Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boardsies doing Tour of Kildare Sunday

Options
  • 07-08-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Somebody suggested putting together a list so here goes.

A few people (including myself) have the option of driving down from Dublin, and if the weather is bad I suppose that's a more attractive option.

In the interest of team spirit / minimising the carbon footprint, perhaps we could organise into car groups? If I drive down, there are two spaces on the rack and in the car, so PM me if you want a lift. Until those two spaces are accounted for, I'll stick a "Car spaces 2" next to my name (it helps if I already know you:)).

I know some boardsies are aiming to do it in 3 hours, others in 4. We could organise those people into groups on this list also.

I don't know if this will work, but I figure it's worth a go. With TinyExpolsions and Caroline_ie off the radar this weekend, our best organisers aren't here!:(

Boards group
    1. blorg
    2. el tonto
    3. E@gle
    4. kenmc (maybe)
    5. unionman (car spaces 2 SW inner city D8)
    6. MadHatter
    7. LDB (maybe)
    8. Aquinas 73 (1 car space, Ratoath)
    9. penexpers
    10. irishmotorist
    11. FrankGrimes
    12. 72Hundred
    13. Cadex (2 car spaces, north city)
    14. Itsfixed - 50k (Celbridge - offer of a car space if needed)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

2. blorg (car spaces 0) 3 hours

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Me and possibly my mate P. We may drive, but it's a Ford Ka and past experience indicates we'd only get two bikes into it. At the moment, looks like we'll cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

4. Im coming up from athlone in a mates car. So dont have any spaces

Hoping to do the thing in around 3:15 i'd say,

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

5. MadHatter (car spaces 0) - 3:30 (but happy to join a 4 hr group)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I’m hoping to go, but feeling lazy at the moment!

if I do

spare car spaces - 1 (if i could use the rack propelery then i'd have more space!)
    time - 4 hrs

It would be useful also to mention what direction we are coming from if people need lifts, me Northside

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

7. Aquinas (1 Space in car left) 4 hours and the rest:o

I'll be leaving from Ratoath if anyone needs a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

maybe.... 3-4 hours. unsure yet of cycling down or driving down or getting dropped down. will likely make the call on saturday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

LDB wrote: »
    It would be useful also to mention what direction we are coming from if people need lifts, me Northside

L

Good call. South west inner city / Dublin8 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Me! Cycling from Newbridge. Hoping to do it in around four hours or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'll be cycling down and aiming for about the 4 hour mark I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

unionman wrote: »
    With TinyExpolsions and Caroline_ie off the radar this weekend, our best organisers aren't here!:(

AAAwwwwwwww I am very touched!
    Here is my bike in Bordeaux yesterday !!
    Note: This is the colour the sky actually is in real.
    20080806_16.jpg?imgmax=512

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's probably no point splitting into two groups at the start. If people fancy it, we could pull off in a big group and split then if the pace gets too high.

I've no idea if 3 hours is doable or not. I'm working on the basis that there'll be marshalling and not too much in the way of traffic etc. If that isn't the case, it might be harder to keep a good pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'll be there though not sure yet how I'll get down, will know on Saturday.

Haven't met any of you lot before but guess I'll just wander up to somebody with a boards jersey on and say hey.

Looking forward to getting a taste of what riding in a bunch sharing the pace setting is like, but I'm new at this so will focus on riding my own race so as not to burnout too early and I have no intention of slowing anyone down, so drop it like it's hot when it comes to it lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Judging by comments here blorg will be the guy wearing the sandles and the boards jersey

Haven't met any of you lot before but guess I'll just wander up to somebody with a boards jersey on and say hey.

Don't be shy, none of us bite. Will probably be wearing my club kit, but I'm sure most of the lads will turn out in their boards gear.

E@gle. wrote: »
    Judging by comments here blorg will be the guy wearing the sandles and the boards jersey
    ...with an iron print :D Until Penexpers gets me my new jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Will be there, travelling from Waterford. Speed 2.5 - 3hrs depending on the speed of the groups.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Will be there, travelling from Waterford. Speed 2.5 - 3hrs depending on the speed of the groups.

Vrooooom. Be sure to come over to say hello at the start because I doubt if I'll be catching up with you once we get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hey, I am not quick at all ! But if a group head off at 40kph, I can hold a wheel (most of the time..terms and conditions apply)

Change of plan for me anyway, apparently I am racing in Mayo for the entire weekend even though I am nowhere near race condition at the minute. Its one thing riding hard at a constant pace, another the jumping around of racing and I have been rubbish for the last couple of months even in C races, never mind races with A riders in them. Last place beckons for me and my brand new and very prominent pot belly....! Good luck on Sunday folks, it looks like I will be riding a short TT at the time - and I will not even be putting it out of the small ring, not with a 100k road stage that afternoon not to mention the one the day before, will meet you all on the Sean Kelly instead.

Good luck with the racing Quigs. My own 3 hour plan is entirely dependent on getting behind El Tonto, after all it was his idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Yup I'm in the same boat! (-I'll be the ejgit in the orange jersey and on the red trek)

I might tag along with the boards group too if that's cool?

Also v v important question: Is there a student rate? I ask as I've a few friends that might come but the 45e mark is a little too high (we need to pay the 10 day licence fee aswell)

72oo

EDIT: I'd hope to do the 100k in about 3.30hrs, so I'll probably just fall off the 3hr group half way through.

72hundred wrote: »
    I might tag along with the boards group too if that's cool?

Also v v important question: Is there a student rate? I ask as I've a few friends that might come but the 45e mark is a little too high (we need to pay the 10 day licence fee aswell)

The more the merrier.

Given the fact that the proceeds are going towards charity, it wouldn't be out of order to ask a few people to sponsor you?

72hundred wrote: »

The 35 includes the license fee.

el tonto wrote: »
    The more the merrier.

Given the fact that the proceeds are going towards charity, it wouldn't be out of order to ask a few people to sponsor you?

That defo an option, hadn't thought of it.

I'm guessing thought that the organisers themselves aren't defining a student rate. Which is fair enough it just that the extra 10'er (for license) pushes it to 50 roughly ....

penexpers wrote: »

Crap it doesn't. Ignore me.

Are you sure? If so that brilliant news.

Only thing is that the Marie Keating Charity Website quotes this:
    * Payment 20kms Cycle €15
    50kms Cycle €35
    100kms Cycle €35
    Cycling Ireland If you hold a ‘Cycling Ireland’ License please enter the license number here
    License number:
    If you are not a member of ‘Cycling Ireland’ we must issue a day license to you. The fee for this is €10 and is payable on the day.

I thought that was 45 total. Is there anywhere official saying that I only pay 35 for 100km? (Fingers crossed there is!)

72oo

Crap it doesn't. Ignore me.

Ah dang it :(

I'm flying solo now, so will definitely be cycling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

AAAwwwwwwww I am very touched!
    Here is my bike in Bordeaux yesterday !!
    Note: This is the colour the sky actually is in real.

Wish I had my bike here -keep havin to walk places and I don't like it! Hope you're enjoyin France

• Advertisement

keep havin to walk places and I don't like it!
    Walking :eek:? What's that?

Advertisement