Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumineer veneers

• 07-08-2008 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

anybody know anyhting about these/had them done??

My own dentist is very sceptical; is he right to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

your dentist is a smart guy,

they are easy to market,easy to prepare a tooth for

but difficult to place without them being damaged,hard to keep the gum margain clean and very easy to break in use.
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So should be avoided then??

they just seem so much less invasive than regular veneers, i would need 8 in total though, as have very broad smile.

The enamel on my teeth is not uniform in colour, and my dentist doesnt think the teeth would bleach very well because of this.

I dont really like the idea of conventional veneers as had braces for a long time which cost a lot of cash and effort and my teeth are very well alligned now, so seems a shame to pare them down for regular veneers!

Are these lumineers indeed a ruse and should i just grin and bare the speckledness??

for a lumineer, a dentist is meant to remove nothing or a max or 0.3mm from the tooth. that makes them very hard to fit, easy to break and reduces their ability to mask underlying colour.It can also give them a round bulky look after they have been fitted.

a normal veneer needs about 1mm removed, so not that much really? and they have a very good and long track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BryanL,

For very discoloured teeth where bleaching hasn't had satisfactory results, are standard veneers worth doing (leaving aside cost considerations) and how tough are they on average, ie can most foods be eaten without worry of cracking them or prying them off?
    Would 10 years be a wishful lifetime expectancy, and after that time frame would the teeth need further filing down to fit new veneers?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Depends how much shade change you need to make.A veneer is about 1mm thick, to mask dark colours underneath they sometimes need to be fairly opaque. Which is not always aestheticly pleasing, so that really needs to be assessed, otherwise a full coverage crown may give a better result.
    10-15 years would be about the range of use you'd be looking for, in the absence of grinding,nail biting etc.
    when veneers are replaced you remove the old ones and do everything possible to not remove any further tooth structure, so normally the tooth is not prepared any further
    Bryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Bryan.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement