Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which science has best served humanity? (title fixed)

• 07-08-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

It's a question with no right answer but I wonder what other people think. From the start, let's just say that this is a bit of fun as well as being a bit serious so try not to get worked up if you don't agree with something :)

So I and millions of others are alive today simply because of advances in Biology (and therefore medicine). Infant mortality has plummeted and we all live longer thanks to Biology.

However, I can't help thinking that life would be tough without the advances in chemistry and materials science, we wouldn't have many of our cleaning products only for formulation scientists and the chemists who synthesised the chemicals in them, we also wouldn't have plastics for example, so my office chair might be made of wood and I could get splinters as it aged.

Speaking of office chairs, without maths, physics and computer science, I wouldn't be on this forum and would probably be bored a lot of the time.

So I ask you, what science, in your opinion has contributed most to humanity and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The 'scence' of spelling.. ;) sorry couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Dave147 wrote: »
    The 'scence' of spelling.. ;) sorry couldn't help myself.

Yeah, my keyboard is sticky today, stupid wireless keyboards :o
    I'll fix it now smartarse Dave147. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It's a question with no right answer but I wonder what other people think. From the start, let's just say that this is a bit of fun as well as being a bit serious so try not to get worked up if you don't agree with something :)

So I and millions of others are alive today simply because of advances in Biology (and therefore medicine). Infant mortality has plummeted and we all live longer thanks to Biology.

However, I can't help thinking that life would be tough without the advances in chemistry and materials science, we wouldn't have many of our cleaning products only for formulation scientists and the chemists who synthesised the chemicals in them, we also wouldn't have plastics for example, so my office chair might be made of wood and I could get splinters as it aged.

Speaking of office chairs, without maths, physics and computer science, I wouldn't be on this forum and would probably be bored a lot of the time.

So I ask you, what science, in your opinion has contributed most to humanity and why?

Many of the novel chemical entities that become medicines are synthesised by chemists rather than biologists. I still prefer biology though, since our knowledge is used to make all that stuff go.

My vote goes to the physicists who, if the Fear Brigade are correct, should be ending the world sometime in the next 24 hours by switching on the LHC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mathematics > all.

purity.png

seamus wrote: »
    Mathematics > all.

Sure, if you're not all that into reality. ;)

• Advertisement

Mathematics > all.

A simplistic argument for a very good claim. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Mathematics > all.

I like! :D

Dunno what the hell people have against such a simple statement that is obviously correct. :)

I'd actually go with physics/engineering though for many reasons, starting with taking us out of the caves and into huts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd go with physics... totally non-biased, it being my science of choice. Possibly engineering. Technology like, computers, cars, all that jazz, definitely affected us hugely if not improved our quality of life. Difficult to say though, if a science isn't useful it'll just fizzle away.
    Which leads one to wonder, which is the least useful science? : p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Scientology of course :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Which leads one to wonder, which is the least useful science? : p

Hmmm, let me check the diagram...
    'Sociology' by the looks of things.

Now that one just might be right! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I think Seamus's XKCD cartoon partly answers the question in that the are all so interrelated. In my opinion it is the application of the scientific method in simple cases which has benefited mankind the most e.g. John Snow and the Cholera outbreak in London (http://www.winwaed.com/sci/cholera/john_snow.shtml)

Science has codified the necessity of stepping back, thinking and theorising continuously refining and purely in human life term that has helped combat diseases and outbreaks purely from someone going "wait a minute these cases are not unrelated". I think I'm advocating medical research but not in a big pharma way but I'm not sure.

In another completely partisan reckoning I say Chemistry cause that's what my BA is in :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I would have to say probably biology, because of all the advances in medicine. The result of this is we have not been wiped out and are around to enjoy the benefits of all the other sciences;)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

Well, since you said humanity, it would probably have to be biology.
    After all, the human race could be extinct if it wasnt for vaccines (E.g. smallpox)....advances in the medical field and all that jazz, its all been said here already.

But if the question was more general (as us humans aren't the be-all and end-all of everything), I would have to go with physics...or indeed mathematics. Logic shows the power of the human brain, mathematics challenges the thought process, and physics gives us a better understanding of the universe, helps us make sense of things, and (e.g. in the field of quantum physics) can challenge your everyday thinking. Also I'm studying physics, so I'm a bit biased! :cool:

Bijoux wrote: »
    Well, since you said humanity, it would probably have to be biology.
    After all, the human race could be extinct if it wasnt for vaccines (E.g. smallpox)....advances in the medical field and all that jazz, its all been said here already.

