Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless link two routers???

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Is there a way I can bridge two wireless routers in my house.

I want to put the modem and wireless router upstairs out of the way. EVerything downstairs is wireless bar the xbox and im far to cheap to buy the wireless add-on. :)

I have two Netgear wg602
    a netgear wpn802
    and a Linksys WRT54gs
    at home.

Anyone know how to go about this or if it can even be done?

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It can be done but not with the type of router you had. I can be corrected on this as it's been a while since I've tried to set up a wireless bridge by hacking a router, as far as I'm aware this can only be achieved with customer firmware for Linux based routers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Achilles wrote: »
    It can be done but not with the type of router you had. I can be corrected on this as it's been a while since I've tried to set up a wireless bridge by hacking a router, as far as I'm aware this can only be achieved with customer firmware for Linux based routers.

Installing DD-WRT on the WRT54GS allows for client bridge mode, and can connect to the other AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Spear wrote: »
    Installing DD-WRT on the WRT54GS allows for client bridge mode, and can connect to the other AP.

And i presume I can then find the netgear router upstairs via linksys interface?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

davkav wrote: »
    And i presume I can then find the netgear router upstairs via linksys interface?

Just set it with the SSID and encryption of the wireless network to join.

Okay Im looking at this site here.

I presume theyve made there own custom firmware for the relevant units...

Im totally lost. Dont suppose you wanna do it for me if I give you the 2 routers?

I have a spare netgear wireless router I can give you for your troubles.....

• Advertisement

Okay Im looking at this site here.

I presume theyve made there own custom firmware for the relevant units...

Im totally lost. Dont suppose you wanna do it for me if I give you the 2 routers?

I have a spare netgear wireless router I can give you for your troubles.....

The one you want is under stable -> 24.sp1 -> broadcom -> Linksys, then choose the exact model and revision of the WRT54GS you have.

Once you have the needed .bin image, you can use the Linksys firmware upgrade frontend on the router page to install it.

right ive got this far. The flashing and setting up im familiar with. Didnt realise there was a frontend to this once its on the linksys unit. I thought there be a bit of linux stuff to be doing.

So im here

but i have no idea which file i want.

Its linksys WRT54GS v6.0

right ive got this far. The flashing and setting up im familiar with. Didnt realise there was a frontend to this once its on the linksys unit. I thought there be a bit of linux stuff to be doing.

So im here

but i have no idea which file i want.

Its linksys WRT54GS v6.0

The v6.0 is a little awkward. Read these through carefully first

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Version_5_And_6_Router_Information
    http://www.wrtrouters.com/guides/upgradetolinux/

How typical :( Ill give micro a shot i suppose.

I was looking in the supported devices list on the wiki page and it lists Netgear does this mean that theyve written firmwares for all brands not just linksys.

If thats the case could i not just link 2 netgeart routers one with the ddt firmware? scratch that theyve only 3 or so models of netgear supported.

How typical :( Ill give micro a shot i suppose.

I was looking in the supported devices list on the wiki page and it lists Netgear does this mean that theyve written firmwares for all brands not just linksys.

If thats the case could i not just link 2 netgeart routers one with the ddt firmware? scratch that theyve only 3 or so models of netgear supported.

Despite the name on the front, many routers use a standard board and wifi card platform, something like AR7 for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-AR7

So support for your Netgears is very possible.

• Advertisement

Despite the name on the front, many routers use a standard board and wifi card platform, something like AR7 for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-AR7

So support for your Netgears is very possible.

Legend man., Thanks youve been really helpful.

With the above info im sure to get it up and running. Ill keep you posted

Legend man., Thanks youve been really helpful.

With the above info im sure to get it up and running. Ill keep you posted

Just proceed carefully, it's easy to brick a router, and unbricking can be a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Jesus I never suggested for a second that the user *should* flash his router, better off asking someone with experience or you might just end up with a nice paperweight with blinkie lights.

*edit*

I'll set it up for ya at the cost of a pint or two :P

Quick Update.

I have DD WRT on my linksys, using Repeater Bridge and its linked to my Netgear upstairs woohoo.

I have an NAS attached to the Netgear though and its killing my Bandwidth. Netgear doesnt have QOS so my next purchase is going to have to be another 2nd hand DD-WRt supported Router.

Thanks for all the help Spear. I wouldnt have found out about DDWRT otherwise.

On another note would i t be worth the risk trying to flash one of the WG602's i have. I have about 6 of them lying around....

Advertisement