Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Download Speed ??

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Ive been on eircom broadband for mounths on a 1mb connection, with download speeds of about 100kbps,
    yesterday i tried watching a video on youtube and it was buffering unbeleiveably slow, I then tried downloading something and it maxed out at 16.5 kbps,

I then checked my router page and this came up 160/128 (kbps)
    is eircom having trouble at the moment or what , im really confused

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Ive been on eircom broadband for mounths on a 1mb connection, with download speeds of about 100kbps,
    yesterday i tried watching a video on youtube and it was buffering unbeleiveably slow, I then tried downloading something and it maxed out at 16.5 kbps,

I then checked my router page and this came up 160/128 (kbps)
    is eircom having trouble at the moment or what , im really confused

Post your line stats from your router and we can tell more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

where on the router page will I find them..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

where on the router page will I find them..

There should be a status or info page. Look for something about attenuation or margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

u need to go to advanced, statistics, dsl

then post everything you see there.. thats if you have a standard eircon netopia router

Here

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Wad working fine yesterday too. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Here

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Wad working fine yesterday too. :confused::confused:

That's more than enough for 1 meg. Your sync rate should be much higher. Might want to talk to Eircom and see if something bad has happened. I presume you've done the obvious things like restart the router.

your stats aint great to be honest, but should be capable of holding a 1mb connection..

Have you rang eircom technical "support" think the number is 1890 260 260

Also have you tried resetting your router? theres a little hole in the back, use a pin to punch it and hold it for 5 seconds, you should see the power light flash indicated its been reset.

Have you installed any equipment in your HOUSE*******, first thing i would do is reset the the router.. give it a go, ur speeds are 56kdialup*3 :)

nuxxx wrote: »
    Have you installed any equipment in your spouse,

Er? Kinda personal question that.

Reset the router already, Id say it could be a line error or soething,, il try calling eircom
    and I installed skyhd yesterday if that could effect it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Reset the router already, Id say it could be a line error or soething,, il try calling eircom
    and I installed skyhd yesterday if that could effect it in anyway.

It might be because sky boxes, when connected to a phone line, are notorious for adding extra noise. Try disconnecting the sky box from the phone line to see if it improves your SN margin and sync speed.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    It might be because sky boxes, when connected to a phone line, are notorious for adding extra noise. Try disconnecting the sky box from the phone line to see if it improves your SN margin and sync speed.

Periodic noise could give the poor sync rate despite the otherwise okay line stats.

Spear wrote: »
    Er? Kinda personal question that.

lol, i meant house sorry , one eye is on pc another somewhere else :) and btw i asked talking to the OP not a smart arse like yourself , instead of commenting on something that was obviously meant as house why dont you try your routine of looking but smart but not actually helping anybody.

*Fixed*

oddly it was sky anytime cuasing the interferance.. :D:D
    happy to have my BB back to normal

*Fixed*

oddly it was sky anytime cuasing the interferance.. :D:D
    happy to have my BB back to normal

You may need new microfilters then to cut that noise out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nuxxx wrote: »
    and btw i asked talking to the OP not a smart arse like yourself , instead of commenting on something that was obviously meant as house why dont you try your routine of looking but smart but not actually helping anybody.
    Lighten up nuxxx. You have to admit it was funny :)

Advertisement