Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to tune surround sound system

• 07-08-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭

hi i have a sony ht-ss1100 can anyone exlplain to me how to tweak it, i set it up with the mic ya get and auto calibration but it still doesnt sound that good, sorry if i'm not makin sense

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Need a little more information............

You say "it doesn't sound that good" - what exactly do you think is lacking in the sound ? Can you tell us a bit about the room where you've got it set up, size of the room etc., where are the speakers and the sub located ?

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the quality is good until its up to bout 15, the room is circa 13x12 foot, i havent put the surround speakes ''surround'' yet, the 4 speakers are on the tv stand and so is the center speaker and the sub is around 1 foot away from them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You're wasting your time setting up the system with the built-in calibration without setting the speakers up - it's designed to have the centre speaker above or under the TV and the front speakers placed to each side of the TV, preferably a couple of feet away on each side, and the surround speakers to the side and behind the main seating position - this should be clear from the manual/instructions you got with it. I'm not surprised you're unhappy with the sound, how did you expect to get "surround sound" with all the speakers in roughly the same place ?

As for "the quality is good until its up to bout 15" comment, I assume you're unhappy with the unit running at a higher volume (although we have no idea how high etc. "15" is) you need to remember that these are comparatively small speakers, the subwoofer is tiny (about 7") iirc, and you may be overdriving them - just because the system is capable of high output doesn't mean the speakers can reproduce it free from distortion. On the other hand it could be that the sound is muddled because it's poorly set up and the issues become more apparent at higher volume.

I suggest you arrange the speakers, do the calibration again and see what it's like then.

Ritz.

ok cheers

The Ritz wrote: »
    . I'm not surprised you're unhappy with the sound, how did you expect to get "surround sound" with all the speakers in roughly the same place ?
    lol i knew i wouldnt get surround sound with the speakers that way but i just set it up like that for now till i'm finished decoratin

• Advertisement
Advertisement