Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Accident next steps?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Involved in accident yesterday, guy hit the back of my car, guards on the scene, thankfully no one hurt (although my neck is a bit sore).
    Guy admitted it was his fault.

I rang my insurance (AA) and let them know what happened. The other driver wants to go with the claim thru his insurance (Eagle Star).

I drove it work the same day, but the drop down bumper fell off (Fiat Marea Weekend) and i cant really drive with out it.

I heard that u r entitled to car replacment (car hire?)if u cant drive yours.
    Im self-employed and losing any day of work means no money coming in, who should expect to get me the car replacement? My insurance or chase third party's insurance people?
    Will my insurance company pay all the expenses (repair, car replacement) first and then deal with the 3rd party insurance to get their money back or do i need deal directly with the 3rd partys insurance?

Mechanic told me it would be pointless to have it fixed as fixing it would cost around 1500 (roughly-waiting for the quote) so they might write it off.

In fairness i would prefer to have it fixed, rather then go thru all the hassle of ringing insurance for weeks, buying another car etc. The car is perfectly fine itself, its just the damage to the back that might be costly to have it fixed.

Has anyone been thru this?

Sorry 4 so many questions, but its my 1st time in the situation like that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hey OP,

I've been in a similar situation. My car was driving fine after the crash but you are definitely entitled to a hire car.. I would suggest either you go to a solicitor and ask him to contact Eagle Star or ask your insurance company to do it. You will be looked after more swiftly that way. Don't do anything with the car until you are advised by an assessor. Maybe even get your own, because they will send someone to assess the damage and give your car a value less than what you think. Also record any loss/expected loss of earnings while all this is going on. Best of luck and I hope your neck gets better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Not all insurance companies will give you a courtesy car unfortunately. Quinn direct don't and I know that for a fact. I'd say the more reputable companies will though.

You should have a call from someone who's been assigned your claim from your insurance company and he/she will walk you through things.
    Luckily he's admitted fault already and it should go a lot quicker.
    An assessor will most likely come out to have a look at the damage and they'll expect you to get a quote from a body shop for the repair.
    If the assessor thinks the price is reasonable, they'll confirm it and send you out a cheque in the post.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

there is a eagle star number you can ring when you've the persons details. i got a car after mine was wrote off by someone else for as long as i wanted.

eagle star do provide a car for people who cant drive their own , even if it aint on your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If your car cannot be driven, and you require the use of a vehicle then you would "entitled" to the use of another vehicle while yours is being repaired.

If your car has been written off, then you would be "entitled" to the use of a vehicle until you get a new one.

I put "entitled" in quotes because how you go about it differs. Some insurance companies offer a courtesy car as part of the policy. They make the full claim on your behalf, including their costs in hiring you a car.

Other companies will not offer this service, which means that you will have to go and rent the car yourself (paying out of your own pocket), and then submit that cost as part of your claim, along with any medical bills and so forth.

Without knowing who your insurance company is or what your policy contains, I recommend you ring them and ask them the question, instead of asking us, because we can't tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

Thanks 4 replies guys

Got a call today from my insurance company (AIG Europe - AA) and the guy said that if i want to speed the things up i should go thru with them and possibly they could sort it out in 3-7 days.
    l will have to pay 200 euros excess and they will cover the rest, but will get it back (the 200 euros) when they send the total bill to the other insurance company (Eagle Star).
    And it would take 2-3 weeks if they deal directly with Eagle Star. He also mentioned that i would be entitled to a replacement/hire car for about 5-6 days.
    He told me to take my time and decide which way i want to go and gave me some other company telephone number which is dealing with claims on behalf of AA.
    So i think i will just go ahead with my insurance co. and get it sorted asap.

I must say, the AA is the best company i have ever dealt with, very nice and professional approach towards the customer.
    Saved me hundreds when switched motor insurance, being the member of the roadside rescue got me out of tricky situations and multiple breakdowns that occured during few years i've been with them. I also got travel, house and my partners car insurance with them.
    U r seriously getting the service u r paying for. Strongly recommend to anyone.
    Hope they will do the same great job this time!:pac:

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement