Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This kind of rubbish coming to Ireland

Options
  • 07-08-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Well Northern Ireland anyway. Just read there abouta DUP politician trying to get Creationism taught in Northern schools either alongside or instead of Evolution Theory. He also wants the Giants Causeway to have signs that give a Biblical explanation for its formation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0807/1218047756470.html

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh for **** sake.
    Right.
    This is just not going to happen.
    Even if I have to march for it.
    Whatever it takes. Let them have their nonsense, but don't teach it like it's real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its not exactly new up there, considering where the DUP comes from and its connection with the Free Presbyterian church, its not something to be that surprised about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

DUP idiot wrote:
    The problem to date has been that we only have a narrow interpretation from an evolutionary point of view as to how these particular stones were formed
    So the stones evolved?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Kernunos wrote: »
    He also wants the Giants Causeway to have signs that give a Biblical explanation for its formation.

hahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahaha

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Point and laugh children, point and laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Wicknight wrote: »
    Point and laugh children, point and laugh

Normally id agree with ya but people actually believe this crap

• Advertisement

Normally id agree with ya but people actually believe this crap

And we should point at them and laugh :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And we should point at them and laugh :p
    Might I direct you to the Charter here.... oh forget it...

/ starts pointing >>

It is funny they mention the Giant's Causeway, because that is often used and an example of something that appears to be quite ordered and structured and designed but that has a perfectly natural non-intelligent explanation, once you find out what it is. This is used in parallel with evolution to show that just because we at one point have a hard time understanding how something structured can appear from nature doesn't mean it can't.

But obviously these people think it can't, despite a very sound scientific explanation.

I would love to see what competting theory they have,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Does it involve noodly appendages?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But obviously these people think it can't, despite a very sound scientific explanation.

Well I visited the place as a kid. The legend goes it was built by giants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I would love to see what competing theory they have,

I heard it involved two giants...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The DUP have lost all credibility, they just like to make a song and dance about everything now. Last week it was homophobia, I wonder whats up next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

eoin5 wrote: »
    The DUP have lost all credibility, they just like to make a song and dance about everything now. Last week it was homophobia, I wonder whats up next week?
    To say that they have lost all credibility implies that they had some to start with... To us, as reasonable people they seem like idiots. To their followers they can do no wrong.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What a disgusting moron that man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I would love to see what competting theory they have

I wouldn't be expecting much other than the usual 'god did it' answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The problem to date has been that we only have a narrow interpretation from an evolutionary point of view as to how these particular stones were formed.

The theory of evolution has nothing to do with the formation of rocks.
    She tells us she's all for equality; surely if that is the case, you can't have one set of interpretations being taught at the expense of others.

If you assume all interpretations are actually equal then the curriculum is going to get very crowded.

The theory of evolution has nothing to do with the formation of rocks.

Nor for that matter does the age of the Earth, or radiometeric dating, have anything to do with evolution.

Nor for that matter does the age of the Earth, or radiometeric dating, have anything to do with evolution.
    ...until someone claims that the earth is less than 10,000 years old, thereby rendering evolution impossible.

Dades wrote: »
    ...until someone claims that the earth is less than 10,000 years old, thereby rendering evolution impossible.

Yes but it isn't evolutionists who claim the Earth is old. The Earth being old simply means that there is a time period that evolution could work, but evolution doesn't state the Earth is old.

Creationists in their rush to attack evolution seem to think everything they dislike stems from evolutionary science. In fact there are completely unrelated areas of science that contradict their literal interpretation of Genesis. They largely ignore this because to them evolution is the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'm wagering "It was a dock for Noahs Ark" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A stairway to heaven?

toiletduck wrote: »
    I'm wagering "It was a dock for Noahs Ark" :pac:
    Goooood... :pac:
    A stairway to heaven?
    Winner! :D
    If you assume all interpretations are actually equal then the curriculum is going to get very crowded.

I certainly can't wait until the Flat Earth Society, Holocost deniers and people who believe lizards rule the world come banging on the classroom door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Wait for the Rapture. That's when the party's going to happen, when all these assholes **** off. THEN IT'S OUR PLACE!!! YAAAARGH!

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Wait for the Rapture. That's when the party's going to happen, when all these assholes **** off. THEN IT'S OUR PLACE!!! YAAAARGH!

The Rapture will be great. The believers get to go to heaven. We get to live in a world free from ID.

Galvasean wrote: »
    The Rapture will be great. The believers get to go to heaven. We get to live in a world free from ID.
    And the creationists get to live in one free from I.

Dades wrote: »
    And the creationists get to live in one free from logic.

fixed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    Sounds like Douglas Adam's Golgafrinchans all over again -- how could we convince fundamentalists that the rapture was nigh? A 500-foot tall inflatable Jesus on the White House lawn, smiting anybody who thinks he's not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't think something thats inflatable is capable of much smiting :/

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't think something thats inflatable is capable of much smiting :/
    Oh, ye think so?

staypuft.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey has the Thanks option been removed from A&A? :confused:

I want to express my appreciation of Dades' above post but in the absense of a handy button, I can think of no alternative way to convey that sentiment :(

Advertisement