Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brett Favre traded to NY Jets

• 07-08-2008 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay officially came to an end late Wednesday night as the legendary longtime Packers quarterback was traded to the New York Jets, the Packers announced.

The exact compensation wasn't immediately available, but it is believed to be a fourth-round draft pick that increases in value depending on how the Jets perform in the 2008 season.

According to the NFL Network, if Favre takes 50 percent of total snaps with the Jets in 2008, the fourth-rounder becomes a third-round pick. If he gets 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets make the playoffs, it becomes a second-round pick; and if he gets 80 percent of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first-round pick............ etc

two months in the US this summer listening to this story progress.. did not see the Jets as the answer...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Will be an interesting adjustment for the recievers. Favre throws much harder than Pennington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

about time, this story was getting too drawn out.

Pennington to be traded or released by the weekend, i expect him to end up with the Vikings now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 slugger145

I think the Jets could get to the playoffs this year with Favre on board. Him linking up with laveranues coles and jerricho cotchery, then thomas jones backed by leon washington, thats a decent offense. And their defence is strong too. What does everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't see them getting to the play offs just because of the sheer strength of the divison they're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Their offence will live and die by the performance of their tackles, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Damian woody (who's moved from guard). The defence will be dependent on Kris Jenkins converting well to nose, Vernon Gholston is having a hard time adapting so far apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can't see them getting to the play offs just because of the sheer strength of the divison they're in.

Is the AFC East not consided the weakest in the league?

It'll be intersting to see how he does. I'd like to see him make a play-off, even if just to prove some of the doubters wrong. He received waaay to much criticism for a guy who simply changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Packers Vs Jets Superbowl! You read it here first.

/Rodgers to prove Thompson right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

The Packers have a better group of receivers and TE's than the Nyets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lirange wrote: »

The Jets have a better QB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

davyjose wrote: »
    Is the AFC East not consided the weakest in the league?

It'll be intersting to see how he does. I'd like to see him make a play-off, even if just to prove some of the doubters wrong. He received waaay to much criticism for a guy who simply changed his mind.

lol, no.

As a Jets fan I'm disappointed with this trade. I don't see Favre adjusting very well to a completely new situation this late in the offseason. I would expect him to have a significant dropoff from his numbers last year and to retire for good at the end of the season. Where are we then? We have just released a man who exuded class on and off the field and gave his heart and soul to our team for the past eight years. I would rather go 7 - 9 with Pennington giving us everything he has got for the greater good of the team than with a faded ego with no affinity to our franchise at the helm.

And this doesn't put us anywhere near the Patriots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Lirange wrote: »
    davyjose wrote: »
    The Jets have a better QB

He'll retire before the bye week. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wonder how many former Favre fans have are now hoping to see him fail? Maybe I'm alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I don't want to see him fail.

I'm disappointed though ,that he did not see the big picture, and go out as true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, no.

As a Jets fan I'm disappointed with this trade. I don't see Favre adjusting very well to a completely new situation this late in the offseason. I would expect him to have a significant dropoff from his numbers last year and to retire for good at the end of the season. Where are we then? We have just released a man who exuded class on and off the field and gave his heart and soul to our team for the past eight years. I would rather go 7 - 9 with Pennington giving us everything he has got for the greater good of the team than with a faded ego with no affinity to our franchise at the helm.

And this doesn't put us anywhere near the Patriots.

This smacks of desperation by the Jets, they have signed Favre and paying him a huge salary in the hope he replicates last seasons' form, but the Jets wide receivers don't compare with the Packers and overall the Jets aren't strong enough to mount a serious playoff push especially in a conference that also includes the Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Jaguars, Steelers etc. Then to compound the mistake they let Pennington go and he signs with the Dolphins. Now nobody pretends that the Dolphins are great, but they have made some strides and Pennington is still relatively young and so, will grow with the team, while if things go badly for Favre in NY, he will retire next January and the Jets are stuck for a QB again.

If the Jets were loaded all over the field and just needed a QB to complete a playoff team then it would be understandable, right now it looks like the sort of publicity stunt that Al Davis would be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Once you retire never go back. It's never the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

Brett says he isn't a traitor and that its just business.

