Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party members, what's involved?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I do have an interest in following politics but I avoid the mayhem that happens over on www.politics.ie
    But I listen to radio shows and follow it in the media.

A long time ago I signed up as a youth member and attended an Ardfheis. It was interesting listening to it all but I didn’t realy interact with anyone except a few other in the youth group and introducing myself to the local TD.
    That was two years ago.

Yesterday I got a voicemail and an email from the local senator telling me he’s not seen me around and to call up to the office and get involved if interested.

So my question is what exactly do party members do? Is it attend meetings but by talked down to by the older (wiser?) heads?
    Stage protests and hijack events to get on the news? :D

Any party members here, what do you do exactly if you are involved on an active basis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

As little or as much as you want basically.

usually a branch meeting every couple of weeks. You can discuss / debate isues on the agenda, suggest topics for the next weeks agenda. Lot's of organisational jobs like branch finances / collect subs, take the minutes of the meeting, phone members and tell them about upcoming events, research a topic and give an introduction to the subject, e.g. management companies - introduce the topic, how they work, give a local viewpoint and concerns of members of the public, suggest a course of action or throw it out for debate ect. The branch will then adopt a position on the subject and may decide to involve other branches or bring it up at an ardfheis. Other stuff such as climbing lamp posts hanging up posters at election time or dropping leaflets. If there's a news letter or paper in the branch / party you could write a bit or if you're any use with design software you could look after the layouts / printing.

Then you can take on more responsibility, organise meetings, take on a senior role within the branch and so on.

Or you could just go along for the sake of being involved and find out how things work. Sit back and enjoy a pint while soaking up the discussions. Depending what party it is you might even get a few tips on whip rounds and rezoning land you happened to aquire on the cheap. How to get planning permission and tax avoidance 101 might also be on the agenda. These discussions might happen in the bar after your branch meeting ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It depends entriely on the geograpichal situation. Not to be sarcastic, but there's a lot of politics internally in some constituencies that means little or nothing happens, while others are the picture of how a constituency organisation works (Laoighis-Offaly and Limerick West being prime examples in FF).

He wouldn't be a Cavan man in Dublin by any chance. If it is Fianna Fáil, there's massive internal change due as after 15 years of a a man who was a constituency politician who became Taoiseach, we now have a Fianna Fáiler who has become Taoiseach. There's a difference there that isn't apparent to people who aren't familiar with the organisation.

Regardless, if there is a public rep(s) that you know, activity will mainly consist of canvassing with them and getting to know the issues that concern people. This is where you get the opportunity to think about being a public rep by seeing what they do first hand. I've been asked am I intending to run in locals on the doorsteps a bit recently. (The answer is no btw)

The reason you do it is for the party. You don't get much thanks, but that doesn't bother the people who are interested. You get to meet people of all types and come across interesting issues such as INIS cases to people looking for grant application forms.

I am a member of the local constituency Ógra, but it's not as active as I'd like (not for the want of trying) and I find 3rd levels are given freedom whereas there's sometimes a power struggle among public reps for control of constituencies. Don't let that bother you. You and the organisation will be there long after they're gone. It seems that the afore mentioned senator is looking to expand the role of the party in what he does. Public reps will often discuss issues and possible solutions with their party circle (Lisbon being one that got a lot of fire after Sarkozy's remarks and remaining a hot topic at parliamentary party level).

It's also possible to use the organisation as a platform to give something back.
    • Limerick West Ógra organise table quizzes for local causes and get a great turnout and support from the local community.
    • Cork South Central Ógra and UCC FF recently raised almost €800 for a The National Suicide Research Foundation - Cork and Kerry Alliance Against Depression.
    • Dublin West Ógra with the support of Brian Lenihan will host a ball in aid of the D15 Hospice and Aware in October
    Of course there are the pure social events also, which can be a great way of meeting people from all over the country.

That's the FF slant anyway. I'd recommend giving it a try anyway with the senator and sure if you don't like it you don't have to keep at it.

*** I totally agree on p.ie.....hissyfit central! I wonder do many of those people ever knock on doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks to you both for your helpful and detailed answers :)

Advertisement