Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This kind of rubbish coming to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey has the Thanks option been removed from A&A? :confused:(

No.
    You must have used up your daily alloted amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    I want to express my appreciation of Dades' above post but in the absense of a handy button, I can think of no alternative way to convey that sentiment :(
    Consider it done!

You must have been up all night thanking, btw. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

boo-urns..... Damn me and my graciousness! :D

I sure hope nobody makes any posts in the next 24 hrs that are REALLY REALLY in need of my thanks!

Anywho... carry on....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

My three theories ... The causeway was formed:
    1. By an over-excited, infant god going bananas with a large hexagonal-ish bun cutter.
    2. By an advanced and uber-large extra-terrestrial race who developed an early version of three dimensional Tetris
    or
    3. By the pre-historic Corporate Giants 'LEGO-lith' as part of an over-the-top publicity campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't think something thats inflatable is capable of much smiting :/
    Zillah, my son, my son, you're not getting into the spirit of this at all!

The inflatable Jesus, like the smiting, will be invisible, so believers will have a great chance to show how mighty is their faith that the invisible Jesus is actually smiting all the unfaithful who think he's not there at all. To the likes of us with no faith or under the influence of Satan, everybody will be walking around as normal, but the Truly Faithful will see many people lying smitten on the grounds, wisps of holy smoke rising gracefully into the air.

It's a bit like the Emperors New Clothes, only with thunderbolts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Thing is, I'd have no problem with intelligent design in philosophy/religion, but Biology never attempts to explain the origins of the universe. Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its shows how confllict allows crazies to flourish

Thing is, I'd have no problem with intelligent design in philosophy/religion, but Biology never attempts to explain the origins of the universe. Madness

are you serious?

are you serious?

Yes, do you have any further questions?

• Advertisement

was there any biology at the beginning of the universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

This is amazing.

Even Richard Dawkins has said that he's ok with ID being taught in religion classes.
    I have no objection to all kinds of daft ideas being taught in comparative religion classes but in science what we should teach is what there is evidence for and children should be encouraged to examine evidence.

I don't see any particular reason why it shouldn't be taught in religion classes, but it shouldn't be brought in to a class where children are supposed to learn to think critically and examine evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't see any particular reason why it shouldn't be taught in religion classes, but it shouldn't be brought in to a class where children are supposed to learn to think critically and examine evidence.

Obviously if they were examining the evidence for ID critically they would quickly see that there is no good evidence for it and dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

was there any biology at the beginning of the universe?

I suspect that was his point. The expectation that some aspect of Biology (Evolution) could discount all of the activities that God is credited with shows a serious lack of scientific understanding on the part of our fundementalist friends.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Obviously if they were examining the evidence for ID critically they would quickly see that there is no good evidence for it and dismiss it.

That depends on the teacher. A science teacher who supports creationism (and there are a couple) would quite easily be able to indoctrinate it in young minds.

I always found religion classes in school a bit odd - it always felt like 'ok, now here's the class that makes much less sense.'

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

This has to be stopped. it will make a joke of the education system, I have seen a lot of the poor brains that have been brainwashed, posting on YouTube, do we want Irish people to be like VFX in 15 years.

So is there any clear move to introduce ID in Northern Irish schools? Calls from one politician don't mean much, especially coming from the same party as the recent homophobic rantings etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Slightly OT but,
    Am I the only one who is extremely frightened by the increasing numbers of fundamentalists?
    I was in America recently and its very scary over there, it has to be brainwashing.

So is there any clear move to introduce ID in Northern Irish schools? Calls from one politician don't mean much, especially coming from the same party as the recent homophobic rantings etc...

Last I checked the DUP wre quite popular in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Last I checked the DUP wre quite popular in Northern Ireland.

In Ireland, being popular is the step right before people hate you.

In Ireland, being popular is the step right before people hate you.

In Ireland being hated is a sign that you are more powerful than those around you.

In Ireland being hated is a sign that you are more powerful than those around you.

And that a tribunal is imminent!

And that a tribunal is imminent!

>_>

<_<

*flees*

One politician who's chairman of the Northern Ireland monitoring commission on education...

One politician who's chairman of the Northern Ireland monitoring commission on education...

Granted. I'm just wondering if this is progressing at all since his comment.

This is amazing.

You going to elaborate or just make arrogant comments? I really don't see whats wrong with teaching "some people believe, albeit without evidence, ID explains the complexity of nature"

Then the class can discuss/debate etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

You going to elaborate or just make arrogant comments? I really don't see whats wrong with teaching "some people believe, albeit without evidence, ID explains the complexity of nature"

Then the class can discuss/debate etc

So you think it should be up to schoolchildren to decide what is scientifically valid or not? Should they discuss whether the theory of gravity is valid versus the Flat Earth Theories explanation?

So you think it should be up to schoolchildren to decide what is scientifically valid or not? Should they discuss whether the theory of gravity is valid versus the Flat Earth Theories explanation?

Okay I didn't say but I was picturing it in secondary school. So 12 year olds +

And it wouldn't be taught as fact. Like the way christianity isn't taught as fact in religion classes, in Ireland anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Okay I didn't say but I was picturing it in secondary school. So 12 year olds +

Right, schoolchildren.
    And it wouldn't be taught as fact. Like the way christianity isn't taught as fact in religion classes, in Ireland anyway

Ok, so if both sides are presented, why not more? Flying Spaghetti Monsterism? If not, why? Also, you don't see the danger in presenting evolution/ID side-by-side?

Advertisement