Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to travel with medication that needs to be refrigerated.

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my hubby is on medication that needs to be refrigerated at all times. It is only one syringe so it is quite small. We are travelling to California next week so obviously will have a pretty long flight with a stopover.

We were thinking of putting it in a freezer bag with ice, will we have trouble getting this through security? (we will have a GP letter)

Has anyone ever asked the airline to store medication in their fridge, or do they have a contingency for this?

Or would we best to check it with our luggage so it goes in the hold? Hubby is worried about doing this in case it freezes.

TIA!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a couple of gel packs to keep my insulin cool during the summer when travelling:

http://www.friouk.com/buy/

You just submerge the pack of crystals in water for a few minutes and it sucks up the water and expands into a gel, it then keeps the contents cold by evaporation. I've had them last for about three'ish days before needing to resumberge them in a sink of water ro "recharge" it during relatively hot trips.

Never been questioned by "security" about them either, but then I always leave my medication in the bottom of my carry on bags without bothering with the ziplock bag messing around.

Edit: Just spotted that they re-sell some of that range through the Diabetes Ireland website now:
    http://www.diabetesshop.ie/iopen24/product_info.php?cPath=1194&products_id=966505

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I use the Frio bags also and i've never had a problem with security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 *Carol*

You definitely shouldn't put it in with the checked luggage as it is likely to freeze and expand possible cracking.
    An Irish airline stored our sons insulin for us on 2 separate long haul flights in the onboard fridge. They were very accomodating.
    If you call the airline you are travelling with ahead of time they will let you know what their procedure is for this.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

My girlfriend often brings stuff with her on a 2 hour flight. Usually could be 10x25ml injections or so. She brings them in a soft cooler bag with ice packs. Dont use ice since there are much better alternatives.

That frio pack that robinph linked to looks the business - 45 hours is pretty long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Something that should be considered, is the ice affecting the medication.
    I've just been put on some new stuff and it's a 'live' medicine.
    if this gets frozen or touches the ice it will kill the medicine.
    Might be worthwhile to confirm if this could happen or you could be left with a medicine that does not work anymore or that could have serious ill effects?

I should be finding out how to transport this medicine for holidays in about two weeks, I'll see about including a post on what is suggested by the rep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto to robinph- I've used gelpacks inside a padded insulation bag (its a small white bag with bubbles like bubble wrap- they use them on the continent for small frozen items- its not metal and can go through the x-ray machine).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I used to work for "airline security" and i often searched peoples carry on bags with insulin injections in them.You are better to have a letter from your prof or doctor to prove they are yours etc.Also inform check-in staff that you have them or ask for a supervisior at check-in and tell them as its better safe then sorry.But tbh you will have know problem once you have the letter thats all.

pm me if you want futher details

tv3 wrote: »
    But tbh you will have know problem once you have the letter thats all.

pm me if you want futher details

From personal experience- if you have a letter and bring it to the notice of the security people, you are bringing attention to the fact that you have something with you of interest to them, and are as likely to be dragged off and have your carry-on luggage examined in minute detail in a side office for 30-40 minutes, depending on which airport you are at. Some airports are brilliant- Dublin (ironically) is great- Heathrow is appalling (I've made several official complaints)- and if you go to Spain or Portugal where the security staff might not have English and show your letter to them, anything at all is likely to happen. Some airports (such as Charles de Gaule in Paris, or Brussels) take security to a whole new level- and once you accept that you are going to get your luggage checked and be scanned by hand, and are corteous and polite to the staff, you'll get through ok (we were even gotten coffee by nice machine gun totting security staff in Paris).

Of at very least as much use abroad- are the medical bracelets, security staff on the continent appear to have gotten decent training on them.

Different airports work in different ways, and staff have different levels of training.......

Ps- when in foreign airports, if you make an effort (even if its appalling) to try to talk to them in French/Portuguese/Spanish (whatever) they do actually appreciate it, and you're far more likely to treated in a far better manner (not that I needed a lesson on how to load/unload a machinegun from a cheerful French security guard who my wife was drooling over......:D)

If you approach your dealings with the security staff in an antagonistic manner, you are likely to encounter difficulties- if you accept that you are going to have to offer an explanation to them, be it in pidgeon French or whatever, smile and are friendly to them- they are far more likely to be of a sunny disposition towards you.........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ I'd agree with the not bringing unneeded attention to yourself, as although you'll still get through OK you are just adding to the time as they rummage through your bags.

If I'm directly asked if I have anything sharp in my bags, that is by "security" not the checkin girls, then I will tell then there are needles in the bag before they stick their hands in. Otherwise there is no need to mention anything to them unless they have already selected your bag for checking after the scanner. Whenever my bags have been selected for checks though it has never been due to them spotting the needles or pens on the scan, it's always down to the large amount of electronics that I have instead.

I recently went through Ben Gurion airport in Israel which has to be the strictest security of any airport anywhere though, you even get all your bags scanned and everyone has all their luggage rummaged through before you even get to the checkin desk. Even they were not interested in the needles that I had on me though, and I did even mention it to the guy that quizzes you as soon as you enter the airport before the first bag scan. It was the numerous electronic gadgets that I had on me they were more curious about, and I think just because they were interested rather than worried.

I've never felt the need for a letter from a GP, or to even have the original packaging with the prescription labels on me, which I've seen suggested sometimes before. If you feel better having those things on you then do, but only bring it up when asked directly about what you have. If you turn up at the scanner waiving a letter from a doctor at them they will just think your odd and pull you aside regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

have a letter. Also just say to the security guard that checks your id that you have insulin in your bag. 9/10 they say ok and just say it to the xray person and the other 1/10 they ask for a note.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was travelling around europe recently, and I never had any problems with the security in Dublin or in Vienna on the return flight.

I had severe issues with bringing a bag around a museum in Berlin, but that was because of my decision to only bring a small rucksack for daily use instead of a satchel etc.

Thankfully my bit of german got me through, but otherwise I would have had no choice but to leave the museum.

I brought my usual travel letter from my GP, but it was never asked for. Airline staff don't really care, and security guards will definitely come to you if they have an issue, so best not to mention anything and bring unnecessary confusion or attention on oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Playtex makes a carry bag for baby bottles. You freeze it over night and the next day it acts as a refrigerator fo 12 hours.

http://www.target.com/Playtex-Fridge-Bottle-Tote-Double/dp/B000KJWY0U

Advertisement