Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silvia methods

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi all,

i'm just getting used to my Silvia and was wondering what methods people who have them use (in terms of temperature surfing) to get the best shots. At the moment i'm using the reverse temperature surfing method of cycling the boiler and waiting 2 minutes from when the bolier light goes off. however i've had mixed success.
    i've alos tried the other way of cycling the boiler and pouring the shot 35-55 seconds from when the light comes on, also with mixed success.
    i'm curious to know what methods people use.
    Also, anyone who has installed a PID can they tell me is it an easy thing to install and does it make a huge difference in getting consistently good shots.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Did you adjust the OPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

no i haven't done that. you would recommend trying that first? i didn't realise it could be done. I'm not very handy at DIY but i will try anything for want of a better shot.

How new is your Silvia?

AFAIK I know the newer ones have a very easy to adjust OPV (the hard bit is actually getting hold of a pressure gauge - you can borrow mine if you like).

In my experience it's hugely important. It improves the body, the flavour, and it also makes the machine more forgiving to slight discrepancies in tamping and distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

it's only a couple of months old actually.
    That's a very generous offer i may take you up on that. I'll do some reading into it first, it may even say something in the manual.
    i think body is what i may be lacking in my shots at the moment. even in my moka pot, with the right coffee i would get some really syrupy shots which i haven't yet got from the Silvia, although i have yet to try it with really decent coffee.
    Thanks Reactor, i'll let you know how i get on.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pressure Gauge

\0/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    How new is your Silvia?

AFAIK I know the newer ones have a very easy to adjust OPV (the hard bit is actually getting hold of a pressure gauge - you can borrow mine if you like).

In my experience it's hugely important. It improves the body, the flavour, and it also makes the machine more forgiving to slight discrepancies in tamping and distribution.

Amen to that.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pressure Gauge

\0/

:D

You should chronicle it's travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Coffee Machine Clinic (TM)

Advertisement