Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GamesTM review Street Fighter IV [SPOILER]

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Give it a
    9 out of 10

They say it is up there with Third Strike, though they are still figuring out if the Focus system is brilliant or simply a gimmick

Roll on the PS3 conversion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Linky plz!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, interesting bt I'll wait for the other reviews. Games TM can be a little exctable at times especially when handing out 10/10's to games that don't deserve them. The game has also only been out over a week in japan iirc which isn't much time to judge it and Games TM are notorious fan boys of third strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Linky plz!

GamesTM would be a magazine ... in the real world .. that bright shinny thing outside the bedroom window :P

Wicknight wrote: »
    GamesTM would be a magazine ... in the real world .. that bright shinny thing outside the bedroom window :P

WTF is a "magazine" :pac: Scan it plz :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cannot wait, Probably the first game I will buy for the PS3 over the XBox simply because of the controller.

Hopefully we will get a decent arcade stick for the 360 before then.

Did they say anything about any new characters (apart from the ones already spoiled in the arcade tests)
    C. Viper, Abel, El Fuerte, Rufus, Seth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Cant wait for this, out of interest whats everybodies fav character in the Street Fighter series, my is Vega (hence my profile pic).

I was always a Ryu/Ken type of guy although I liked playing with Guile as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Balrog is the man. Can't wait to try him out in SF4, and indeed all the other characters!

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I was always a Ryu/Ken type of guy although I liked playing with Guile as well.

I played SF2turbo at the expence of my teenage years so I'm good with all the old school characters. Despite my avatar, my favourite character is Ken. I. Very interested in playing
    C.Viper
    ...looks very promising!

Didn't really play any SF3 so will have to brush up on all the new fighting systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting bt I'll wait for the other reviews. Games TM can be a little exctable at times especially when handing out 10/10's to games that don't deserve them. The game has also only been out over a week in japan iirc which isn't much time to judge it and Games TM are notorious fan boys of third strike.

yea but "YAK YAK YAK" all you want. It is still the best magazine out there. I mile better than those pretentious cocks who write EDGE. I wouldnt say gamestm hand around too many 10/10 scores that dont deserve them.

EDIT: in fact only six games have ever gotten 10
    * Metroid Prime
    * Burnout 3
    * Gears of War
    * God of War II
    * Bioshock
    * Grand Theft Auto IV

not even the amazing RESI 4 got a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote: »

But Gears of War did, which I'll never forgive them for!

I do have a few irks with Games TM but, yes, they are by far the best multiformat magazine out there. My problem is that they are all massive fans of Street Fighter especially Third Strike and I think this might have clouded their judgement. I also don't think they spent enough time with the game to be fair to it, beat'em upstake a long time before they show their depth. The fact that they haven't fully unravelled Focus system is a bit worrying.

I'd just want to see a few more reviews before I make up my mind and buy the gmae anyway because I love Street Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We're all gonna be playing SFIV for a month at least anyway -- only THEN will we figure out if it's got the lasting appeal of ST or 3S.

with all the people with sf avatars, I'm surprised the game doesn't have its own forum? Has anyone ever tried to establish one?

Your spoiler tags don't work when you hover your mouse over the thread link for the preview.

I'm so disappointed now.

But seriously, it's Street Fighter. It's got to be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

FutureGuy wrote: »
    with all the people with sf avatars, I'm surprised the game doesn't have its own forum? Has anyone ever tried to establish one?

Not many people give a damn about fighting games on boards. There is a forum for SFIV on Shoryuken and probably Neoempire.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looking forward to this one :) , Loved the origionals on the mega drive, my first console lol

Nick

FutureGuy wrote: »

Someone tried before but it didn't get much support :/. I would imagine that most of the people with SF avatars are just using them as homages to their youth rather than indications of being hard core fans. I keep meaning to try again. I'll get around to it sometime.

I've been watching a lot of videos of SF4 recently and with the GamesTM review it's got me pretty excited. Of the new characters Abel looks the most interesting. Very reminiscent of Alex, so he'll be my first stop when I get the game I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

any console release dates? any good 360 pads for street fighter?(never got into 3rd strike on anniversary simply because the d-pad on xbox pads are terrible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    any console release dates? any good 360 pads for street fighter?(never got into 3rd strike on anniversary simply because the d-pad on xbox pads are terrible)

You won't find any good 360 pads. I've tried the Madcatz controller, it was really crap. Poorly put together. Only option is arcade stick for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could try the Hori EX Turbo pad: eBay
    Play-Asia are also "expecting restock"; or maybe try Amazon etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

cheers lads, im only really into joypads, i suck using arcade sticks. pity that Hori joypads is currently 92 dollars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    EDIT: in fact only six games have ever gotten 10
    * Metroid Prime
    * Burnout 3
    * Gears of War
    * God of War II
    * Bioshock
    * Grand Theft Auto IV

None of those games deserve a perfect 10 score.

W00t Akuma is back.

Advertisement