Tell that to the millions of fans who thought you were a real dude, finally...someone in sports that we could actually look up to who was dedicated to someTHING or SOMEONE.

I guess those days are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Brett says he isn't a traitor and that its just business.

Tell that to the millions of fans who thought you were a real dude, finally...someone in sports that we could actually look up to who was dedicated to someTHING or SOMEONE.

I guess those days are gone.

It was the Packers that turned on Favre. The Packers didn't really want him back and Favre didn't wanna unsettle the team by having a competition for Quarterback.

Can't see how you blame he was put a difficult situation (maybe mostly brought on by himself) but the franchise didn't really want him back for another year so he felt unwanted apparently (he seems a bit sensitive) and felt he had been forced into retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

slugger145 wrote: »
    I think the Jets could get to the playoffs this year with Favre on board. Him linking up with laveranues coles and jerricho cotchery, then thomas jones backed by leon washington, thats a decent offense. And their defence is strong too. What does everyone else think?
    SantryRed wrote: »

Can't really see them getting to the playoffs really.

How strong is NY Jets' offensive line, I could see Favre getting beat up very easily and he ain't getting any younger so theres a good chance he might not even get through the season.

They probably should be able to finish second in the AFC east but whether they'll get the berth to qualify I ain't so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Can't see how you blame he was put a difficult situation (maybe mostly brought on by himself)

Ummmmmm, that's EXACTLY why many blame him.

He retired. He unretired. That's the problem. Apparently he wanted a big hug and to be told that the world revolved around him and clearly he didn't get that.

Favre was a legend, but he's history to the Packers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

How strong is NY Jets' offensive line, I could see Favre getting beat up very easily and he ain't getting any younger so theres a good chance he might not even get through the season.

Well the Jets have 4 first round picks on their o-line. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, and they picked up Alan Fannica(from steelers) and Damien Woody(lions) in FA. So on paper they have an animal o-line. WR is possibly where they will struggle as apparently Farve needs to trust them and they dont look like they have a whole lot of depth. I did see on Total Access some new WR who looked the business in their pre-season so maybe they'll be okay there. Thomas Jones was brilliant for da Bears at running back but might be a little old at this stage, that would be another concern.

themont85 wrote: »
    Well the Jets have 4 first round picks on their o-line. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, and they picked up Alan Fannica(from steelers) and Damien Woody(lions) in FA. So on paper they have an animal o-line. WR is possibly where they will struggle as apparently Farve needs to trust them and they dont look like they have a whole lot of depth. I did see on Total Access some new WR who looked the business in their pre-season so maybe they'll be okay there. Thomas Jones was brilliant for da Bears at running back but might be a little old at this stage, that would be another concern.
    Laverneus Coles and Cottechery may not be the BEST tandem in the league, but they are very, very solid and competitive athletes who find ways to make themselves a target. Plus:

- Our 1st round pick of Dustin Keller gives Favre an athletic target at tight end;
    - Leon Washington is a great option to throw too in the backfield;
    - We've upgraded so significantly on the O line and at Fullback (Richardson is a ****ing beast) that we should be able to run the ball - which helps all of the above;

I don't see the problem so much as the on paper quality Favre will have to work with - rather it's a case of whether of the new players will gel. AND whether he will get near his level of last year given reduced preparation / very different system etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All I have to say on the matter is that I hate to see Brett Favre sign for the Jets. We don't need that sort of competition in the AFC east. You just don't want to go up against this man twice in one season. And now I have to hate him as well and I always liked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

it seems a little far fetched to me maybe, but a mate of mine was just across the pond and has come back with news that Jets fans are raving about some new young QB? just got this info so havent done any research yet, and that the team (Jets) wont be starting Favre and will be using him as a mentor and kind of morale builder for the team from the sidelines

it seems a little unrealistic to me but stranger things have happened

i also think my mate may have been getting confused with why the packers didnt really want him back and why he choose to leave.....she is a woman :(;)