Not to mention germ theory and the sanitation revolution in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

i'll go with physics simply because(leaving out the obvious things it's responsable for transport, communications etc.) the subjects being studied now(e.g string theory) are just mind boggling to say the least... they have thrown our everyday thinkings of what we and the universe is made up out the window.

and i just have to make my statement that biology isn't a real science. bloody biologists!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

political science, social science, football science and a good deal of psychology is not science

moggins7 wrote: »
    and i just have to make my statement that biology isn't a real science. bloody biologists!:D

If you'd like to discard our findings, feel free. When you're dying of TB your string theory won't save you. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

moggins7 wrote: »

QFT :pac:

The world, physics people and the greatest mathematicians are just in a whirlpool of chemistry :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sailormoon

Sure, if you're not all that into reality. ;)

reality is an illusion :D

• Advertisement

Okay, less of the bashing of other sciences, concentrate on why any of the sciences has best served humanity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Bijoux wrote: »
    I would have to go with physics.. Also I'm studying physics, so I'm a bit biased! :cool:

Famous quotation:

"Physics is the only real science. The rest of the sciences are just stamp collecting."
    -- Ernest Rutherford

Pgibson wrote: »
    Famous quotation:

"Physics is the only real science. The rest of the sciences are just stamp collecting."
    -- Ernest Rutherford

[mod hat on]This is the second and last warning I'm giving. Less bashing of other sciences and more talk about why you think a certain science has served humanity best[/mod hat on]

[mod hat on]This is the second and last warning I'm giving. Less bashing of other sciences and more talk about why you think a certain science has served humanity best[/mod hat on]

Not bashing anything.

Rutherford's comment is one of the most famous quotations from the 20th century.

Just thought I might pop it in.

If biology can explain "Consciousness" some day then Biology may yet have the last laugh.

In a very real sense all of the sciences are branches of physics.

Rutherford's comment is one of the most famous quotations from the 20th century.
    I don't care, using it in the manner you did after my warning isn't on.
    Rutherford banned from popular science :D: D
    If biology can explain "Consciousness" some day then Biology may yet have the last laugh.
    I have an interesting book called "Consciousness" at home that looks at the state of neuroscience today. Ironically, the recent experiment using rat neurons to 'power' a robot (see Guan Yin's thread) is a combination of physics and biology that may one day yield the very results we are looking for.

Today more than ever it is harder to delineate the sciences, nanotechnology is one area where it's almost impossible at times to say where the biology ends and the physics begins. This is why we must look to the past to see if any science can be said to have contributed more than another.

It's a question as easily answered as "How long is a piece of string?" but worth hearing peoples take on it.

Famous quotation:

-- Ernest Rutherford

its not really science bashing...

i love this quote mainly for the fact its so ironic seeing as he's basically the father of atomic theory...

It's a question as easily answered as "How long is a piece of string?" but worth hearing peoples take on it.

it's hardly the lenght that matters. would it not be its tension and vibrational frequency that matters???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, Medical Science did the most "good" to ordinary people whereas Chemical Science did the most "bad".

Chemists invented TNT,Gelignite, Semtex, Agent Orange, Napalm etc .

The effects of which Medical Science tried to "undo".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Anyway, Medical Science did the most "good" to ordinary people whereas Chemical Science did the most "bad".

Chemists invented TNT,Gelignite, Semtex, Agent Orange, Napalm etc .

The effects of which Medical Science tried to "undo".

Its still alll chemistry though. The medicinal chemists that gave us vaccines and all the important drugs are still chemists just like those that gave us formulations, plactics and other important chemical discoveries.

Besides, physicists invented the atomic bomb :).

• Advertisement

Creature wrote: »
    Besides, physicists invented the atomic bomb :).
    the atomic bomb had to happen though....

and chemists also gave us nearly every illegal drug... but they also needed to happen..
    i suppose we should be thankful for chemists seeing as they gave us fuel for transport electricity etc.. but then i suppose there'd be no need for it was it not for physicists though chemists did discover the materials needed to make such things.... hmmm ever increasing circles(sorry just wanted to include a carcass refrence there somewhere:))

Advertisement