Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clattenburg suspended over debts

• 07-08-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7546968.stm
    Referee Mark Clattenburg has been suspended pending enquiries into reports regarding his alleged debts.

The Football Association and referees' body Professional Game Match Officials Ltd acted after allegations relating to debts of companies connected to him.

Clattenburg was set to take charge of the FA Community Shield clash between Manchester United and Portsmouth.

But the County Durham official has been replaced for Sunday's curtain-raiser to the new season by Peter Walton.

A joint statement from the FA and PGMO read: "PGMO is aware of media reports concerning alleged debts incurred by companies connected to referee Mark Clattenburg.

"It has been decided he will not officiate any matches pending enquiries into the background to these reports.

"The FA has also decided to appoint Peter Walton as referee for Sunday's FA Community Shield between Manchester United and Portsmouth in place of Mark Clattenburg."

A PGMO spokesman added: "It is in the best interests of Mark Clattenburg and the game that these reports are fully investigated and, during that time, he will not referee any matches.

"Mark Clattenburg is one of England's leading referees and we hope to resolve this matter swiftly."

Earlier this week, the Newcastle Chronicle reported that Clattenburg's company MC Electrical Retail NE Ltd has been wound up by Newcastle County Court over a £59,589 debt.

Can someone explain why financial debts of a company he his connected to mean he should be suspending from being a match official? Is there a fear he would be more likely to accept a bribe in these financial circumstances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tauren wrote: »

Can someone explain why financial debts of a company he his connected to mean he should be suspending from being a match official? Is there a fear he would be more likely to accept a bribe in these financial circumstances?

That probably is the reason actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm sure Gerrard will be disapointed ;) bluenoses will be ecstatic though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

Hopefully Mark Halsey and Andy D'urso are next, the tw*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I'd say its a mixture of that and the possibility of a media frenzy if he made a very dodgy call for a peno in the last minute of a game. There would be shenanigans called from every "pundit" going.

I think its very harsh though. His business life has nothing to do with him being a referee imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I suspect so. Isn't that the reason why TD's aren't allowed to be in debt too? Can't remember her name, but there was a big fuss about some female Fianna Fáiler recently regarding that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Bit miffed about that one myself.

Pretty unfair to my mind if it's because of a perceived bribe risk - we've no idea how much debt any other ref might be in privately but Clattenburg gets suspended because his debts are a matter of public record? Harsh if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im sure theres some way we can tie Steve Bennet to all of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

One of the best ref's in the Prem, such a shame. I think he had about 3 games where he went mad after the Liverpool game but consistent and dosn't fling the yellow card around like most of the others, prefers to have a chat and calm things that way.

Unlike Steve Bennet.

Advertisement