i.e. she may have the packers and the jets confused if ya get me

kryogen wrote: »
    it seems a little far fetched to me maybe, but a mate of mine was just across the pond and has come back with news that Jets fans are raving about some new young QB? just got this info so havent done any research yet, and that the team (Jets) wont be starting Favre and will be using him as a mentor and kind of morale builder for the team from the sidelines

it seems a little unrealistic to me but stranger things have happened

i also think my mate may have been getting confused with why the packers didnt really want him back and why he choose to leave.....she is a woman :(;)

i.e. she may have the packers and the jets confused if ya get me
    Well there are plenty of fans who like Kellon Clemons - but I think that was more a case of bigging him up as an alternative to Pennington because he has a big arm (and Pennington doesn't). Clemons looked unimpressive in his games last year - capable of good throws but prone to bad decisions and displaying an inability to read and react to complex coverage schemes / blitz attacks. That may come in time of course - but I remember Pennington being able to come in after a couple of seasons clipboarding and move the chains competently.

A bit rambly but, yeah - I reckon your friend might have been a bit behind and mistaken Clemons for Rodgers - as much of the talk back in July was about whether Favre could be a number 2.

As an aside, I think the talk over Rodgers and Clemons is an interesting aspect to the whole saga - should we expect QBs to be able to come in and be the man after they have clipboarded for 2 - 3 years? My feelings would be that either:

- you play the man right away and he gets it through trial and error after 2 years starting;
    - you bench the man and he is able to come in after 2 - 3 seasons practice and observation and be able to put up decent numbers when he finally gets his run;

I mean, a lot of the analysis and discussion of the Jets situation before Favre came in was retarded imo - Pennington gets a QB rating of over 80 last year despite piss poor protection and no running game - then Clemons is below competent when he comes in for the latter half but thats ok and we should still start him this year because he is young and can throw the deep ball, wtf?

I mean I don't think Smith at San Francisco is ever going to come good now - much as if Brady Quinn sees time late this season or at the start of next season the expectations should be that he is competent from the get go given the time he has sat out.

What do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Probably shoulda stayed retired. Although having said that he probably lead the Jets to the Superbowl. Just to spite me. The Bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johndylan

I spent a day in Green Bay at the end of July and the local's reaction to Favre was fairly indifferent...most of them could see that sooner or later the franchise would have to begin 'life without Brett' and that time might as well be now - and this, remember, is a football dynasty that takes history, very, very seriously. I guess everyone hoped that Brett would just walk off into the sunset and that they could retire his shirt in a beautiful ceremony and add to the mystique of Green Bay. Favre had other ideas however and claimed that all he really wanted to do was play football...but there was just no way that Mike McCarthy could undermine Aaron Rodgers by having Brett come back and compete to start after the coaching staff went out of their way to make sure that everyone understood that they wanted Rodgers as starting QB for the new season.
    If he fails at the Jets it'll be a sad, sad end for a legend...if he has a winning season he can prove himself right and maybe grab one last swansong...I just hope Rodgers gets his act together very, very soon or the Packers/Mike McCarthy are going to feel fairly sheepish.

johndylan wrote: »
    I spent a day in Green Bay at the end of July

Green Bay?

Green Bay?

Oh you mean Titletown?

Packers will go on, as you say it was just a pity really. I presume ManU fans thought Roy Keane upping was the end of an era, but things go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I was thinking today: Madden curse.

They thought they were being clever putting a retired guy on the cover. Then he decides to come back. I give him four games before he finally misses a start.

• Advertisement

Karlusss wrote: »
    I was thinking today: Madden curse.

They thought they were being clever putting a retired guy on the cover. Then he decides to come back. I give him four games before he finally misses a start.

:(:(:(:(:(

Completely forgot about this. Hi 6 - 10 season. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The Jets would in all seriousness be a bit ****ed if Favre ended up with a career-ending injury. Clemens is an okay back-up, and they were ready to go with him before the signing, but they let Pennington go, and more importantly, they've built the whole hope of the team and the city on him being there to make plays and make the Jets not crap.

If the NY papers were giving Eli ****, imagine what they'd be like to Clemens if he had a couple of losses after replacing Favre.

Advertisement