Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 1.8T

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about these cars? I was looking at the uk autotrader site over the weekend and it seems you can pick one of these up fairly cheaply, compared to here anyway. The price of importing one from England including vrt comes to about €3500 compared to about €8000 here making it in the price range I'm looking at (€3000 - €4000) and also the power range (150 bhp - 200bhp).

All help is much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

3500 including VRT, are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

There is not even the slightest chance you'll get a roadworthy 1.8T Audi A3 for 3-4k.. Forget about it.. If you want a half decent one you're going to be spending 8-10k. They're still even more than that over here. I assume you're not buying like a 97 or 98, the 1.8Ts are pretty rare, even in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Link to this site, considering an A3, but the 1.6, not 1.8T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

quarryman wrote: »
    3500 including VRT, are you sure?

Approximately yeah but depends on the year. Take this for example: A3 1.8T Sport with full leather £1850 which is about €2300. Now ,according to ros.ie the vrt on this is €1300 giving a total of €3600.
    If the car were a 97 model like this one for £2000 = €2500, the vrt would only be about €800, making the total €3300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The engines are prone to sludge. It is same engine as in Audi TT, VW Passat, Jetta, Golf, New Beetle.

Although Audi/VW now has 10,000 mile service intervals, oil changes can be done between "services", and should be done if the vehicle is driven in heavy traffic, offroad, and non motorway use. Also, Audi/ VW will only warrant an engine if the customer has proof of all their oil changes. As of 2004 I believe all 1.8T engines must use synthetic oil.

Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) recommends that you use only VW/AUDI recommended oil which at the time of writing is Castrol Syntec 5W-40. You should also keep up on your oil changes, making them more frequent if you drive hard or haul a lot of cargo. The most important thing for the VW or Audi owner is this: if the oil light comes on and beeps the high pitch beep that most everyone ignores, pull over and shut the engine down immediately. Many VAG engines can be saved by this procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

farna_boy wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about these cars? I was looking at the uk autotrader site over the weekend and it seems you can pick one of these up fairly cheaply, compared to here anyway. The price of importing one from England including vrt comes to about €3500 compared to about €8000 here making it in the price range I'm looking at (€3000 - €4000) and also the power range (150 bhp - 200bhp).

All help is much appreciated.
    Cheers

For 3-4k the car would be very rough.
    As for the power range, the 1.8t's were available with 150 or 180 bhp versions in the A3 1.8t. There was never a 200bhp car available, the 150 version can be remapped/chipped to around 200bhp so thats prob what they are referring to there.
    The S3 (quattro) was available with 210 or 225 bhp, but thats a different car altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Neilw wrote: »
    For 3-4k the car would be very rough.
    As for the power range, the 1.8t's were available with 150 or 180 bhp versions in the A3 1.8t. There was never a 200bhp car available, the 150 version can be remapped/chipped to around 200bhp so thats prob what they are referring to there.
    The S3 (quattro) was available with 210 or 225 bhp, but thats a different car altogether.

Yeah sorry if it wasn't clear. I meant that I was looking at the 150bhp version, as the quattro 180bhp doesn't have much better performance due to the extra weight of the quattro system. What I meant by the 150bhp to 200bhp comment was that I was also looking at other cars in this power range that had a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The engines are prone to sludge. It is same engine as in Audi TT, VW Passat, Jetta, Golf, New Beetle.

Although Audi/VW now has 10,000 mile service intervals, oil changes can be done between "services", and should be done if the vehicle is driven in heavy traffic, offroad, and non motorway use. Also, Audi/ VW will only warrant an engine if the customer has proof of all their oil changes. As of 2004 I believe all 1.8T engines must use synthetic oil.

Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) recommends that you use only VW/AUDI recommended oil which at the time of writing is Castrol Syntec 5W-40. You should also keep up on your oil changes, making them more frequent if you drive hard or haul a lot of cargo. The most important thing for the VW or Audi owner is this: if the oil light comes on and beeps the high pitch beep that most everyone ignores, pull over and shut the engine down immediately. Many VAG engines can be saved by this procedure.

Very true and good advice there.
    Doing an Oil change every 5-6k miles should stop this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'm afraid for that kind of money and milage you won't get a great one. I suppose if you could possibly find one with a massive service history it might be ok but still risky.

Advertisement