit.I'm just wondering if it's ever been worth the outlay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

If it works out cheaper that getting the same amount printed you yourself maybe. Otherwise it sounds like vanity press to me...

At the cheapest level... €300 for each, say 12 artists is €3,600 roughly €1,600 to get a decent job done in the printing packaging etc. That leaves €2,000 on PR!!

Most PR co.s will charge between 3 and 7 grand to cover a release, even if they do it themselves they are going to run out of a advertising budget very quickly.

When you say the companies are legit, what exactly does that mean?

And what do you hope to get from this? Sales? Gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

There's an old adage about anyone who approaches you looking for money to promote your music.
    Something along the lines of "if they like it enough, they'll offer to put their own money up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Anybody ever get any benefit from something like this? I have been approached on a few occasions now (most recent was last week) by small independent labels putting out compilations. They basically charge you (I have seen it go between 300euro to a grand) to be on a compilation that they send out to their 'contacts' (usually DJs,radio stations and clubs) and they usually send you cd and vinyl copies (again the number of copies vary) to do with what you like. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever gone ahead and done it and gotten anything out of it?
    Obviously the first instinct is this is a scam but a couple of the labels that approached me are legit.I'm just wondering if it's ever been worth the outlay.
    If it's from a UKcompany called "The White" (or similar scam) then run a mile. Don't take their calls and bin all their letters. Trouble with a capital T :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Savman wrote: »
    If it's from a UKcompany called "The White" (or similar scam) then run a mile. Don't take their calls and bin all their letters. Trouble with a capital T :mad:
    Wow, can you tell us more? Sounds juicy.
    The few I've had have been from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

This is a scam. Regardless of who the company is. It's not even ethical. It's NOT a record company if this is their business model. As has been said, you're better off spending the money on releasing it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i dont know what genre you're working in but i can tell you as a label owner (techno) that i've NEVER asked an artist for money to release anything.

mastering, plant production, artwork, distro, promotion.. everything is at the cost of the label.

if they're asking you for money its either a scam or a very small label that hasnt got the funds (so you have to ask will they really offer you the promotion that you've paid for).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    Most PR co.s will charge between 3 and 7 grand to cover a release,

An intereresting point.

How come a lot of bands are prepared to pay that - but wouldn't spend 1.5 grand on recording a song? Huh?

I know 2 midland bands who've done that - trying to promote a substandard 'product', what's the fecks da point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

From what I've heard from people in the know, it's one of the oldest scams going.

Advertisement