Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming back to Ireland with PGCE primary

• 07-08-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am just about to do my PGCE in Liverpool. I am hoping to either stay in England and teach or return to the middle east to work at an English school.

I don t see myself returning to Ireland anytime soon.
    However, can I return to Ireland and have my qualifications recognised? I don t have the honour in Irish. I have a B1 on the pass paper.
    To be honest my Irish is zero. If I have to repeat I would need to start off on the same level as a child.

1. Can the PGCE be recognised for teaching easily? What is the process? How long does it take?

2. I know I probably will have to re do Irish. I heard there is an Irish diploma that they will accept as well as the Leaving Cert. Is this true? In that case would the diploma be for a complete beginner? Would I need to pass anything else once I have this?

I was never strong in Irish and now I have zero knowledge. My grammar has always been terrible, as well as my spoken Irish. Is there any hope in learning for a hopeless case like myself?
    I don t think I am that bad in languages as I can speak French perfectly. I just had a bad start with Irish and lost interest. Teachers were not very encouraging and critisised all the time. I had it drilled into my head that I was rubbish at it.

I d love to hear from someone who has done this. Or anyone who knows about the Irish situation.

3. Finally about the job situation. I heard there are very few primary jobs but most of them are in Dublin.
    In fact my former headteacher said she would keep me on file if I return. She said alot of teachers are put off by the high cost of living in Dublin and schools in rough areas but there are jobs here. Does anyone know if that really is the case at the moment?

4. Just say there are complications or other problems with recognition/Irish etc. Is it possible to get a job with children be it in a nursery/montessori with the PGCE and my experience with children? I know that these professions don t have a fixed qualification and they can hire even unqualifieds if they so wish. Do primary teachers do this, if they can t find work?
    Or is it possible to sub in a primary school whilst your degree is getting recognised/or you are studying for the Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The teaching council handle all qualification queries and organise shortfal exams. If you want the definitive answer its best to give them a call or have a look at the site. http://www.teachingcouncil.ie

Advertisement